Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Pentax??? No way...Pentax has zero input in my getting work...

It is through a photo agent, referrals and Gallery agents. The more you get published the greater the notoriety and the greater the notoriety the greater the desirability and the greater the desirability the higher the fees etc etc etc.

<CLIP>

Once the photographer has been chosen the Photographer and the Photographer Agent will come to the agency to be briefed by the AB, AD and often CD. The AB will ask which team they wish to work with. I.e, Model agency (model or model's), hair, make-up, fashion/beauty stylist, set designer, retoucher, studio, lights etc. The AB will negotiate with the agents of all of the above talent in a similar fashion as was done with the photographer. Dates for the shoot are coordinated and confirmed. On the day of the shoot a team of up to twenty people may be on the set. Agency, Client and Team. Payment is 90 days from presentation of final image..

Hope this was helpful.

Ben
Ben thanks for the insight into the competitive world you live in - very interesting

Rod

01-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Pentax??? No way...Pentax has zero input in my getting work...

Hope this was helpful.

Ben
It makes you wonder with the countless brochures for each Pentax camera model showing lifestyle photos of people using them, hand models holding them, etc. that were done recently, and are being done now - whether they wanted any input at all that the ad agency give work to the photographers who use Pentax cameras.

Or, assuming that at least some were done by the photographer in digital, that the ad agencies that Pentax uses around the world make their own decisions on photographer and many of those Pentax ads were shot using a Canon 1DX Continental Mark III.

It would be smart that other than just sponsoring photographers, they made sure the agencies they are paying millions to use some of those sponsored photographers to do the brochure photos if their work is in the style needed at the time.

Last edited by mutley; 01-13-2008 at 03:20 AM.
01-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The Process of Getting an Ad Campaign..Sort Of

How an Ad Agency hires a photographer - "Taken from a previously Published Article by Benjamin Kanarek" Professional Photographer Benjamin Kanarek explains about Ad Agencies
An Ad Agency will have a client and the agency will know what the client budget is for the year for Communications, Media, B to B, B to C etc. The agency will suggest certain marketing solutions to the client. Based on the analysis, decisions will be made as to which solutions best suit the clients' goals. Is it Internet, Press, PLV, Viral, Events, PLV's etc. Once the decision is made and if they decide to do an image related Ad Campaign the next steps follow suit.

There is a briefing by the agency with the commercial side of the clients sector. Based on that the Creative Director and Account Executive will discuss the client needs. Based on the briefing the CD will speak with internal traffic of the Ad Agency to find an Art Director or Director's based on the size of the budget and Copy-writing team to work with the AD. They always work in couples AD & CW. The CD will brief them vaguely to give them a lot of latitude but based on the client briefing. Once a concept is accepted by the agency they present it to the client. If it is accepted the next step follows. An Art Buyer will be shown the layout that was accepted by the client. Based on the style of the layout the Art Buyer will start to contact talent that will be able to fulfill that criteria. She/He will contact the Photographer Agents to call in books of Photographers that might relate to the style being sought. This is the same for Still Life, Autos, Beauty, Fashion, Architecture, Tourism etc.

After looking at several books, three to five are chosen by the agency. These books will go with the CD, AD AE to the client. The AD will generally have a preference and fight for it on occasion. The client has the final say, with some diplomatic coaxing. Now prior to that meeting the AB knew the daily rate of the photographer. This doesn't include royalties.

Once the photographer has been chosen the Photographer and the Photographer Agent will come to the agency to be briefed by the AB, AD and often CD. The AB will ask which team they wish to work with. I.e, Model agency (model or model's), hair, make-up, fashion/beauty stylist, set designer, retoucher, studio, lights etc. The AB will negotiate with the agents of all of the above talent in a similar fashion as was done with the photographer. Dates for the shoot are coordinated and confirmed. On the day of the shoot a team of up to twenty people may be on the set. Agency, Client and Team. Payment is 90 days from presentation of final images. Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 01-13-2008 at 05:00 AM.
01-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #19
Forum Member

Ben, I'm new here but wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such information out for us. I am highly interested in being a professional photographer in the ad/fashion/travel world and will definitely be looking for any and all insight you can provide here =)

01-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

How an Ad Agency hires a photographer - Professional Photographer Benjamin Kanarek explains about Ad Agencies
An Ad Agency will have a client... Payment is 90 days from presentation of final images. Ben
Yes, my point was Pentax goes to Ad Agency. Agency is thankful Pentax hired them. Agency says they will do all this meeting stuff, choose photographer, more meetings, fees, more fees, highest possible fees, struggling photographers still get no work, more meetings, then more meetings.

Pentax says "Enough meetings. We are camera company. We hire you. We sponsor photographer Ben Kanarek. He a real mensch. We want you hire him no matter what since we are ones who pay you. After that, you can have more meetings."

Ad Agency says, "Yes sir, whatever you say."

Thats how an Ad Agency doing ads for a camera company can hire a photographer.

Last edited by mutley; 01-13-2008 at 03:17 AM.
01-13-2008, 01:17 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
I can already see old japanese men in expensive suits speaking "We want you hire him no matter!" )
01-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very fine image as always, and great lighting. Congratulation on the sale and coming orders, and how well the exposition must have been received. Just being in the company here, of Helmut Newton, et al. is a credit in itself.

I don’t really get the yellow car pictures, but I’m sure there is some fine explanation as to why it is a good photo. Don’t know if I would vote on it, in any contest, but I’m probably just missing the point.