Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #271
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I don't think so Clav'. I think the P&S market, along with other formats, have put pressure on the APS-C product line and this seems an almost loss leader way of destroying those markets (or taking our minds off of it in the short term at least). You have to wonder why Pentax released the K-01 as a 16mp camera in light of this release and it goes to show that they're still a few steps behind strategically in all of this. They haven't even got the balls to mention FF in interviews let alone say they're releasing one. It's not like the actual format is a seriously new thing or anything.

It boils down to this I think: I loved Kodachrome and never really got into Tri-X but it looks as though Nikon now have the former 'built-in' and the rest of us will be left using Tri-X.

Well... ..maybe not, but it gets my point across I think.
Maybe Pentax are just holding their cards very close to their chest- hopefully something will come out that nobody expected them to do. (ie. mirror less FF LX, and a tv ad campaign about the past of the brand etc)
Like that's going to happen?!

Unfortunatly that is the only way I can see Pentax succeeding right now.

04-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #272
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Clearly from Nikon latest camera's the mp race is far from over, it is smart marketing and they are going for the kill this year.

Most "entry level DSLR" beginner's dont know better and will natrually will go for whatever has the most megapixels.

Pentax sure has some tough times ahead...
04-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #273
Inactive Account

I just watched that new nikon's advert. It's remarkably unremarkable.
The only thing about it that will win things for them is that is is very well put together.

The background "Aaahhhhh ha haa HA HA HA" makes me angry, like they are basically waving their arses at us lot
04-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #274
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
You could have quoted my qualification couldn't you? It was tongue in cheek you know? I did forget the emoticon though....
Sorry, irony detector in for service today

04-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Sorry, irony detector in for service today
Thou art forgiven my son. ;-)
04-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #276
Veteran Member

The writing is on every wall but do you see it? And why not?

On a serious note however....
04-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #277
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
I just watched that new nikon's advert. It's remarkably unremarkable.
The only thing about it that will win things for them is that is is very well put together.

The background "Aaahhhhh ha haa HA HA HA" makes me angry, like they are basically waving their arses at us lot
Nikon's adds are so terribly annoying. And they're on so very frequent here in the Netherlands. Just because of that, I wouldn't buy Nikon. Not even if their newest body would mount my K-mount lenses natively. Not even if they had a "trade-in-your-lenses-for-our-equivalents-for-free" program.

Sorry, I'm one of those rare persons reacts badly to any advertising. That's what drawed me to Pentax in the first place.

04-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #278
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Nikon's adds are so terribly annoying. And they're on so very frequent here in the Netherlands. Just because of that, I wouldn't buy Nikon. Not even if their newest body would mount my K-mount lenses natively. Not even if they had a "trade-in-your-lenses-for-our-equivalents-for-free" program.

Sorry, I'm one of those rare persons reacts badly to any advertising. That's what drawed me to Pentax in the first place.
The way they are heading it will be "I am a nikon, I am the same as everybody else."

I like to be different, but part of it is also me wanting to back the underdog. Ricoh will hopefully grant me some wishes some time soon.
04-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #279
Veteran Member

I think the D3200 with its 24MP and low price is meant to get new buyers, even if Nikon makes a loss on each D3200 body they sell. They know that with 24MP you will soon want high end lenses, but for those in Nikonland you also need better bodies (AF and stuff). So selling a newbie camera at a loss is a great idea if they have the reserves for it and end up getting loyal customers.
04-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #280
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the D3200 with its 24MP and low price is meant to get new buyers, even if Nikon makes a loss on each D3200 body they sell. They know that with 24MP you will soon want high end lenses, but for those in Nikonland you also need better bodies (AF and stuff). So selling a newbie camera at a loss is a great idea if they have the reserves for it and end up getting loyal customers.
Yeah and it will work quite well I imagine
04-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #281
Forum Member

Hmmm, with 24 MP you will need quite an expensive lens to really use the potential of that sensor. I am not convinced an entry-level buyer will do that, most people buy a DSLR with two kit lenses and that is it. Another potential flaw is the big memory card needed, although with jpeg that will not be the biggest problem.

I am very curious how this camera will perform against the successor of the K-r. And no I do not think Pentax is doomed, I like birding a lot and every time my brother and I are shooting birds he regrets his decision to buy the Nikon D90 as it does not have the TAV setting which is ideal for birding. Moreover I have learned to use my K-5 without using the instruction manual too much, but with the Nikon D90 in my hands I am often puzzled how to chance settings etcetera. It is these little things that make me love my Pentax gear!
04-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #282
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hence the term "Loss Leader" and let's not forget that old favourite "Shock & Awe".
04-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lampo Quote
Another potential flaw is the big memory card needed, although with jpeg that will not be the biggest problem.
But memory becomes cheaper every month, for the same price a 4GB card cost 4 years ago we can now get a 32GB that is 4 times as fast... i really don't see the problem.
Currently memory is advancing quicker then sensors in terms of size also the lossless compression is getting better and better when processors become more powerful.
04-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #284
Veteran Member

In 1990 I paid $675 (tax free) for a 100mb SCSI hard drive and I find it quite pathetic when people talk about the high cost of memory cards.
04-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lampo Quote
Hmmm, with 24 MP you will need quite an expensive lens to really use the potential of that sensor. I am not convinced an entry-level buyer will do that, most people buy a DSLR with two kit lenses and that is it. Another potential flaw is the big memory card needed, although with jpeg that will not be the biggest problem.
My daughter has the NEX-7, and she filled 2 16GB cards with RAW files in a couple of days recently, but they're not expensive anymore, so the bigger problem is actually hard disk and backup space.

About the expensive lens: Not so sure about that, even the Sony 18-55 lens is sharp enough in the center area to allow for some serious cropping with the 24mp sensor.