Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the ds was a tiny camera (every time i take mine out and shoot it it's the first thing i notice.) if this is built as well as the ds (which felt more solid than the canon rebel that came out at the same time) it will be great. I'm sure there will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of the teeth over the colours but this has been a big success for pentax in the kx/kr so i have no issue with it. I was hoping for a WR model
It'll be interesting to see what the 3 lens kit is (if its variants on the 21/40/70 ltds and it's a good price (and they work with my k7) i may well buy this just for the lenses and to have as a secondary. Wish it was WR but maybe it is??

01-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
- The sensor is the same spec K-5. Well as K-5 and the rear LCD.
- Second shutter speed to 1 / 4000 of 30 seconds
- Contrast AF, AF 81 Split

So, same sensor as K5, but with slower shutterspeed and slower (contrast) AF.

This is not 1 step backwards, but 3 giant leaps backwards. Why's everybody excited about this? Because it's fashionable??

If this is true, then it's bye bye Pentax, nice to have known you. Luckily, these are still just rumors. Brought by the same people that rumored the DFA 50 1.0 and the earlier Pentax MILC rumor. So I'm putting my bets on the incredibility of the rumors.
01-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I am intrigued by some of the mentions in the original Japanese article of designer Marc Newson and the 2003 KDDI mobile phone design 'talby'.

If he has been involved, expect the new Pentax to look pretty cool.

Name:  talby_phone_001.jpg
Views: 5664
Size:  119.9 KB

Or maybe people are just commenting about the design influences they are seeing.
01-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Although smaller, it's heavier than k-x/k-r, so it might be weather sealed like k-5.
K-r - 598 g
K-x - 580 g

By the way,
Fuji X100 126.5*74.4*53.9 mm
121*79*59 is very close.

Last edited by ogl; 01-19-2012 at 07:01 AM.
01-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
- The sensor is the same spec K-5. Well as K-5 and the rear LCD.
- Second shutter speed to 1 / 4000 of 30 seconds
- Contrast AF, AF 81 Split

So, same sensor as K5, but with slower shutterspeed and slower (contrast) AF.

This is not 1 step backwards, but 3 giant leaps backwards. Why's everybody excited about this? Because it's fashionable??

If this is true, then it's bye bye Pentax, nice to have known you. Luckily, these are still just rumors. Brought by the same people that rumored the DFA 50 1.0 and the earlier Pentax MILC rumor. So I'm putting my bets on the incredibility of the rumors.
have to agree on this one with you. I'm not really jumping in joy about this rumor

the DFA 50 f1.0 would have been the BOMB
01-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

This has potential if it's true. It sounds like K-5 electronics transformed into a mirrorless body.

The K-5 sensor is already proven. The big unknowns for this new rumor are viewfinder and AF. A speedy and precise contrast-detect AF might resolve some of our complaints with past Pentax models. I will miss through-the-lens optical viewfinder but maybe some EVF innovations will go into the new camera.

Pricewise, I suppose this will be the new entry level model to replace K-r. I wonder whether the K-5 replacement will use a similar mirrorless concept or remain a DSLR.
01-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
Forum Member

K-mount lenses of today work badly with contrast detect AF, the flange focal distance forces the camera to be thick, and the leica compatibles can't be used. If K is true, it's no sale for me. I am sure many are happy though. Somehow I get the feeling that Pentax was caught with their pants down with the popularity of mirrorless and now try to make a quick kludge to get a share of the cake...

01-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
This has potential if it's true. It sounds like K-5 electronics transformed into a mirrorless body.

The K-5 sensor is already proven. The big unknowns for this new rumor are viewfinder and AF. A speedy and precise contrast-detect AF might resolve some of our complaints with past Pentax models. I will miss through-the-lens optical viewfinder but maybe some EVF innovations will go into the new camera.

Pricewise, I suppose this will be the new entry level model to replace K-r. I wonder whether the K-5 replacement will use a similar mirrorless concept or remain a DSLR.

it's altogether possible that there will still be a Kr replacement as well with Extra feature content and 100% OVF over this at a slightly higher price. At least this will be a Kaf mirrorless so there is a synergy with the dslr and a reason to develop more lenses

it doesn't look like it's meant to be a high end product but a volume product. as such losing a few K5 features makes sens. there has to be a line logic people otherwise there would be no reason to buy the higher end product. it's the first of what i am sure will be several products before year end it this isn't the one for you continue enjoying your k5 and wait for the next.
Sheesh we finally get a rumour that seems realistic and the haters jump all over it.
off to the other forum (which more and more i think will be home
01-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's good size for me. Smaller than *ist DS.
I...actually...agree with you on that one!

The IST cameras were a nice size, shave off some of the grip and get rid of the mirror box hump you'd be left with a nice fairly compact camera - definitely a good entry level direction to go, especially if price is similar to the K-x/K-r line.
01-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also the possibility that this is just a GXR module like the GXR Mount A12.

Not looking forward to all the Goodbye Cruel Worlds when something is finally announced and it isn't exactly what someone wants.
01-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love one of these as a backup to my K5, provided it has a decent EVF to go with it (Sony A65/A77 class).

EVF plus the option to drive all of my Pentax flashes sounds like a win!
01-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
the DFA 50 f1.0 would have been the BOMB
I would buy it, even it would cost me twice what the K5 did when it came out. See, we don't ask for much at all.
01-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by K6-III Quote
I'd love one of these as a backup to my K5, provided it has a decent EVF to go with it (Sony A65/A77 class).

EVF plus the option to drive all of my Pentax flashes sounds like a win!
I agree, if it has the Sony 2.4M dot OLED viewfinder and 1080p60 with full manual control of video I would get it.
01-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Agreed; it would be nice to be able to have lens compatibility without an adapter. I bought a PK-adapter for my Lumix GF2 but it's less than ideal in actually ergonomics & usability.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I hope this is true too. Just the same old K-mount but with a modern mirrorless body. There are enough other options for small APS-C cameras, but I'm not keen in using an adapter on them.
01-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SR is not mentioned? I am definitely interested in this camera to replace my K-x. I will keep the K20D.