Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #1

Once more... Pentax EVIL upcoming next spring

According to spanish site quesabesde.com, pentax will probably show its new model of EVIL camera, the upcoming spring. Sensor APS-C and most likely a brand new K bayonet able to fit this new system, are the basic features of this camera.

They say they have a realible source and blablabla...

Here's the link:

Pentax tendrá listo su propio sistema de cámaras sin espejo la próxima primavera

11-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Google Translated into English
11-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-rumors | Blog | (K4) Pentax mirrorless camera to be announced in February 2011!
11-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What bugs me about most "rumours" is that most of the people in this forum could have written that (apart from the Spanish). Ned Bunnell has already dropped a heavy hint that such a system is coming ... the other details could easily be speculation.

11-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

A relief to hear it's not M4/3
They didn't mention SR
11-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
juu
Veteran Member

Wish it were true. I wish it were m43 though .
11-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
Forum Member

Even I wish it was a m4/3 as I will be able to use Leica 45mm macro on that camera.

11-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
Banned

I would think a Pentax version of the Sony NEX would be great.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2YdUqNMk-M[/YT]
11-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaitanya Quote
Even I wish it was a m4/3 as I will be able to use Leica 45mm macro on that camera.
I wish it would be M4/3 also. I love the E-P2. I can use virtually any lens on it. Doubtful, but who knows.

I'm still doubtful they will go mirrorless and even more doubtful on the M4/3.

On the plus side, Olympus is supposedly releasing the E-P3 next year.
11-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I would think a Pentax version of the Sony NEX would be great.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2YdUqNMk-M[/YT]
You are probably closer to what it will be if they release it. I tried out a NEX and didn't care for it because of the size. But that's just a personal preference. Plus I still want a viewfinder. The one for the E-P2 is incredible, if over priced.

I don't really care about an ASP-C sized sensor. I already have a couple of those and the K5 seems to be the perfect ASP-C camera so far. But again, if I was guessing and if Pentax was going down this route, I think you are probably right.

If they do go that route, I'll stick with Olympus and Sigma for mirrorless.
11-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Here is what Ned said about it:

QuoteQuote:
  • Ned and I spoke about the mirrorless segment and I told him how much I liked the Samsung NX10, and how much I’d like for Pentax to bring out something similar. When I asked him if this would happen, he laughed and exclaimed no comment!
  • If Pentax enter the EVIL market it will be with a unique offering that sets them apart from the rest of manufacturers. There’s not point in producing a me-too EVIL.
Speaking to Pentax at PhotoPlus Expo in New York | Enticing the Light
11-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When I first saw this thread this morning, I thought well here we go again another rumour., but it appears there is now mounting evidence to support it. Me thinks that Hoya is getting very serious regarding the future of Pentax. All good for us Pentax Users.
11-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How good would such an EVIL camera be against, let's say, a K5, for one who would like to carry a smaller, pocketable cam along with the regular gear.

Reason I ask is because I have been looking for a "smaller", but great P & S cam for someone who has a great "photographer's eye" but doesn't want to lug a full size DSLR.
Of course, the main reason would be ... I'd take it along with me quite often!

JP
11-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
How good would such an EVIL camera be against, let's say, a K5, for one who would like to carry a smaller, pocketable cam along with the regular gear.

Reason I ask is because I have been looking for a "smaller", but great P & S cam for someone who has a great "photographer's eye" but doesn't want to lug a full size DSLR.
Of course, the main reason would be ... I'd take it along with me quite often!

JP

To me, this is Lumix LX3/D-Lux-4 or LX5/D-Lux-5 or possible Oly E-P1/E-P2 territory. The biggest interest these bodies like the NEX etc have for me is a platform for my vintage glass collection. They still aren't pocketable per se. In fact, the aforementioned Oly are a little big to pocket. The Fuji X-100 with its aps-c sensor or the Sigma DP-1 and 2 are also sound possibilities.

That NEX with the 16mm lens is fairly compact compared to the pictured arrangement above.
11-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Can't wait for it. I'd love to dump my Sony NEX-3 for a Pentax EVIL. I just really hope that the sensor is at least APS-C and the flange distance is close enough to use Leica-M lenses. As long as it does that my NEX-3 will go on eBay the day Pentax releases it.

On a side note, if anyone is interested, here are a bunch of pics I took in NYC using a NEX-3 + a Pentax-M 28mm and Pentax-A 50mm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eparks/tags/sonynex3/

Great combo indeed. It's a joy to shoot manual glass on an EVIL. It really brings a tactile feel back to photography instead of just aiming and pressing a button.