Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

FYI 645D will support tethering

All confirmed here

645D : Products : PENTAX

10-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #2

There is also a Youtube video of a Japanese photog using a Eye-Fi X2 Pro card and a Microsync Digital with a 645D and uploading wirelessly to LR3.

It's the first video after the jump on this blog post.

Last edited by etrigan63; 10-09-2010 at 07:14 PM.
10-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It never occurred to me to inquire about tethered shooting for the 645D, but now that I think about it not having some form of tethered shooting would be a real shot in the foot.
10-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
D W
Veteran Member

It would be great if they are able to implement Remote Assistant along with live view into PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4.

10-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
It would be great if they are able to implement Remote Assistant along with live view into PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4.
645D sensor can't support liveview, in fact no MF sensor can.................yet
10-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #6

Is that wierd translation or do I get ir wrong?
QuoteQuote:
A remote-access application will soon to be added to this software, allowing you to control your PC from a distance using the 645D.
Why would I want to control PC with 645D? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
10-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If K-7's "avionics" were nearly the same as 645D's could this mean the tool will be able to ctrl K-7 as well?

10-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
Is that wierd translation or do I get ir wrong?

Why would I want to control PC with 645D? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Cool ! As long as I can play Minesweeper on the 645D...
10-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
All confirmed here

645D : Products : PENTAX
Hallelujah! Please, please, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE say this is extended to the K-5 and K-7 at the very least, as well... ;-)

Edit: By the way, somebody (moderator, perhaps?) might want to edit the thread title to clarify that, so far, this is specific to the 645D. Obviously it's in the 645D forum, but folks clicking through from the recent threads list might -- like me -- not notice that.

Last edited by knoxploration; 10-28-2010 at 06:45 PM.
10-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

How long ago was the 645D first debuted?

Hopefully we won't ahve to wait that long for the tethering ability.

"A remote-access application will soon to be added to this software, allowing you to control your PC from a distance using the 645D."

So reading that and allowing for a bad translation, at some stage (whatever Pentax decide is "soon") a patch or update to the software will be released, but at this stage the "can't shoot tethered" remains correct.

...and with my pessimistic hat still on, the statement says "remote access" and talks about PC/Camera control .... so no specific mention of tethering still has me a bit worried.
10-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
How long ago was the 645D first debuted?

Hopefully we won't ahve to wait that long for the tethering ability.

"A remote-access application will soon to be added to this software, allowing you to control your PC from a distance using the 645D."

So reading that and allowing for a bad translation, at some stage (whatever Pentax decide is "soon") a patch or update to the software will be released, but at this stage the "can't shoot tethered" remains correct.

...and with my pessimistic hat still on, the statement says "remote access" and talks about PC/Camera control .... so no specific mention of tethering still has me a bit worried.
Tethering has different meanings to different people. Plenty of us (me included) would be just fine with the ability to remotely trigger a shot from an attached computer, and adjust only basic exposure-related settings (shutter, aperture, ISO, etc.)

Plenty of others would expect a full-featured live view stream and ability to change basically anything that can be changed in-camera.

I'm sure some would even be happy with just the ability to offload files immediately after capture, with all shooting performed using on-camera controls.

I would imagine what's coming will meet at least one of the above descriptions, but who knows which.
10-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Tethering has different meanings to different people. Plenty of us (me included) would be just fine with the ability to remotely trigger a shot from an attached computer, and adjust only basic exposure-related settings (shutter, aperture, ISO, etc.)

Plenty of others would expect a full-featured live view stream and ability to change basically anything that can be changed in-camera.

I'm sure some would even be happy with just the ability to offload files immediately after capture, with all shooting performed using on-camera controls.

I would imagine what's coming will meet at least one of the above descriptions, but who knows which.
Pentax had an app "Remote Assistant" to remotely control a digital camera and view the image on the computer after "exposure". They supported CCD sensors. It was up to version 3.5.1 (?) and then there were no more upgrading since the release of K7 which did not support it.

If it is priority in the scheme of things at Pentax then it should not take long to get a later version of it out by updating it.
10-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sounds good for the still life photographers out there.
10-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Pentax had an app "Remote Assistant" to remotely control a digital camera and view the image on the computer after "exposure". They supported CCD sensors. It was up to version 3.5.1 (?) and then there were no more upgrading since the release of K7 which did not support it.

If it is priority in the scheme of things at Pentax then it should not take long to get a later version of it out by updating it.
Yep, I'm aware of that, thanks...
10-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thats the advantage of having a "pro" camera ...

... in the line up. I suspect there's a team at Pentax assigned to follow the introduction and make sure that the 645D has what it needs to make the pros happy. These kinds of improvement may well trickle down to other models once implemented for the pro models - one can but hope.

Would this niche item have been worked on without the 645D? Perhaps so, perhaps not.