Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #1

Pentax 50th Anniversary Asahi DSLR

Just a K10D minus the pop-up flash and a different viewfinder.
In the Pentax Square in Shinjuku, Japan Pentax has revealed a special 50th Anniversary edition 'Design Study Model' digital SLR with the tentative name of 'Asahi Pentax'. This prototype camera is based on the K10D (as is obvious on closer inspection) but has a very different viewfinder, which is of the same design as that found on the very first Asahi Pentax from 1957, the first Japanese SLR with a fixed pentaprism viewfinder. Note that there are no plans to put this camera into production, rather it is a celebration of Pentax's 50th anniversary and their long contribution to SLR photography.
Pentax 50th Anniversary Asahi Pentax DSLR: Digital Photography Review

More Photos
ペンタックス、クラシック調デジタル一眼レフのコンセプトモデル

Looks nice, I don't think I would buy it. Come on Pentax, any other DSLR news???

06-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WildSioux Quote
They've answered my prayers! A K10D with a bigger, brighter viewfinder and better support for older lenses (better metering, scroll wheels control exposure compensation, non-crippled KAF2 mount)...

Fingers crossed...
06-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
They've answered my prayers! A K10D with a bigger, brighter viewfinder and better support for older lenses (better metering, scroll wheels control exposure compensation, non-crippled KAF2 mount)...
I don't see anything to suggest a different viewfinder or better support for old lenses. Just restyled top and bottom plates with a matching restyled DA 40mm "Takumar" to match. But I do think it looks cool; I like the classic penta-prism look.

(BTW, the viewfinder issue is due to the fact that the focusing screen is 2/3 the size of a film SLR. The K10D viewfinder image is brighter than my LX, but the image is smaller and harder to focus manually. I'd love an enhanced manual focus screen for the K10D such as the ones that Canon offers for their better DSLRs.)
06-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
I don't see anything to suggest a different viewfinder or better support for old lenses.
Don't burst my bubble, man! Can't a man have a dream?!?

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
I'd love an enhanced manual focus screen for the K10D such as the ones that Canon offers for their better DSLRs.)
AMEN! E-mail Pentax, copy that line, paste it in, send.

06-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ugly yet somehow very cool looking collectors item
06-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like it, oddly enough. I wouldn't miss the flash as I never use one and I kinda like the retro stylings/ Wonder if they'll ever put it into production?
06-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WildSioux Quote
In the Pentax Square in Shinjuku, Japan Pentax has revealed a special 50th Anniversary edition 'Design Study Model' digital SLR with the tentative name of 'Asahi Pentax'. This prototype camera is based on the K10D (as is obvious on closer inspection) but has a very different viewfinder, which is of the same design as that found on the very first Asahi Pentax from 1957, the first Japanese SLR with a fixed pentaprism viewfinder. Note that there are no plans to put this camera into production, rather it is a celebration of Pentax's 50th anniversary and their long contribution to SLR photography.
No plans to make it??!! - why do they tease us like this? I truly dislike the goofy pop-up flash on 'serious' DSLR's.

It has a nice nostalgic look to it that appeals to an old fart like me.

Last edited by J.Scott; 06-01-2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: adding image
06-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

ASAHI Pentax? I thought the merger was with Hoya? Does that mean that Pentax will be making beer now???

Cool in a very retro way...

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 06-01-2007 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Didn't want to douple post
06-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #9

They dont make them.... ????

Why?

An moment I thought to send immediately an order and sell my black K10D.....
and then read that they will not make it....
06-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #10

It's not "square" enough , still look too "modern".
06-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Inactive Account

One can only hope. Even in limited production I can just imagine the price of this beauty. It would be like the golden LX. But you know I would really think about ordering one. (I wonder what the bank of wife would say) I would love to own one.
06-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
No plans to make it??!! - why do they tease us like this? I truly dislike the goofy pop-up flash on 'serious' DSLR's.

It has a nice nostalgic look to it that appeals to an old fart like me.

I could accept dropping the built in flash, but Pentax would have to come up with some form of wireless remote to trigger off camera flash (as Nikon have) without requiring a second camera mounted flash unit.

Anyway, I find the design incongruous, I dont mind the angular lines of the old style pentaprism, or the curved lines of the modern K10D. They just don't go together.

Mike.
06-05-2007, 04:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'll take two.
06-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

They won't sell it probably because it wouldn't sell and IMHO it looks too mashed-up, like MikePerham said. Oh and built in flash can save a shot and doesn't get in the way when you don't need it. Perhaps I'd be able to trade it if it ment bigger/brighter viewfinder but I don't think that is the case with this camera.
06-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Put off by the design? Well, Sony's mock-up of their higher-end offering for the Alpha system looks much worse. I'm not brand-bashing, as I still own quite a number of Sony gear.

Of course, this is just a mock-up and subject to change. But I still maintain that THAT design is a much worse retro homage styling than the Pentax Anniversary cam.

Personally, it's just the curved contoured grip that's derailing the Anniv cam's design.

EDIT: Image sourced from Engadget.com

Last edited by vinzer; 06-05-2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: credited image source