Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Curious about this statement. Do you have anything to back this up? As I said earlier. A couple of guys I know bought 7D's and both have since sold their bodies. One moved from an XTi and the other from a 40D. Both felt the camera produced 'softer' looking images from their earlier models. One did a second shooter job for me at a wedding and the high ISO shots showed as much noise as the K20D at similar ISO's. I wasn't impressed with the 700 or so shots I'd seen.
Peter...I don't doubt what your friends say about the 7D... but could it simply be a matter of the camera's default setting just being a bit softer? Did they try to sharpen it just a bit? I only ask because one can take a massive hit getting rid of an almost brand-new camera. If I could cure the problem with a minor adjustment, I'd do it and proceed to enjoy an otherwise great photo tool.

06-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
That's why I love this forum. The rumours take flight like a flock of pigeons before a hyped-up toddler in the park.

OP: *weeps*[/i]
+100, lithos! I hereby nominate this as the best post of all time on this forum.
06-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #63
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bossy Quote
Wow...
I asked them about the possibility of a FF coming soon but they answered with a pale face.
Was their Native American rep on break?
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Some guy working a booth is rumored to make a statement and the next thing you know the forums go crazy.

My bet is on a 15MP sensor from Sony. I actually hope we see the same sensor that is rumored to be going into the A7xx.

Hopefully they work on improving DR and improving the S/N ratio. With improvements to RAW converters and the next generation of sensors I think we are in for a very good year for digital photography.

06-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't really have anything to this thread since I don't know what Pentax is planning. However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
06-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rutterbutter Quote
I can confirm that a friend of mine who is a rep for pentax has not got all the details, but did tell me that my K7 will have a replacement by Photokina.
Thatīs right
06-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Pale face? hmmm be more specific on that one lol
like the pale rider

06-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Thatīs right
Zack so what here other than the new camera confirmed at Photokina can you actually confirm...if you don't want to post it on here , please PM me as you've done before and I won't disclose.
06-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
... but could it simply be a matter of the camera's default setting just being a bit softer?
The guys who wrote this review tried more than adjusting the default setting.

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Thatīs right
06-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #70

just a thought...

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
P.P.S. There was rumor that Canon'd offered FF sensor to Hoya.
Why wouldn't Canon sell their FF sensors to Hoya? What does Canon have to loose by selling the sensor to Hoya?

It seems to me a great move to put more pressure on their main contender (Nikon).

There's no reason for Canon to fear Hoya (today) and they could trade sensor tech for glass tech, maybe get the FA limiteds in Canon EF mount.

We all know that Hoya was looking for a partner, could it be Canon?

What if the rumour about Canon wanting to buy Pentax had some truth behind it?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this, I'm just letting imagination go wild.
06-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #71

Canon FF Sensor

I totally agree with Iponseca. The Canon FullFrame Sensor in the 5D Mark II is no slouch either. I have two friends that shoot Canon 5D Mark II professionally with great results (even at high ISO). You can also check Flickr for 5D Mark II examples. Canon did make changes to the FF sensor between the 5D and the 5D Mark II. You will have to include "Mark II" in the query.

Chances are if you read National Geographic, Sports Illustrated or any number of magazines the images have a 50/50 chance of being a Nikon or Canon. The Canon sensor while a couple years old is still CMOS and is capable of LiveView, 1080 video and good high ISO performance.

I found this on the Canon page for the 5D Mark II:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera

Image Type
Still: JPEG, RAW (14-bit, Canon original), sRAW1, sRAW2, RAW+JPEG
Video: MOV
File Size:
(1) Large/Fine: Approx. 6.1MB (5616 x 3744 pixels)
(2) Large/Nomal: Approx. 3.0MB (5616 x 3744 pixels)
(3) Medium/Fine: Approx. 3.6MB (4080 x 2720 pixels)
(4) Medium/Normal: Approx. 1.9MB (4080 x 2720 pixels)
(5) Small/Fine: Approx. 2.1MB (2784 x 1856 pixels)
(6) Small/Normal: Approx. 1.0MB (2784 x 1856 pixels)
(7) RAW: Approx. 25.8MB (5616 x 3744 pixels)
(8) sRAW 1: Approx. 14.8MB (3861 x 2574 pixels)
(9) sRAW 2: Approx. 10.8MB (2784 x 1856 pixels)
Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.

A full RAW file on the Canon 5D Mark II is about 25mb. A full RAW file on my K20D is about 18-20mb. Not that much of an increase.. Pentax will undoubtedly have it's own software and camera OS, I'm citing the Canon specifications for a rough reference.

I find it great news and wouldn't mind a FF Pentax DSLR with the Canon sensor. Just as long as the sensor is not CCD!

QuoteOriginally posted by lpfonseca Quote
Why wouldn't Canon sell their FF sensors to Hoya? What does Canon have to loose by selling the sensor to Hoya?

It seems to me a great move to put more pressure on their main contender (Nikon).

There's no reason for Canon to fear Hoya (today) and they could trade sensor tech for glass tech, maybe get the FA limiteds in Canon EF mount.

We all know that Hoya was looking for a partner, could it be Canon?

What if the rumour about Canon wanting to buy Pentax had some truth behind it?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this, I'm just letting imagination go wild.
06-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #72
Forum Member

Hoya is an optical company.
Samsung is an electronics company.
I would expect to see a full-frame K-mount body from Samsung, probably derived from the K20D, and more D-FA lenses from Hoya to go with it.
I wouldn't discount the Canon-Hoya rumors nor the fact that they are currently working with Kodak on the 645D, a relationship which could easily be extended into an FF body. To date, though, their collaboration with Samsung has produced good results and it seems the only reason to use the Kodak MF sensor is that it's an off-the-shelf product in current production for which Samsung had no equivalent.
06-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #73

another perspective from another PMA attendee...

QuoteOriginally posted by sifun Quote
I wasn't going to say anything fearing crk people getting in trouble, but since its out of the bag-

I was at PMA 2010 two days ago, Full frame is coming, but specs aren't known for now, it will be announced at Photokina, but will be released somewhere in 2011.
i remember hearing that too... hmm...

I also played with 645D, its coming out a few weeks after japan get it for Australia!
USA won't be getting it soon I heard from them.
i remember hearing that too.. i'm wondering if you're the guy who was waiting with me when someone took out their (pink) canon P&S to take a shot of it..

I'm the one with the handgrip and missing strap lug on my K7

14K AUD body only.
that's not what i heard...

High 13K - low 14K, but for the KIT!!!

Also, first 2 shipments to Australia are either sold out, or will be...

Kinda ironic though that CRK were also selling it's direct competition on the other side of their booth (H4D-40 for slightly under AU20K)
06-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #74

Photos: Albums
I was told 14 - 16k for the kit by one rep and 15k for the kit by another. But with the volatility of the Aussie Dollar who knows what the price will be by release date.
06-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #75
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't really have anything to this thread since I don't know what Pentax is planning. However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
Did you steal some towels? Or at least all the little shampoos and soaps (man, had a bucket full of those things at home at one stage.)

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
High 13K - low 14K, but for the KIT!!!

Also, first 2 shipments to Australia are either sold out, or will be...

Kinda ironic though that CRK were also selling it's direct competition on the other side of their booth (H4D-40 for slightly under AU20K)
Yeah, well, at least they won't be able to flog Hassy lenses with the 645D, like they did with the other Pentaxes and Sigma (really, really damaged the brand's rep down here.)

And Dear Pentax:

If you haven't figured it out already - get off your arse and get international pro support up and running, at least for the 645D! Really, you sold out of the damn things before they even hit the shelves, and I really think it's a good idea to reward that. That, and I'm sure a lot of people with Mamiyas and Hassys and Sinars expect that level of support, even they aren't themselves pro photographers.