Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Pentax, do we want to be called Ricoh?
No, we don't want to be called Ricoh, we want to stay as Pentax 45594.40%
Yes, we're ok about being renamed to Ricoh 275.60%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax - do we want to be called Ricoh?

With the sale of Pentax' optical division to Ricoh, I guess the possibility exists that Pentax cameras will no longer exist as a name, and they'll all be called Ricoh from now on.

Personally, I'm not overly thrilled about that , and I'd be surprised if many people here would be either. But, your mileage may vary. So this is just a quick poll to see what we think about that - maybe our new overlords might notice and think twice about it.

07-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

IMHO, the Pentax brand has more recognition, photography wise.
07-01-2011, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

check this: Ricoh to acquire HOYA's PENTAX Imaging Systems Business / News Release | Ricoh Global
QuoteQuote:
On completion of the Acquisition, Ricoh will begin to use the PENTAX brand name for some of its digital camera products, and HOYA will continue to use the PENTAX brand name for their endoscopes and other products.

Furthermore, with the Acquisition, both companies will cooperate with each other to increase the value of the PENTAX brand.
And in the PDF linked on the same page:
QuoteQuote:
3. Strategic objectives for Ricoh

The goal of the Acquisition is to establish a firmer presence in the consumer business, which has been a considerable challenge for Ricoh.

Ricoh believes that the borderline between office and home will fade and this will be reflected in a major change in products and services. Ricoh aims to provide more consumer–oriented offerings not only in the field of digital cameras but also video conferencing systems, network appliances, and others, to their customers around the world. The Acquisition is the first step in this direction.

Ricoh intends to maximize the synergy from the merger between Ricoh’s digital camera business and PENTAX Imaging System Business in various ways.
1) Strengthening the digital camera business
* Enhanced interchangeable-lens cameras to meet expected future growth
* Expansion of product lineup and interchangeable lens portfolio

2) Creation of new business delivering added value to consumers
* Creation and development of value-added businesses such as making it easy to view, save and retouch photos.

3) Other benefits
* Possible entry into the image archiving business using medium format digital cameras
* Expansion of security related products
Wim
07-01-2011, 02:09 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

In principle I wouldn't care either way as long the functionality and K mount are there. But after the success of K-5 and with products like the prestigious 645D, they'd be silly to remove Pentax name from the products.

07-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #5

They are both going to use the Pentax name:

http://www.ricoh.com/release/2011/pdf/0701.pdf
07-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I wouldn't care much actually, but I prefer stay being Pentax overall.
07-01-2011, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

Pentax Tattoo

Is there anyone with a Pentax Tattoo?

07-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You mean anyone else?
07-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
TZH

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Lol,sounds like a no.1 fans
07-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #10

Pentaxian flows far better than Riconian.
07-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #11

I dont know how many of you have used Ricoh cameras, but in its own niche they have cult like following and do manufacture industries best compacts for the "photographers" If you have handled GRD III or GXR for that matter you will know what I mean. I am convinced to a level, where just based on this news I am returning back to PENTAX.

I am personally VERY pleased to hear Pentax going to Ricoh, it has gone into right hands to the people who keep innovating and create cameras for photographer niche and not for the mass market. We all should be pleased that PENTAX will now have long long future. And all those people who were talking about Pentax demise should just shut up

Interesting thing I smell is down the line Ricoh may release K-Mount module for GXR making the best mirror-less camera ever produced.
07-01-2011, 04:02 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
If Pentax cameras would be branded as Ricoh's, I wouldn't like that. I know that technically it shouldn't really matter. The people who design and produce the camera's would still be the same, but somewhere it just doesn't feel right, a bit misleading even. Because then what are you actually buying? I know it's a common thing to do nowadays, but that bothers me about it.

If it's the other way around - the Pentax brand being applied to Ricoh products - I wouldn't mind as much. It will probably help sales of the "original" Pentax products. But then I don't have any Ricoh cameras (or other products).

Time will tell how this turns out.
07-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ricoh has a history of using Pentax K mount for their old SLR film cameras. I still have one and it is quite a decent camera - Rikenon lenses were considered to be of relatively good quality.
However, the Pentax brand has a better reputation (image) when it comes to SLR cameras, especially their limited lenses. It would be a grave mistake for Ricoh not to keep the Pentax brand independent. Let's hope that Ricoh injects good funds in developing future Pentax SLR products.
It would probably make sense for compacts to be branded as Ricoh since they had reasonable success in this market segment so far, and Pentax SLR's would complement the product range.
07-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Ricoh needs to continue the Pentax name. Even at it's height, Ricoh was considered a budget alternative to Pentax gear. I think the Pentax name will allow a small bump in pricing and I think Ricoh ought to take advantage of that.
07-01-2011, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #15

As long as the Pentax/Ricoh/Ricpen/Cohtax camera work perfectly and has a decent price and post sale support i don't care, they can write in front "sh1t", "crap", "junk" or whatever.