Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #1

Is this a shutter problem? (6x7 with MLU)

What would account for a thin darkened band along the short edge of my 6x7 images? Assuming the attachment works you can see what I am talking about at the extreme top of the image, in the sky. This is not a scanning artifact as the effect is evident on the slide itself. It is most noticeable whenever there is a uniform region (such as sky) across that edge of the image. The only thing I could think of was maybe the shutter is somehow hanging up at the extreme end of its travel; although that would be a little surprising since I just had the camera CLA'd. Any thoughts?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LS-9000  Photo 
12-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Is it across the top or bottom in landscape orientation too?
12-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
It is always on the short section which corresponds to:
- the top of the image in vertical orientation, or
- the right side of the image in horizontal orientation.

In terms of the actual film plane (since the image is inverted on the film plane), this corresponds to the left side of the camera as viewed from the rear (i.e., the side from which the film door opens). Hope that makes sense!
12-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My old Honeywell does this but only in very cold weather (<30F). It is from the shutter. It may be that the second curtain is getting delayed at closing?

02-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

Just to bump this thread, I have a similar effect with my 67, which is a bright band on the right side of the image.

You can see it on the first and last picture in this posting
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/899780-post41.html

I guess that a bright band could be a delayed 2nd curtain, while a dark band could be a delayed 1st curtain, right?
02-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
Forum Member

does the shutter curtain travel vertically or horizontally on the 67 ?
normally it should slide vertically (to allow faster shutter speeds because of the shorter distance it has to travel).

that would mean that the shutter is not the problem here, because then the band would be on the long edge of the image...
02-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Forum Member

I'm pretty sure the shutter travels from left to right (viewed through the bayonet) so the offending band would be located at the end of the shutter path.

02-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #8

Original Poster
I probably should have followed up on this earlier. Although I haven't yet fixed the problem, I have discovered the apparent cause of the effect after emailing Eric Hendrickson. According to him,
"In your picture, the dark line at the very edge indicates the shutter bounce system is going bad. It usually shows up on faster speeds but can progress to the slower speeds in time. What happens is the second curtain comes back into the format and blocks the light leaving that part underexposed. I can replace the bounce system for you. "
Patrick, I can't say for sure what you are seeing is due to the same problem. But it is interesting that it appears as a light stripe instead of darker as in mine. Not sure what that means!

In my case this problem started showing up after I sent the camera in to Eric for a more generic shutter problem and some other things. Since then I have also noticed that the image spacing varies, so I may have a film advance problem too. All of this has me wondering about the overall reliability of this model. But I suppose that is a topic for another thread.
02-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Denverdad Quote
I probably should have followed up on this earlier. Although I haven't yet fixed the problem, I have discovered the apparent cause of the effect after emailing Eric Hendrickson. According to him,
"In your picture, the dark line at the very edge indicates the shutter bounce system is going bad. It usually shows up on faster speeds but can progress to the slower speeds in time. What happens is the second curtain comes back into the format and blocks the light leaving that part underexposed. I can replace the bounce system for you. "
Patrick, I can't say for sure what you are seeing is due to the same problem. But it is interesting that it appears as a light stripe instead of darker as in mine. Not sure what that means!

In my case this problem started showing up after I sent the camera in to Eric for a more generic shutter problem and some other things. Since then I have also noticed that the image spacing varies, so I may have a film advance problem too. All of this has me wondering about the overall reliability of this model. But I suppose that is a topic for another thread.
That is definitely shutter bounce. The 6x7 is perfectly reliable, but like all machines, they sometimes do require some maintenance as they age.
To question the camera's reliability when a minor part has worn out (or more likely dried out with age) is like questioning the reliability of a car engine when you never change the oil and it kaaks on you.