Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

Pentax 67 - little switch with "M" written on it on right side.

Hi, I've searched all over the internet for information and can't find it, so I thought I'd post here.

I am a happy 67 user, with a gamut of lenses and cameras. I have recently bought a few lots of cameras/lenses with the intention of selling off what I didn't want.

Anyway, I came upon something strange. One Pentax 6x7 camera has a small metal switch on the right side right next to the 120/220 switch. It pivots either way, and holds down a small button when in the center of it's travel. There is a "M" inscribed on the body.

I couldn't find any references to this switch/button anywhere, but I could just be using the wrong terminology. So my question is, does anyone know what it is or where it came from?

My only guess is that it is a multi-exposure modification, but I can't test that without wasting some film which I don't want to do.

Thanks! Also, thanks for the excellent resource this site provides!

12-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I saw one of these on ebay and it was advertized as having the multiple exposure mod from the factory. I believe you engage it prior to cocking the shutter. It simply disengages the film winding mechansim, ala multiple exposure.
12-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Any idea what that auction went for? I was considering keeping this body if it was in fact a multi-exposure mod but I really don't need it.

Also there was three posts that got deleted, what happened?
12-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Corran Quote
Also there was three posts that got deleted, what happened?
The database was "accidentally deleted". All posts for a day are lost.

12-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Corran Quote
Any idea what that auction went for? I was considering keeping this body if it was in fact a multi-exposure mod but I really don't need it.
No idea.
12-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
Just a follow up for those who might come later and have the same question:

It is in fact a multi-exposure mod. The switch actually "locks" on either side of a small post, and when "M" is showing it won't advance the film when the lever is cocked, and when it's shifted to hide the "M" the camera operates normally.

I decided to keep the camera for myself since it's a rare mod. Unless I'm able to swing a really good price. If anyone has got an idea of its value I'd be interested to know.

Thanks for the help guys.

Here's a picture for posterity:
Attached Images

12-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for the picture. I've never seen that feature before. You should document it in the 67 section of the camera review.

01-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #8

"M" switch on the side of the Pentax 6x7

"M" switch on the side of the Pentax 6x7 is used for multiple exposures // rare switch ...the camera had to be sent to Pentax to have modified for the switch to be added on
01-31-2019, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The OP has long-gone, but this information could possibly be made into a Sticky here on Pentax Forums for the reference of other members who find themselves with this "...unusual silver switch with M for Murder? on it..."

The switch is a Pentax factory-modification to enable the camera to make multiple exposures – no limit!
It is a fairly rare feature (my camera has it, and I am sort of addicted to "overlaying" exposures for creative effect), and much valued on those cameras that do have it.

The modus operandi of the 'ME' swich is thus—

1. Compose and fire the camera, but do not wind on.
2. Push down the button so that the M is showing
3. Make the next exposure, and if no more exposures on the same frame are required, return the swich so that the M is hidden
4. Wind on the film.