Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First roll complete...

Finally complete my first roll, Kodak Ektar 100 w/ P67II + 105mm! My first ever 120 film.
I carried it with me while I shoot mostly with my digital, only the absolutely nice shot (after capturing with K5), I pull out the beast.

Will bring it to develop tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't mess it up!!

08-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a lovely piece of kit! Keep wanting to go MF myself, but my digital gear still needs filled out. Look forward to the pics.
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes very nice!

Phil.
08-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is a little scary as it is more than a dollar a click for me (negative + develop)! 0.0

08-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

$1 per click is nothing. My K5 cost me more in $ per good photos. Especially with the depreciation as I bought it at full price. That's 1000+ good photos right there. (My good photo hit rate is a lot higher on MF than APSC).
08-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would keep going even when it is $10 per click. Make every photo count! And with the 67ii and a good eye, it's not an impossible task.
08-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got the negative back, as well as printed photo.
Surprisingly, I nailed the focus 9/10, while shooting at f2.4 and f2.8. It is easier than I thought with shooting film!

I put myself in difficult position as I shoot about 2/3 of them in backlit situation.
I shoot in Av mode, and I wanted brighter picture, so I have +1/3EV on all of them. The way I meter is mostly using center point metering, then using exposure lock to lock the exposure value (The way I I started to shoot in Av mode in DSLR). Some of them still a little darker than I would like, not sure if this is due to development of the negatives or what.

For few shots, the shutter speed go as low as 1/45, and surprisingly, I don't see blurring (well, maybe the 1/10 that I think is OOF is actually due to shake).

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the result, and can't wait to scan them this weekend. The prints is only 4x6, while I specifically ask the store to "print the whole frame" while leaving the side border blank, they cut my frame to fill the 4x6. Will have to scan them myself this weekend to get the whole 6x7 experience -- now reading on how to scan using Epson v500 to maintain the film colors, I don't plan to do any processing except maybe push the EV on some.

Will post a photo of the prints tonight!

Edit: Here is the outcome! 9/10 (1/10 is more or less the same as one of the 9, so did not include that)

Last edited by LFLee; 08-08-2013 at 03:57 PM.
08-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks great, some of them look underexposed and bit pushed. Film isn't great at recovering shadows. That's digital, film will have grainy shadows. If you try to recover highlights film is fantastic. Also for people shots I recommend not to use ektar. The skin will be too red and it has smaller latitude than films better suited to that task.
Get some kodak portra 400 or fuji pro 400h and shoot them at iso 200 (or even 100). Both look great with skin (that's what they are for) and will give you better shutter speed. With 67 it's advised to keep it at or above 1/250.

Last of all, get an incident light meter. You will never play around with shutter speeds again. Not to mention you will nail every exposure.
08-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Looks great, some of them look underexposed and bit pushed. Film isn't great at recovering shadows. That's digital, film will have grainy shadows. If you try to recover highlights film is fantastic. Also for people shots I recommend not to use ektar. The skin will be too red and it has smaller latitude than films better suited to that task.
Get some kodak portra 400 or fuji pro 400h and shoot them at iso 200 (or even 100). Both look great with skin (that's what they are for) and will give you better shutter speed. With 67 it's advised to keep it at or above 1/250.

Last of all, get an incident light meter. You will never play around with shutter speeds again. Not to mention you will nail every exposure.
I use Ektar because some people recommend it for portrait...

But that's some great advise! Thanks! So basically 1 stop/2 stop overexpose, how is this compare to using the exposure compensation to +1Ev/+2Ev?
I think I will get Portra 400 as you mentioned, heard good things about them.
08-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like both, Portra has bit more punchy colours. Get a roll of each, play around with settings and take notes. Then you will know what looks best to you.

And yes, it's 1 or 2 stop overexposure for whole roll. you can add even more with the EV settings later, you don't want to use up your ev range from the start and not be able to overexpose more. Don't worry, those films can handle easily +5EV.

I also like Ektar, but not for people. It's very saturated and contrasty, like slide film and it's great for everything else.

Anyway, here's pro 400h shot at iso 200 (or maybe even 100, measured using incident meter) at golden hour.

here's some portra 400 shot at iso 200 (using TTL meter in pentax mx).

08-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I like both, Portra has bit more punchy colours. Get a roll of each, play around with settings and take notes. Then you will know what looks best to you.

And yes, it's 1 or 2 stop overexposure for whole roll. you can add even more with the EV settings later, you don't want to use up your ev range from the start and not be able to overexpose more. Don't worry, those films can handle easily +5EV.

I also like Ektar, but not for people. It's very saturated and contrasty, like slide film and it's great for everything else.

Anyway, here's pro 400h shot at iso 200 (or maybe even 100, measured using incident meter) at golden hour.

here's some portra 400 shot at iso 200 (using TTL meter in pentax mx).

Thanks for sharing, I like the Portra color, will try it your way!
08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The way I meter is mostly using center point metering, then using exposure lock to lock the exposure value
Good stuff! Try the matrix metering mode & leave the shutter on “Automatic” setting, then leave everything else alone.

The matrix metering is very accurate and it will give you a good idea what the AE prism is capable of.

I’d also recommend trying some b&w, it’s a bit more forgiving.

Happy shooting!

Phil.
08-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Good stuff! Try the matrix metering mode & leave the shutter on “Automatic” setting, then leave everything else alone.

The matrix metering is very accurate and it will give you a good idea what the AE prism is capable of.

I’d also recommend trying some b&w, it’s a bit more forgiving.

Happy shooting!

Phil.
Hi Phil.... use the matrix metering even in backlit situation (I like to shoot this way)?
I read many places that the matrix metering is very accurate, but in backlit situation?
08-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Hi Phil.... use the matrix metering even in backlit situation (I like to shoot this way)?
I read many places that the matrix metering is very accurate, but in backlit situation?
Try a test roll of b&w and let the AE’s matrix do its thing, then bracket with the exposure compensation if you think it’s needed.

I just got my 67ii/AE two months ago and am putting the different meter modes through various tests.

It’s the only way for me to figure out what it’s capable of doing. Just make sure you record the mode/shutter speed/aperture/exposure comp for each shot so you can compare after you get the film processed.

Phil.
08-10-2013, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

To help you out and get an idea what film is capable of, someone did some exposure tests using an incident lightmeter, so there was no second guessing what it should be. Also you can get an idea of what the film looks like when it's overexposed.

Portra 400 test: Portra 400 test - a set on Flickr
Ektar 100 test: Ektar 100 Test - a set on Flickr
Older Portra 400NC test with up to +10 and +12 overexposure: Portra 400NC test - a set on Flickr

As you can see from the tests, don't be afraid to give it more light, problems start if you don't give it enough.