Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikkei: Ricoh-Pentax to release low cost Internet-connected ILC camera

This blog entry refers to an article in the Nikkei business newspaper about a new ILC camera from Ricoh-Pentax. The original article seems to be subscription only.

???????????????????????????????????????? - ????info

- The mount is not specified and there is no indication of whether it will be mirrorless.
- It will be priced around 50,000 yen. For comparison, the Q sells for around 60,000 and the K-01 a bit more.
- It will have connectivity to the Internet, home appliances (TVs?) and sharing services.
- It will be released "by next year". Be careful, because Google translate says next year, but the original definitely says "rainen made ni", which means before next year.
- Ricoh/Pentax is aiming this camera at young people in Asian markets, by which they probably mean other Asian markets apart from Japan itself.
- The blogger and commenters speculate whether it is likely to be Q-mount, K-mount, GXR, or something new. Some believe it will be the true successor to the K-R, some believe it is a more affordable Q, some think Pentax will introduce yet another mount and there is even mention of m4/3.

By the way, I'm not able to read Japanese all that well. I use Google and Babelfish, as well as looking at the original Japanese and can usually figure out the meaning. Go easy on me if I'm wrong!

My guess: It's a new Q body with a touch screen and wireless integration with TVs, iPad apps and Internet sharing services.

04-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would agree that such a camera would make more sense as a Q-mount machine.

If they can integrate upload to Facebook, Flikr etc via WiFi into the camera then they may find a successful niche. Although for most users interested in direct upload to the web I would think a smartphone would be sufficient. Pentax could go further and use a full operation system such as Android - but I am guessing this would be expensive as you'd need some kind of ARM based processor wouldn't you?

Having said this I've always thought a basic FTP function on a DSLR would be useful for some people - especially press photographers.
04-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Cool, perhaps it runs Facebook games and Angry birds as well.
04-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I also read a rumour derived from the same article, but which suggests it'll be a 'cheap' K-01 - 'cheap' in that the materials used will be of lesser quality, etc.

04-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I expect a K-01 rather than a Q, but perhaps this is wishful thinking having just bought a Q (and not wanting to have the 'old' model from the start )...

The Q being as small as it is, I expect it doesn't leave much space for additional electronics, whereas the K-01, as I'm sure we will all agree, seems to have plenty of room available in its (oversized) body?

Of course it could just be a new module for the GXR.

Wim
04-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
- It will have connectivity to the Internet, home appliances (TVs?) and sharing services.
If it won't seamlessly connect to my toaster, I'm gonna be pissed. I need to be able to print directly to bread, damnit.

And don't tell me to wait for a firmware update to have it trigger my coffee maker, either.
04-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My guess is that it will be more like a Android mini-tablet that uses the Q mount.

04-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

But will its firmware contain the MINDREAD.EXE module so it know what pictures to take?
04-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But will its firmware contain the MINDREAD.EXE module so it know what pictures to take?
That will come in a later firmware update.
04-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That will come in a later firmware update.
the same one that fixes the tungsten focus issue it will come with
04-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Saw it on another blog, people were joyfully thinking that would be the only camera Pentax will ever make...
04-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
My guess is that it will be more like a Android mini-tablet that uses the Q mount.
Me thinks this is wher all of photography is headed. but it needs to support full remote control, so when plugged into a tablet/laptop android/ i phone
all camera functions become an APP on the computer...
04-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It'll definitely be a Q thing surely, so people can take photos, add filters and share them straight away, just like instagram, but in a much more awesome package. Like a Q-WiFi edition.

But yeah... Entering WiFi passwords on a camera isn't going to be fun, nor is registering at new hotspots and things, so the interface will have top allow some method of point & click + keyboard. You'd think so anyway... Even Starbucks WiFi needs you to click something to get online.

This thing is going to NEED a touchscreen. If it's true. And I'd rather not have android, it's pretty sluggish and it does far more than you need it to do in a camera. I don't want my camera to be able to play draw something...
04-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Me thinks this is wher all of photography is headed. but it needs to support full remote control, so when plugged into a tablet/laptop android/ i phone
all camera functions become an APP on the computer...

It would be a nice app.

Polaroid has a new camera that is basically an Android device with a better lens. The Android Q could beat that by using the Q mount and having the Android phone with interchangeable lenses. It should sell really well. Then again whay carry a Android camera when you have an Android phone. So just maybe it will be a version of the Q with bluetooth built in so photos can be moved to a smartphone and then uploaded to the internet.

Anyhow, being able to share photos from the camera to the internet is an up and coming thing. Smartphone cameras just are not that good but it is fun to be able to share photos instantly over the internet. Olympus has a bluetooth device where photos on the camera can be uploaded to a tablet/smartphone and then shared. Bluetooth might be better than WIFI for a camera since everyone has smartphones and/or tablets.

Dave
04-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Android
If they started producing cameras that ran on android they'd hit a home run . A lot of manufacturers really just don't grasp the power of software communities that spring up around open source platforms.