Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q-to-K Adapter

Here is the adapter by itself:

• Multiplies focal length by approximately 5.5 times.
  • Compatibility with a full range* of K-mount lenses to open up new photographic possibilities.
  • Shutter speeds of 1/1000th second to 30 seconds.
  • Compatible with in-camera Shake Reduction by inputting the focal length of the mounted lens.
  • Extra-powerful super-telephoto shooting.
  • Built-in mechanical shutter to prevent “rolling shutter distortion”.
  • Manual aperture control possible.

09-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just pre-ordered mine from B&H!
09-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Moo

I think we'll have to wait and see what that aperture system is like... I'm guessing it's completely manual on all lenses.
09-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
I think we'll have to wait and see what that aperture system is like... I'm guessing it's completely manual on all lenses.
Given that it has no contacts or lever, I think that is a given.

09-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Built-in mechanical shutter to prevent “rolling shutter distortion”.
How does this work?
09-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
How does this work?
Beats me. I just reported what Pentax is officially claiming. The unit looks entirely manual from the lack of contacts or levers to interface with the lens.
09-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

while it is clearly mechanical on the lens mount end, in order to operate that shutter there will have to be an interface with the camera on the mount end. otherwise it will control da lens apertures via the arm you can see (just like my micro 4/3 adapter).

09-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
And now I have a reason to purchase a Q
09-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
And now I have a reason to purchase a Q
It is nice, pricey, but nice. If I hadn't just gotten the DA15 when the Q was on that Groupon deal.....even so I had one in my cart several times.
09-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Multiplies focal length by approximately 5.5 times
So a Sigma 300mm f2.8 "might" still retain the original aperature?? But then also be an effective 1650mm!?! Ouch
09-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBrown Quote
Just pre-ordered mine from B&H!
I did the same. A bit pricey but if it works well it will be worth it.

As for the aperture control I believe that this is used to communicate an aperture to the Q body. I already use several different adapters and they work quite well (a Leica lens on the Q gives stunning results) but the camera has no aperture information to work with. By incorporating an aperture control into the adapter I suspect that Pentax is trying to provide a way that the camera can "read" the aperture and perhaps even control it electronically.

Just a guess. I won't know anything certain until the adapter ships.
09-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #12

It has to have some sort of interface to the camera body in order for the shutter to work.
09-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It has to have some sort of interface to the camera body in order for the shutter to work.
Not sure what you mean about the shutter needing a communication with the lens so that it can work? Neither my Leica LTM adapter nor my Minolta MC/MD adapter have any electronic communication with the Q. The aperture indicator in the viewfinder shows the little lines with no value recorded. I use wide open aperture on the lens to focus, then stop down (if I want), set the shutter and take my shot. Seems to work fine as long as I have a decent idea what my metering should be. I did have a Fotodiox K to Q adapter as well but sent it back because of build problems. That adapter did not communicate electronically either. The Q still worked with it.

Obviously all this is done in Manual mode because you cannot use any Program Modes. That is what I hope the new Pentax adapter will allow. It would be nice to use some of these lenses in Aperture Priority.
09-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #14

Do those adapters you mention have built-in mechanical shutters? What do you have to do to trigger the built-in shutter? Cock the shutter on the adapter, set the camera to bulb, press the camera shutter and hold and then press a shutter release on the the adapter? Pentax isn't going to sell very many adapters if this is the case.

The Novaflex Minolta MD to Q adapter listed on B&H doesn't mention a mechanical shutter. Nor do any of the two or three Leica LTM to Q adapters I looked at from a Google search.
09-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

In addition to the lens shutters in the lenses sold with the camera, the Q also has an electronic shutter. This is the shutter that fires for those manual lenses used with those adapters. None of the adapters I have are equipped with shutters, or any electronics whatsoever. They are strictly adapters designed to place the lens the proper distance from the sensor to properly focus. On one side they have the male side of the Q mount to attach to the camera, on the other side they have the female side of the lens being attached. That is it.

But that simple little adapter gives access to hundreds and hundreds of lenses. This is my hummingbird feeder captured from about 10 feet away with my Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanther. I have dozens of lenses to try. Pentax lenses, Minolta lenses and Leica thread mount lenses. The only problem I have run into yet is that I cannot figure out how to get external flash to work properly with the camera. Fortunately the on-board flash is pretty capable at reasonable distances.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo