Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

6X7 Metered Prism

Hi folks, I'm new to the Pentax 6X7 and to this forum as well. I've just bought one off of flea bay, but still have not gotten my lens yet. In going over the camera, I noticed that the metered prism would not turn on. Does a lens have to be attached for the prism to turn on?
Also, the film rewind lever seems to be very hard or stiff to turn. I'm use to the 35mm cameras so is that normal for this tank?
I'm sure these questions are answered in the owners manual, but I don't have one of those yet either. It too, however, is on the way. Looking forward to your replies and thanks.

09-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
The 6x7 body should have a battery install and should then light up the test lamp. With this being all set, the meter contacts should be in good clean condition, they are located below the prism and on the opening for the prism. You say you have no lens yet... try both of these. ... I hope you review a manual anyway or I've lost you somewhere back there.

With all checked and prism properly mounted, look in the mount of the camera along the top flange opening for the lens. A metal tab rest inside, you should be able to move it from left to right... if facing it. That would be move a bit over to represent a lens mounted. So if you move it while looking through, you should see the meter move... turn on the meter first... if it works, you have operated the meter in "Auto" mode. If no, then it could be ASA not set high enough... or dead.

The second is the pin that sticks out of the lens release tab on the mount face to the right. That little pin is pushed when the lens is set to 'MANUAL' mode. Your meter has two modes and so while looking and pressing the pin the meter will jump to life in "stop-down" mode. If no... as above

"STIFF" advance lever is not sounding good... more about later when you test the meter.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-14-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: extra image
09-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. I did put a fresh battery in the camera and the test light lights up ok. I checked the contacts and they look very clean. I then turned the meter on and pushed the tab over as you indicated and nothing, nada. I did the same with the pin and results were the same.
It appears this meter is dead eventhough the seller said it was working perfectly. Some ebay sellers are...well, I want go there.
Does anyone know anything else I should try before I pack it up and send it back?
09-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

It is common that in "M" mode that it would work as this circuit gets less use and therefore more likely still working. Did you try shining a bright light into the mount during tests?

Oh! I forgot! Is the tab working? When you move the Aperture tab, the TTL tab and chain should move too.

Which version is the TTL meter?

Honeywell Pentax name badge and an "H" stamp with a ON only switch
Asahi Pentax name badge and the "AOCo" stamp with a ON only switch
Asahi Pentax name with "AOCo" stamp and a ON/OFF switch
Pentax name with a ON/OFF switch
...last I observed, these are know version and I've found one that was fudge together by a seller from a combo of new version badge on an "H" body... "as-is" sale

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-15-2011 at 05:53 AM.
09-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
I did shine a bright flashlight into the mount, no difference. The TTL tab and chain are working fine. The prism is stamped with the words Asahi Op Co, Japan, and it does have an on/off switch.
Actually, the switch is spring loaded and when you push it to either on or off, it automatically springs back to the center when you let it go. Is that the correct operation?
09-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, spring loaded on/off is normal for the Asahi. There was only a small percentage of Asahis with the one way switch.
09-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Giveaway winner!

Well, you've tried all that I'm able to think of and nothing worked. So I personally think it is dead or to say it may need to be overhauled to replace the capacitors.

09-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yes I think so. Off to the shop it goes. Thank you all for your help.