Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Again: the drawings are PURE FANTASY. It's nothing like the new product.
+1 They are someone's concocted idea of what it *might* look like... Like you say – pure fantasy.

01-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Can someone post the address or at least the post code of the grand fete? I fear that I've mislaid my invitation ....
01-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Can someone post the address or at least the post code of the grand fete? I fear that I've mislaid my invitation ....
I'd tell you....but then...I'd have to kill you
01-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I'd kill you, but then I'd have to tell you.

02-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I think the plan's becoming more clear now. The K-01 will be priced somewhere near the K-r's introductory price. Since the "K-r replacement" is rumored to be months away, and K-r production has stopped, this will more or less replace it. The K-5 will continue on for a while with a lower price (it's already gone down to around $1000), just like the K-7 did. Then the "K-r replacement" will come in just below the K-5 (and probably be better in some ways) while they get ready for the release of a FF camera. Eventually, some type of improvement will also be made to the 645D, whether directly to the camera itself, or to lenses/accessories/tethering capability/software (or maybe all of these).

Then they'll have Point and shoots, the Q, the K-01, the "K-r replacement" APS-C model, the FF, and the 645D. If the name K-01 is correct, it also indicates that Pentax wants to leave room for a K-3, K-1, or the like, although they may wish to avoid K-1 and the confusion it could cause. They may even want to have a K-4 in there! And whatever gets the K-3 or similar model name might even end up as a FF rather than an APS-C camera. And of course there's always the chance of FF being mirrorless.

I just hope Pentax Ricoh is prudent enough to resurrect some of the FA lenses (even if they call them D FA or such) because they are quite good, and designing entirely new lenses (for FF) would take too much time and money right now.
02-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
there's always the chance of FF being mirrorless.
Risk. The word you are looking for is "risk".

(I'll crawl back in my backward looking hole now, gently stroking my collection of film cameras.)
02-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #37
Inactive Account

As Ricoh has re-hired some old engineers, i would think it likely that we can expect some new lenses at some point also. Especially if they are to release a FF in may-ish time. They would need to develop some wider FF compatible glass.- and start making the long lenses again for that matter

02-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote

(I'll crawl back in my backward looking hole now, gently stroking my collection of film cameras.)
I'd love the FF being mirrorless, but agree that more FA lenses should be resurrected, and put back into production!

(I'll back off now, and continue building my wall from my digital Pentax cameras - there is a film one, too - better put that in the artifacts group)
02-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

<Nod> Agreed.
02-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Me too. With the 'risk' part, not with the crawling
02-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agreed too

I have nothing against a mirrorless FF, as long as a FF DSLR is there too.
02-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #42
Forum Member

This is quite interesting, I hope we get something similar like focus peaking to assist with manual focus lenses. Also would be nice to get ISO 50 since the shutter speed is limited to 1/4000 of a second. If I was to keep dreaming then I would also like no AA filter like the upcoming Fuji mirrorless.
02-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
Especially if they are to release a FF in may-ish time. They would need to develop some wider FF compatible glass.- and start making the long lenses again for that matter
I'm thinking Oct-Nov. for FF, at the best. I'd be very happy with that. And I'm prepared for it to take over a year. But at least now I believe FF is coming, which I didn't until recently.

The long lenses, in particular, is where I think Pentax needs to bring back the FA glass. I think it's very important for them to have them, but the sales volume wouldn't justify new development, except perhaps on one key focal length/aperture (if they can figure out which one that is).

They should also bring in the Tokina 16-28/2.8 (as well as the 11-16/2.8, but that's APS-C). Then they need to bring back the two standard FA* f/2.8 zooms (28-70 and 80-200). With just those three lenses, they'd be ready. That's really all they need to get started.

Ideally they'd also bring back the FA20/2.8 and/or FA*24/2. And they could use the FA28-70/4 or FA28-105/3.2-4.5 as kit lenses, if they want. Even better would be to go back to the very good F24-50/4 and F70-210/4-5.6, especially the former.

So the three f/2.8 zooms, the three existing FA Ltd lenses, the DFA 100/2.8 WR macro, the DFA 50/2.8 macro, plus the FA50/1.4, make a compelling argument to buy a Pentax FF camera right out of the chute. And remember, the DA* 200/2.8 and 300/4 (as well as perhaps some others, like the DA35/2.4) will reportedly work on FF as well. So really, they are ready, just as long as they can get the three fast zooms in place! They can even just use the DA35/2.4 as the kit lens.
02-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I'm open to the FF being mirrorless, just as long as it has a good viewfinder and good AF. But those could be big "ifs."
02-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
-------

I just hope Pentax Ricoh is prudent enough to resurrect some of the FA lenses (even if they call them D FA or such) because they are quite good, and designing entirely new lenses (for FF) would take too much time and money right now.
I too have longed for new long glass and am saving my pennies for a 600/f4.

But as I do so, I am beginning to wonder if technology might overwhlem the need for long glass. Potential customers besides the paparazzi, and the CIA have historilly been wildlife photographers. The mainissue over wildlife photography is the reluctance of the subject matter to have close encounters
with people. It would seem that the paridigmn on this may shift with the
increasing availablity of remote controls and robotics.'

I'mb beginning wonder if the wildlife enabled camera of the future won't be a remote controlled robot with a macro lens.

Indeed some of the competition isn't far from supporting that now.
Consider the new wireless remote control add on for a recent Nikon release....