Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #1

DxOMark rates Pentax K-r

DxOMark - Pentax K-r

almost identical to K-x!

11-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It seems to be beaten by the K-x... Not by much, but still beaten. I'm surprised but then I haven't followed the K-r at all.
11-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm surprised that Ned Bunnell was quoted as saying the K-r has a newer, improved sensor. I wonder what he meant.
11-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm angry why doesn't pentax learn from the k20d to k-7 mistake..

it seems that this time they did it again, the predecessor has better image quality at least in low light.. and more dynamic range..

what was improved then? ISO range? bullshit!

it's diffucult to trust them..

so why would one make a new camera with worse image sensor, and try to sell it more expensive.. while I already sold my kx, now I have mixed feelings about my choice..

Last edited by Mystic; 11-02-2010 at 11:59 AM.
11-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm surprised that Ned Bunnell was quoted as saying the K-r has a newer, improved sensor. I wonder what he meant.
What else do you expect to hear from company representative? They will never tell that new product actually is worse.
11-02-2010, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
I'm angry why doesn't pentax learn from the k20d to k-7 mistake..

it seems that this time they did it again, the predecessor has better image quality at least in low light.. and more dynamic range..
Come on! The difference is miniscule, probably well within the confidence interval of those tests, and within the sample variability of the sensors. And they both beat - with a significant distance in score! - the D3100 and the 60D

They are both beaten by the A55, though, which is now the best APS-C-sensor-sized camera. That bodes very well for the K-5!
11-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

incredible has some people believe some site so fanatically.....it's slightly worst...but i have still to see a resolution chart at high iso....the kr has the same images, 1 point is not even 1/12 of as top at high iso, and in every other aspects is far far better.
qhat do u expect from the smae sensor design and some pixel pitch?
personally i dont care a less about dxo marks...nice to read some test but i wont never base my camera decision on this site.

11-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Interesting. The K-r and the K-x have the same overall DXOMark score of 72 but the K-r loses out to the K-x by about 10% in the high-ISO score - 811 vs 755.

According to DXO, the K-r also has a pixel pitch of 5.42 µm, vs the K-x's 5.48 µm - ie the K-r has a marginally denser pixel layout than the K-x, which may be related to it's different ISO score. I guess all this confirms the K-r has a different sensor to that of the K-x.

Is this right though?:

K-r
Focal length multiplier 1.52
Frame rate 12 fps
11-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
...They are both beaten by the A55, though, which is now the best APS-C-sensor-sized camera. That bodes very well for the K-5!
Only on the overall score, and even then the A55 still only rates the same as the Nikon D90, which is still the APS-C high ISO king. And just in terms of the high ISO number the A55 gets 816 vs the D90's 977 and vs the K-r/Kx 755/811, so the A55 is certainly no high ISO standout.

Nikon to their credit still keep powering on with their high ISO scores - even their entry level D3100 now gets a score of 919 on high ISO, even though it's other scores (particularly dynamic range) are crappy.
11-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we need some posts on 'who the hell are DxO mark' and bogus metrics subject.
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I believe the K-x fared worse in DxO compared to the D90 (and the same very well may happen with the K-5 and D7000) because of their high requirements for low-light ISO. They want a DR of 9 EV and 18bits of color. The Nikons typically hold onto their DR and color depth longer but taper off at the end, while the Pentax cameras end up having better scores at high ISO, but worse scores at medium ISOs (where one would get the DR and color depth requirements)
11-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Inactive Account

well, you're paying for the SAFOX IX and the visible AF points, faster FPS and other niceties.
is it worth $300 or $400 more? that's up to you to decide, much like the K5, which according to Ned B is in hot demand is worth $1600.

from the interview with Ned, it doesn't seem that the k5 will drop in price anytime soon.
i still have my kx, no kr for me. the added features are not worth the cost, IMHO.
11-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Interesting. The K-r and the K-x have the same overall DXOMark score of 72 but the K-r loses out to the K-x by about 10% in the high-ISO score - 811 vs 755.

According to DXO, the K-r also has a pixel pitch of 5.42 µm, vs the K-x's 5.48 µm - ie the K-r has a marginally denser pixel layout than the K-x, which may be related to it's different ISO score. I guess all this confirms the K-r has a different sensor to that of the K-x.

Is this right though?:

K-r
Focal length multiplier 1.52
Frame rate 12 fps
well I noticed these too.. strange..

but overall I tend to believe DXOmark, because it allways approved my intuition..
same as for k7 many pentaxians, were shouting that dxomark tells bullshit, but the time proved, that k7 sensor was really crappy above 400 ISO both in dr and low light ISO..

so of course the difference isn't huge, in kx vs. kr case, but stilll it's worse.

that bugs me the most. if it would be equal, no complaints, but now it's worse, and that is bad.

well this comparison at least is positive to kr

http://dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%2...and3%29/Pentax
11-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see why this is particularly surprising. I have always thought that the Kr sensor was the same sensor from the kx, just tweaked to give a faster read out. People focus on tiny differences in numbers, when in reality, the differences in the numbers are actually pretty minimal.

The K20 and K7 sensors were a lot more similar than they were different. I own both and I don't feel like I can shoot a lot higher iso with the K20 than the K7 without banding cropping up, but both are pretty decent to iso 1600.

The Dxo high iso number does emphasize a major difference between full frame sensors and cropped sensors -- the ability to hold on to dynamic range at high iso. You can shoot iso 51,000 with the K5 and clean it up, but don't expect to have decent dynamic range (of course, at that iso, full frame wouldn't have good dynamic range either).
11-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What's DxOMark ?

I bought my K10D didn't base on it . I bought my K20D didn't base on it . By the time I used my K10D, I was happy with it . Now I still am happy with my K20D . Do I care about what DxOMark rates ? -NO !