Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photo exhibit including prints from 645D images

Anyone in the Phoenix AZ area with a liking for photography in general, or seeing some Pentax 645D prints in particular , is invited to attend a free public exhibit running from Oct. 30 - Nov. 10, 2012. This year, along with 3 other collaborating photographers, I did an exchange project that took us all to locations around Arizona and Alberta. The 2 of us Albertans are showing work we made in Arizona, while the 2 Arizonans are showing work from Alberta. The show will contain 80 prints in total, 20 from each of us.

All of my work was done on my 645D, much of it while I was fighting with the camera's dying shutter. (Described elsewhere.) I used a limited set of lenses, trying to keep my traveling kit as light as possible. In the end, the exhibit prints are almost all from images shot with the FA 45-85mm or the FA 150-300mm, with perhaps 1 or 2 with the FA 35mm. Quite a few of the images were really pushing against type for what the 645D was designed for -- hand-held, available darkness situations with the ISO cranked to 1600. Slow shutter speeds / wide apertures for creative blurring and/or shallow depth of field. Or sometimes action & street-shooting situations where the slower performance of the camera added a certain quality of guesswork to what I might get out of the setup. Naturally, I also did some tripod mounted golden hour grand vistas... it was Arizona, after all.

Through everything, even despite the failing shutter, I found very few situations where I could not do my work with the 645D and super minimal kit. Though sometimes I had to bend my intentions to fit within the constraints of the system. My Alberta team mate was shooting a Nikon D800, and the Arizonans were on Canons. But I say -- cutting edge 35mm über-cams be damned!

If there are any printing fans here, I'll note that I've done my entire set as warm-toned B&W conversions. (I do a bunch of digital darkroom work too.) The prints are done for me by a really excellent Calgary-based printer (Costas Costoulas at Resolve Photo) using a large format Epson converted to the Jon Cone K7 neutral carbon inkset. The paper is Hahnemuhle Bamboo, a warmish heavy smooth matte stock. I really love this combination! Phenomenal detail, beautiful rendition of tones all the way from deep & heavy blacks to subtly detailed highlights. I can't stand the thought of printing my B&W work with anything but the K7 carbon system now... unless it will be Cone's new K6 MPS system that can do carbon on both matte and glossy stock. Print sizes are modest, since we're limited by framing size anyway; most are 12 x 15 (I frequently crop to a 4x5 aspect ratio) matted up to fit the frames. At that print size I'm actually down-sampling the cropped 645D files.

As I said, the exhibit will run from Oct. 30 - Nov. 10. It's at the Art Intersection Gallery in Gilbert, AZ. The 4 of us photographers will be at a reception the evening of Nov. 7. More info can be found on my blog:
Arizona / Alberta Photography Exchange 2012 Launch Events

And here's a teaser image from my set...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 

Last edited by Royce Howland; 10-11-2012 at 01:37 PM.
10-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would love to go, but I'm afraid I'm a long ways away. That's simply an awesome image. Wow.
10-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Great project! I plan on being there at the reception!
10-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks! Ole, I'll look forward to seeing you there!

We will have exhibits in the Calgary area early next year as well, if that's closer for some people. Still finalizing details but should have the info out soon...

10-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Great picture—a shame there's an ocean between us.
11-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

I stopped by today and there was quite a crowd! I can only recommend that Phoenix Pentaxians - and others - grab this opportunity to see some great images from Arizona and Alberta!
11-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for that note. The reception went very well and I really liked this gallery in Gilbert. But I still didn't have enough time to get to meet everyone who came! The exhibit will be up for another couple of days...

11-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great show in AZ

I was at the Royce's opening and must say it was a very fine show, beautifully shot, printed and hung. And the 645D prints were gorgeous! Thank you Royce for coming to Arizona and sharing your vision.

Kerrick
11-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
Cheers, Kerrick. It was great seeing you again, and thanks for the kind words. We'll do it again...
11-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lovely image, wish I could see the exhibit. Do you have any more images from it that you could post on here?
11-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ryan, I will be posting the whole series online before long. The exhibit at Art Intersection in Gilbert was just the first venue of several for this group show, over the next few months. Once we finish nailing down production of all our material for the Calgary area events, I will turn my attention to setting up an online gallery.
11-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very cool, I look forward to seeing the images.
12-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
This weekend I finally had time to finish organizing JPEG's of my main images from this exhibit. For starters I've uploaded them to my 500px portfolio:
Royce Howland

Our first Calgary-area exhibit of prints from this project will be happening next month (January 2013). Details here:
New Exhibit — Arizona! People & Places

Other Calgary-area exhibits will be happening right after that, as part of the big Exposure 2013 photography festival that runs in Calgary, Canmore & Banff. Info on those events is here:
Exposure 2013 Photography Festival Exhibit @ Calgary Public Library | The IRIS Photographic Society of Alberta
Exposure 2013 Photography Festival Exhibit @ St. Mary’s University College | The IRIS Photographic Society of Alberta

Any Pentaxians (or others ) in the Calgary area during Q1 2013 are invited to come out...
12-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

After seeing a number of shots from this project, I'm wondering if this is photo sharing or simply self-aggrandizement and marketing via Pentax forums?
12-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #15

Original Poster
If the forum admins have an issue with anything I've posted or linked, I'm sure they'll let me know and I'll happily remove it.

Self-aggrandizement? Perhaps, in a benign fashion. But mainly it's about the work. It's hard to make an impact with anything if one doesn't put the word out. So as for marketing, sure, though again pretty benign. Nobody will be charged a dime to come to any of the exhibits, or get dragged into anything they're not interested in. Those of us behind this project in both Arizona and Alberta are doing the work through a pair of non-profit organizations, so there's no money-making motive going on here... just some efforts at community building through photography.