Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I did the update, worked fine....

new changes are great. so far the only thing I really dont care much for was#2, but I can see how it can be useful to some..

all the ISO added controls are great (OK btn plus e-dial can set ISO speed w/o going to menu in P/Tv/Av/M/B/X) even the ISO to e-dial in Av and Tv is very very helpful

#6 is a toss up, i know some have complained about that....

# 7 is somewhat handy to me

good one pentax

01-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did it yesterday evening and it worked very easy. Really haven't a need or a problem with any of it before but appreciated having the update.
01-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FW 1.10 any effect on FPS?

Has anyone noticed whether the new FW has affected the rate of continuous shooting?

There was speculation elsewhere that the fix for vertical banding might require fairly intensive computation and I was wondering if there was any evidence of any slowdown.

I will be installing it anyway as I am keen on the wireless flash, though I notice that HS wireless flash is not enabled.

dave
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
But they completely ignored the larger issue of color pattern noise, (also looking like banding), the HyperProgram & Auto ISO bug, and now that the new (UK) Digital SLR User has an eight page head-to-head between the Samsung GX-10 & K10D, and they comment:
Wow! What have you done for me *lately*?
We should all take heart that Pentax has addressed so many issues so quickly - and you can bet they got much of their information from these forums.

'The Samsung delivers consistently cleaner results (at all ISO) demonstrating a slightly different approach to NR. The results from the D80 lie between the two.'

It appears from the article that there is more to the image processing then just noise reduction.
As far as noise reduction goes, I'd much rather have less of it done by the camera and more of it done by me.
If you're looking for something else, then get either the Nikon or the Samsung!

The possibility then exists with this processor set-up - to tweak this in firmware, - another thing Pentax is either blissfully ignoring and the K10D can have the option of cleaner JPGs than the D80 to further knock the competition, or are they are updating the firmware in stages and eventually also with the possibly of higher bit raw files.
Perhaps Pentax looks at the Nikon images as over-sharpened?

Sheesh - if there's one thing that bothers me as much as the "megapixel race" it's the "tack sharp" race. How many of those 'soft' images are you *really* going to print larger than 8" by 10"?

Another thing ignored is that the K10D compresses Raw files to jpeg to approx 2.2mb at HIGHEST quality, while others like Canon/Nikon compress to about 3.3mb. That's a tweak that would improve quality - or at least the option to choose a less compressed jpeg.
Are you seeing JPEG artifacts in those 2.2MB JPEGs?

I guess this might screw up the all important 3.1 frames per second as nobody is able to choose the decisive moment anymore.
They could have marketed a 2.0 FPS camera about as well as an 8-megapixel one, and because of either Pentax would die as a company. We don't always agree with or care for the marketing aspects despite the fact that we need them to work.

01-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote

Perhaps Pentax looks at the Nikon images as over-sharpened?

How many of those 'soft' images are you *really* going to print larger than 8" by 10"?
All you are saying is what you prefer (or even Pentax) - which is fine. The option should be available to use edge/acutance/unsharp mask type sharpening if it can be offered. My point is purely asking them for a choice, and current in-camera controls don't offer this. (No, Bright is the same sharpening as the sharpening control) Many need jpg's for their workflow, so can't use RAW, but want all the other K10D great features. That small IQ tweak would also gain many buyers who are on the fence, and judge jpeg IQ by what reviewers (not just Phil) feel is important. (as long as the current way remains as a choice, too)

I wasn't the one that wrote a review nicely and politely pointing out that it was difficult to find the correct workarounds to overcome certain related issues, or that past ISO 1000 has troble being as acceptable as 3200 in your other Pentax. I didn't attack you when you politely pointed out the various modes, and the newest ones you found happily useless in how you shoot. I only suggested that you put certain comments you made on suggestions for firmware into your review, since Pentax might notice. You do what you do, you like what you like, and so do I. A choice should be offered with this sharpness issue as it is not a big request, if possible in firmware. I want the choice. Obviously I don't want the Nikon, etc. for the many other K10D features I really like. Doesn't hurt Pentax to make the camera as versatile as it inherently can be.

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Are you seeing JPEG artifacts in those 2.2MB JPEGs?
The only point here is that they are compressed more. More is lost. Maybe a 4 star jpeg choice offering less compression. At the bottom of this page of this review explores this more than I can.

http://www.e-fotografija.si/templates/?a=679&z=1&page=4

Asking me how large I will print, and how clearly I see these things is pointless. If there is room for technical improvement with the way the hardware currently is, the current owners deserve this, and not negating excuses of that its good enough, and will I see a difference on an 8x10.

I agree that it is great to see that Pentax got this firmware update out quickly. If I don't sound gushingly grateful, then I'm sorry. Thank You Pentax.

Last edited by mutley; 01-19-2007 at 07:22 PM.
01-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I agree that it is great to see that Pentax got this firmware update out quickly. If I don't sound gushingly grateful, then I'm sorry. Thank You Pentax.
Good to hear. I've been listening to 'Pentax should do X like Canon' or 'Pentax should do Y like Nikon' for the last two years, all the while I've been incredibly happy with my Pentax products. They're a smaller company than the others, and they have limited time and budget. I think they try their best to innovate and do a pretty good job at it. They work more incrementally and perhaps slower than a bigger company would.
I do hope that we see future firmware updates making the K10 better. I think we're off to a good start.

--Sean
01-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Got my K10D and Sigma lenses.... Love it.... meanwhile...

Could someone post the actual name of the firmware update file? It should be something like kc1e102w.EXE.

Thanks

01-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fwdc162b.bin
01-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Fwdc162b.bin
Thanks, but that isn't it.

What I was looking for was the name of the executable that contained the .bin file. I was thinking that maybe Pentax might not have a link up for the new firmware on their site, but it may be on the server.

For example, the link for the K100D 1.02 firmware is

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/fw_files/k100d_fw/kc_e102w.EXE

so maybe the new K10D firmware could be found at

...pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/fw_files/k10d_fw/xx_xxxxx.EXE

Same situation with the firmware on the Japanese server, where the firmware for the K100D is

http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/ja/dls/FIRMWARE/kc_e102w.EXE

Long shot, but I'd thought I'd give it a try...

Last edited by brett; 01-20-2007 at 01:46 PM.
01-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"K10D_firmware_1.10.zip" is what came through from the link mentioned in message #9 of this thread
01-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

K10v110w.exe

windows

k10v110m.hqx

for mac
01-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #27

I also installed the 1.10 firmware without problems and I really love the new features.

Great job Pentax! Now for the next firmware, please give us a quicker way to change the white balance, it would make K10D's ergonomy (almost) perfect.

Last edited by Lazar; 04-16-2007 at 01:45 AM.
01-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Question...

Sorry, I'm little slow with technology...

When directions say "copy the file to the SD card root directory" - I formated it fine and copied it... Is it in the right place? Not in the "DCIM folder", right?

Thanks!
D
Attached Images

01-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazar Quote
I also installed the 1.10 firmware without problems and I really love the new features.

Great job Pentax! Now for the next firmware, please give us a quicker way to change the white balance, it would make the K10D's ergonomy perfect.
you got it, that be the root directory
01-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thank you Jon!

Updated flawlessly, love these new changes, specially ISO controls via E-dial!

Regards,
D