Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
While I love my K200D, the new Canon T2i sounds very good and the price is awesome! I'm wanting to get the K7, but it's the same price as the new Canon T2i. there's a new camera coming out all the time....

06-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxian210 Quote
While I love my K200D, the new Canon T2i sounds very good and the price is awesome! I'm wanting to get the K7, but it's the same price as the new Canon T2i. there's a new camera coming out all the time....
The price might be fairly similar, but the K-7 is a lot, LOT more camera than the T2i. In-body stabilization, tilt sensor, horizon correction, better build quality with alloy body and weather sealing, much faster burst rate and deeper burst depth, higher max shutter, top-panel LCD, two control dials, better AF (more points and significantly faster side-by-side with the kit lenses), much better viewfinder, in-camera HDR, built-in wireless flash, a PC sync connector, far more customizability / operating modes, etc.

The T2i wins on a few points, but not many. It's just barely smaller, noticeably lighter (but not staggeringly so, and the difference is to be expected given the plastic consumer-grade body). It also has 11% more linear resolution, a somewhat more sophisticated (but less segments) metering system, higher max ISO, tethered shooting, a tiny bit more LCD resolution (but a slightly smaller LCD display area), and SDXC card support. The one area that's truthfully significantly better is its video capability, but how many photographers choose their DSLR based on the video capability?

Really, they're just not comparable cameras for most purposes. The T2i is a high end consumer DSLR, and the K-7 is a mid to high end prosumer DSLR. If you're already a Pentax shooter with an investment in lenses and accessories, I can't see switching systems for the T2i body.
06-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #48
wll
Veteran Member

I've been checking every day for a leak.

I want a great high ISO camera, that is the reason I did not buy a K-7 and bought a K-X instead.

If the K-X did not come out I would be using my K-20D and waiting !

wll
06-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #49
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote

The T2i wins on a few points, but not many. It's just barely smaller, noticeably lighter (but not staggeringly so, and the difference is to be expected given the plastic consumer-grade body). It also has 11% more ... a somewhat more sophisticated ... higher ... tiny bit more ... and ... support. The one area that's truthfully significantly better is its video capability, but how many photographers choose their DSLR based on the video capability?...
Etc, etc. Justly said. Photography is not statistics, or a stock exchange. If that weren't true, there would be no customers for a Leica M9, but there are plenty of them and Leica can't make enough of M9 cameras to satisfy demand.
People would ask why is that so in the land of plenty of technologically superb gizmos?

Photography becomes something completely else when we go over that hill of useless statistics and tech babble. Life is more than than dependency on specs -- it is dependent on our imagination. Photography is an emotional drive, and is much more important how many wonderful feelings per day it preserves and gives in return when taking photos than how many fps it does. And that's priceless.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-16-2010 at 04:45 PM.
06-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #50

I to want and am waiting to upgrade my K20 with higher ISO capabilities. But wonder if the unexpected demand of the 645 will push back the timing for a replacement.
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #51
Forum Member

I'm just as guilty, although with technology in general.

Anything related to technology is a terrible hobby to have for obsessions. I fall into the trap with cameras, computers, etc...always something new.

Take up something like cars, sports, etc. and you won't have such an issue.
06-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #52
Forum Member

can't wait

06-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #53
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Photography is an emotional drive, and is much more important how many wonderful feelings per day it preserves and gives in return when taking photos than how many fps it does. And that's priceless.
But if the next Pentax camera has a higher FPS rate I can capture more wonderful feelings every day

Really though, I don't see why being so concerned with specs and all the tech babble that surrounds modern photo products is supposed to be so bad. If some people enjoy that part of the hobby too, what's the problem?
06-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #54
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Really though, I don't see why being so concerned with specs and all the tech babble that surrounds modern photo products is supposed to be so bad. If some people enjoy that part of the hobby too, what's the problem?
Of course it's not a problem. But it encourages a market approach to photography, where someone's passion and capability to produce art tends to be measured in wrong units and using wrong scales. I'm wholly against it, but again, don't see it as an overwhelming problem. It's only a nuisance.
06-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #55
Inactive Account

Passion and capability aren't measured in any objective manner anyway. Even with that being the case, most, if not all, gear obsession remains ouside of the realm of the art of photography all together. It doesn't threaten or even judge the art, it merely judges the equipment. It is very seldom that someone will try and demean a photographer's work because of the gear he or she used. If that did happen, it would have absolutely no impact on the artistic or aesthetic merit of said work.

Some people like the knowing about/researching/comparing gear part of photography on top of, or even in place of, the artistic aspect. Since they enjoy it, isn't it just as valid as the approach of those that don't care whether they have a Holga or a Phase One 645 AF with a P65+ back as long as they're taking pictures?

If you don't like it the best way to avoid it is to stay away from threads that discuss gear at all.
06-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

So who thinks we'll see some leaks before the official announcement of the next camera?
If I remember correctly the K7 leaks started more than a month before we heard about the camera from Pentax itself.
06-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
So who thinks we'll see some leaks before the official announcement of the next camera?
If I remember correctly the K7 leaks started more than a month before we heard about the camera from Pentax itself.
And Photokina starts September 21. I haven't checked when Pentax use to announce products related to the start date of the next trade show, but isn't it common that announcements from all brands drop in during the two weeks before it starts.

So, IF there is an announcement in the beginning of September we can expect some blurry chinese pictures in the beginning of August

/Tommy
06-17-2010, 01:27 AM   #58
Veteran Member

if I were to buy Canon, I'll get the 5D MKII instead, plus buy a few L primes, some Sigmas and Tamron and some some Taks or other great m42 lenses.

my line-up would be:

5D MK II
Sigma 8-16 or Sigma 12-24
SMC tak 24/3.5
SMC tak 28/3.5
Sigma 30/1.4
SMC tak 35/3.5
SMC tak 50/1.4
Sigma 85/1.4
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Sigma 70-200/2.8 or Sigma 100-300/4
Canon 135/2
Sigma 150/2.8
Tamron 180
Canon 300/4

the whole Canon camera + lens line-up is rather worth as much as my Pentax gear is. although the Canon lens line-up is already pretty impressive, I would miss the Pentax system and lenses' unique rendering.

I suggest that Pentax should consider about releasing an FF dslr seriously because it's really a waste if they dont.
06-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if I were to buy Canon, I'll get the 5D MKII instead, plus buy a few L primes, some Sigmas and Tamron and some some Taks or other great m42 lenses.

my line-up would be:

5D MK II
Sigma 8-16 or Sigma 12-24
SMC tak 24/3.5
SMC tak 28/3.5
Sigma 30/1.4
SMC tak 35/3.5
SMC tak 50/1.4
Sigma 85/1.4
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Sigma 70-200/2.8 or Sigma 100-300/4
Canon 135/2
Sigma 150/2.8
Tamron 180
Canon 300/4

the whole Canon camera + lens line-up is rather worth as much as my Pentax gear is. although the Canon lens line-up is already pretty impressive, I would miss the Pentax system and lenses' unique rendering.

I suggest that Pentax should consider about releasing an FF dslr seriously because it's really a waste if they dont.
Unfortunately, you'd have to rethink your wide angle lineup here:

*Sigma 8-16 doesn't work on FF (APS-C only) - but 12-24 works great!
* SMC Tak 24, 28, & 35 don't work on 5DMkII: the rear lens element collides with the mirror at shorter focusing distances
* Sigma 30f1.4 doesnt work (APS-C only)

You have alternatives though in Canon mount (EF 24, 28 and 35 are pretty good and relatively cheap) or in the Sigma camp.
06-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
And Photokina starts September 21. I haven't checked when Pentax use to announce products related to the start date of the next trade show, but isn't it common that announcements from all brands drop in during the two weeks before it starts.

So, IF there is an announcement in the beginning of September we can expect some blurry chinese pictures in the beginning of August

/Tommy
Just to get things going, I've put electrical tape over the K-7 on my camera, so just ignore any pics of a bald guy with glasses and a beard with a mysterious Pentax