Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But really, thankfully, it's not a mirror.

02-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It should be a bit lighter than the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 which I found somewhat hand-holdable. The front element should be about 10% smaller in diameter, about 20% smaller in area, give or take and as such the front element should be quite lighter... almost 30% lighter front element if all things are equal which of course they are not.

My guesses: 2500 grams (5.5 lbs), 330 mm long (13"), $4k. OK, I actually think it will be $5-6k but am hoping with Ricoh's attempt to put Canon out of business they will try to undercut the market.

Awesome. This should work out well and give a 780 mm f/8 with the as yet-to-be-received TC. Can I order one now?
Good post!

The ongoing price of a Sigma 500/4.5 is currently at $4999.00 at B & H: Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO HSM Autofocus Lens 184306 B&H Photo

According to your guesses for size and weight ... you may be very close to the real specs (anything confirmed on this yet?)
Your initial price estimate would be fair, say at about $3500-4000 for this 560/5.6 and I doubt that Ricoh-Pentax would sell that for $5000 + ... might as well get the Sigma if that becomes reality.
I am just hoping that this would come in a WR version, and I don't really care if it is screwdriven "only".
02-08-2012, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IMHO Pentax skeptics, the snobs in the CaNikon groups and the many of us who are simply no longer trusting and optimistic, are in for a big surprise over the next three years. Who you are will determine whether the suprise comes with a smile or a smarts.

IMHO Ricoh has already started to change Pentax into a more aggressive competitor while (hopefully) retaining/restoring the old DNA of creativity, fine optics, compactness and a dose of benign eccentricity.

I believe in a year we will look back and wonder at how quickly we got to where we will have gotten to (?). 2013 will be even more exciting, and 2014 will be a year such as we haven't seen in 45.

So be of good cheer, Pentaxians, Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.

I encourage you to think of all the possibilities, not just the possible outcomes that will disappoint you!
  • its a mirror
  • its a tele refractor
  • its a DA
  • it couldn't be a DA*, could it?
It can be a DA*.
I agree with you. I's been a little over 4 months since they took the company over so right now for the rush to market they are just getting shelved products implemented for the most part. 6 months from now at Photokina we will be seeing a Pentax that is closer to the Ricoh vision (and based on the last 10 days I think it will be a Pentax we all have been dreaming of - unless of course you want to continue being the hidden gem no-one knows
2 years from now I think the doubters will be turned around (or gone) People will still bitch of course (this is the interwebs after all), but there will be a lot less obvious targets to bitch about (I want a FF - it's there did you buy it, I want a TC - done, a long lens - done - likely multiple times by then- I want a mirrorless with an EVF yep covered, .....you get the idea) thing is they have to start someplace and I think they have, now to grow the brand and the manufacturing capacity so they can meet the targets they st for themselves. the years of minimizing the brand and cutting costs are gone. now it's the years of investing in the brand to become a market leader - that takes time but it is doable
02-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good post!

The ongoing price of a Sigma 500/4.5 is currently at $4999.00 at B & H: Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO HSM Autofocus Lens 184306 B&H Photo

According to your guesses for size and weight ... you may be very close to the real specs (anything confirmed on this yet?)
Your initial price estimate would be fair, say at about $3500-4000 for this 560/5.6 and I doubt that Ricoh-Pentax would sell that for $5000 + ... might as well get the Sigma if that becomes reality.
I am just hoping that this would come in a WR version, and I don't really care if it is screwdriven "only".
I've seen a lot of estimates that put it far lower than that. I thought that way as well, but have come around to the idea that it will probably be more $2-2500 at the top side and could be as low as say $1699. certainly when you couple this with the low light performance of a K5 (and it's successors which will I'm certain be as good or better) it will present a tempting option for people looking to get into the big lens market and may well bring new users to the brand (given a K5 and 506 should cost less than a comparable setup from Sony, Nikon and Canon)

As the brand grows in users Ultimately we will then see some faster higher end variants come down the pipe. We have to get the critical mass first though. And this is the value proposition for this market (like the K1000 was the student camera). As long as performance is good this will be at least a double if not a home run for Pentax to use an American style analogy

02-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where are the Photoshop gurus? Why no K-5 slapped on the back of that 560 yet?
(I need a new wallpaper. )
02-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #126
Veteran Member

As predicted by Falk Lumo nearly a year ago, I'm gonna go with ~$2000 MSRP
02-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Wow! Mr. Lumo can I get the Superlotto numbers for next week please?

02-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
I was just speculating that Pentax modified the old M67 400mm f4 lens and added optics equivalent to a 1.4 TC to make it a 560mm f5.6. A comparison of the lines of the M67 400mm f4 lens with the photo of the DA 560mm f5.6 shows similar lines the the 560 showing a longer rear end towards the mount. Perhaps this is to accommodate the autofocus mechanism and the 1.4TC optics?
My thoughts exactly. I use my M 400mm F5.6 some times with an 1.4X teleconverter and the focal length of 560mm is very familiar.

Since the road map shows a DA AF RC 1.4x teleconverter, then this may be the prototype. An existing 400mm F4 lens with an AF 1.4X teleconverter build-in will make a 560mm F5.6 combo.

Will see.
02-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #129
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's how the converter looked at the 2008's Photokina (4 years ago!!!!)

02-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup, I've walked away from my initial guess after looking at the Canon 400 f5.6 at $1700. I now agree with you. Which is obviously a good thing.
02-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
the most probable scenario is not: we don't know anything about the optics (besides focal length and maximum aperture) but it should be bad, just because Pentax said something about telescopes.
I generally agree with this. But knowing how much hope we Pentaxians project into this new 560/5.6, I thought it would matter to point out:

- there is a the reference to scope
- and 4" diameter (which explains the odd focal length)
- and a lack of Star designation

that I see the possiblity (I don't say this is true, just it is possible!) that we are talking about a budget 500mm tele lens here.

I think it is a good thing to clarify the possible outcomes of this announcement.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I am sure it won't have an optical performance like those Bower/Vivitar/etc "telescopes" on ebay.
I don't expect it to be Sigma 500/4.5 or 600/4 standard w/o a DA* designation.
But the price won't be like a DA* either.
That's another way of saying what I said.

You should be more clear that that was a thought experiment and recommendation, not a prediction!

Moreover, it was a recommendation for a Sigma500/4.5 or A*600/5.6 class lens rather than a budget lens, with aperture lowered to F5.6 to bring the price down to MSRP $2000. I am not yet seeing that this is what Pentax is going to do now.
02-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Somehow I think the DA 560mm will be around $1499-$1699.
The DA50mm will be around $199.

Now ... I can say 'shut up!' to those who say "Pentax has limited lenses selections".... LOL
And hope very soon I can say the same to people who say "There is no clear camera upgrade path in Pentax"....
02-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the switch on the 560 indicates it has a motor, yes? If it is the 18-135 type DC motor it will be a good thing as I am very pleased with the perfomance/reliability.
02-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Assuming that the above mentioned Japanese patent applies here (How to search Japanese Patents in English | Patent | JPAA, A 2011-022280), then imho the 560 should be a 7+ element construction.
The AF would be solely realized by the lenses on the left in the scheme, the right group would be fixed. The aperture mechanism is in between. The DA 300s are crude guidelines for the size.

The DA 560/300 pictures have already been posted here (now approximately scaled to the mount/barrel size). The sketch was more or less duplicated by hand from drawing 1 of the above patent.
Attached Images

02-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm... I think the DA*300 is larger than that. It's what, almost 8"? I don't think there's any way this 560 is, say, 22", like your picture seems to indicate.