Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax at 2010 Soccer World Cup

A completely useless piece of info for you all... was watching a replay of the game between South Africa and France and there was some photographer there with a new 645D. No mistaking such a thick body and the 55mm lens with the silver ring and red SDM letters.

There must also be some testing going on from various manufacturers with various bodies and lenses I have never seen before.

Someone had a new Nikon 200-400... one or two lenses that I think were Canon's and another lens body combo that was definitely not Nikon or Canon as the body was way too small! What it was exactly... anyone's guess.

I suppose events like these are golden opportunities for manufacturers to test out their new designs.

If any of you happen to watch the remaining two games keep an eye on the photographers along the side lines and you can pick up some interesting equipment!

07-08-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
and another lens body combo that was definitely not Nikon or Canon as the body was way too small! What it was exactly... anyone's guess.
SimonSmyth claimed Pentax is testing their new Pro Model in the world cup this year.
07-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #3

Are there pictures of it ?
07-08-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
SimonSmyth claimed Pentax is testing their new Pro Model in the world cup this year.
OOPs... should have made clear, I don't think (personal opinion) that it was a Pentax either... it has a black body which was small but the lens was white like a Canon lens... so maybe some new Samsung or Sony or even a new Canon??

Who else uses white lenses?

Football / Soccer.... where I come from it's soccer...

As far as a picture of it, search the internet. There is an image of a group of photographers all holding their gear...

It was nice to see the 645D actually being used. Doubt it was being used to photograph action shots....

07-08-2010, 03:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Tried a quick googling with no luck.
If you have a link, please post it
07-08-2010, 03:36 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
Just one question. What happened to this thread by SimonSmyth where he revealed a lot of things about the future pentax models ?
It seems that he knew a lot... maybe too much.

By the way where is SimonSynth ? Can someone confirm that he is still alive ? I'm bit worried for him...
07-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Tried a quick googling with no luck.
If you have a link, please post it
I was sent a photo of a group of press photographers but did not keep it. Am trying to get hold of another copy. Will post when/if I get it.

Been googling as well... lots of pictures of players and fans but nothing of the press so far... :ugh:

It was the lens more than the camera that caught my attention as it had a very narrow barrel where it attaches to the body. Then typical of a super tele it widened out to about the size of a 500 F4... None of the FD or newer Canon lenses have such a narrow barrel.

07-08-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
It was the lens more than the camera that caught my attention as it had a very narrow barrel where it attaches to the body. Then typical of a super tele it widened out to about the size of a 500 F4... None of the FD or newer Canon lenses have such a narrow barrel.
Could it have been a micro four/thirds camera with a normal Canon/Nikon tele lens attached by means of a (narrow) adapter?
07-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #9

My opinion: it would be stupid for a brand to test new secret experimental equipment during the world biggest sport event in the world. If it is secret, new, not yet revealed, you don't want to show it to the world. Now if they want to test their equipment in real world, they just have to go to the closest sport ground of their labs. Where there is no video camera and thousands of curious people...
07-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
My opinion: it would be stupid for a brand to test new secret experimental equipment during the world biggest sport event in the world. If it is secret, new, not yet revealed, you don't want to show it to the world. Now if they want to test their equipment in real world, they just have to go to the closest sport ground of their labs. Where there is no video camera and thousands of curious people...
I agree!

I suspect it was probably just a converter of some sort or another?

Anyway, it was nice to see the 645D actually being used outside of Japan!
07-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jazzyboy Quote
Just one question. What happened to this thread by SimonSmyth where he revealed a lot of things about the future pentax models ?

By the way where is SimonSynth ? Can someone confirm that he is still alive ? I'm bit worried for him...
His thread has been merged into here.
07-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

He was a troll. He didn't know a lot. He knew nothing.
07-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

He posted a picture with doctored EXIF data purporting to show that it was from a "Pro*" model. But the photo was actually "stolen" from a posting by a different (uninvolved) forum member and doctored. And the original was definitively take with a plain old K-7. So, SimonSmyth was proved to be a fraud and the moderators removed the posts.

I think there's going to be an official "for-the-record" explanation soon so people don't keep wondering what happened.
07-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
Inactive Account

There's a couple pictures of some World Cup photographers here: Opening weekend - 2010 World Cup - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Do you see the camera setup in question?
07-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
There's a couple pictures of some World Cup photographers here: Opening weekend - 2010 World Cup - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Do you see the camera setup in question?
No Pentax there