Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #226
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Yes, replaced by the DA 35/2.4 AL (see Bojidar Dimitrov).
There are still stocks of new FA 50/1.4 and 35/2 out there. Plus, Pentax always built things (like many manufacturers) in batches. It wouldn't be too difficult for them to make runs of them if the chose to. They actually did that with a batch of A 50/12 lenses about 2 years ago.

05-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #227
Veteran Member

Per Pentax Japan , the FA 50 m f1.4 is not discontinued
05-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #228
Veteran Member

I cannot figure out what "discontinued" means in this line, particularly regarding items that are built in production runs with significant periods between runs.

At least the vendors I deal with issue a notice with last order date, last ship date for new systems, last ship date for new part orders, last date for software updates, last date for guaranteed spare part availability, last date for critical or security patches, last date for tech support (answering of questions and assistance with trouble shooting), etc. Usually over a period of 3-10 years, depending on .... whatever.

Here? I cannot figure it out. The pipeline can be full of inventory and someone will note that it's been "discontinued". Sales pick up and the maker has to think about another production run, this time in brown with a camo grip and trilby hat. I think that Panasonic, who seem to have skipped the course on production planning and inventory management, has "discontinued" the FX150 a half-dozen times since intro. At least that keeps the forums hopping .....
05-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #229
Veteran Member

There should be a K-x replacement soon also, if anyone remember those rumors about a colored K-mount dSLR with a K-z with all the combos of colors for each of its component. I think like the Nikon D3200, it should be a 24 mp camera with about 4 fps, okay video, no weather seal, one dial, etc.

05-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
There should be a K-x replacement soon also, if anyone remember those rumors about a colored K-mount dSLR with a K-z with all the combos of colors for each of its component. I think like the Nikon D3200, it should be a 24 mp camera with about 4 fps, okay video, no weather seal, one dial, etc.
24mp beginner level camera vs the K-30 with 16mp? I don't think so... only Nikon can do it (they can do whatever they want)..
05-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
My guess is that the k-5 successor will start at $1600 and with the DA50/1.8 it will be $1850.

My guess is that the D600 will start at $1800 and with the Nikon 50mm 1/.8, cropped to APSC, it will be $1920. So there's a $70 difference, in my expectation; which isn't that much when you consider how much more versatile the FF would be (both a 31mm f/1.8 'APS-C equivalent' and a 50mm f/1.8 'APS-C equivalent').
If the D600 will be that price then it wont be better at anything except the sensor.
I'm thinking about plastic body, less buttons, no WR, smaller buffer, less FPS, slower processor, maybe even a penta mirror viewfinder and they might cripple the mount like with the entery level nikons
05-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cinders Quote
All this news is nice, but I was kinda hoping for a new Q with a bigger or better sensor for photokina.
Nah, the current Q is fine; Give us a macro and a tele prime on par with the FA77ltd (img. quality, focal length, build) for the Q

(and, sorry for dbl-post, something borked up in my previous posting - or maybe that's just when viewing this forum in TapaTalk?)

05-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #233
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Per Pentax Japan , the FA 50 m f1.4 is not discontinued
Its interesting that a 50/1.4 lens is mentioned in the K-30 press release when they are describing the optical viewfinder. 100% field of view with 0.92x maximum magnification with a 50/1.4.

QuoteQuote:
Optical finder with 100% field of view
Despite its compact body, which is smaller and lighter than traditional mid level DSLR camera models, the K-30 comes equipped with a glass pentaprism finder featuring a 100% field of view and approximately 0.92X maximum magnification (with a 50mm f/1.4 lens at infinity) to cover the entire field of view for easy focusing and framing. Since its viewfinder delivers a clear view of the subject even in the brightest sunshine while also eliminating parallax, the K-30 responds efficiently and reliably to demanding applications and subjects, such as landscapes requiring delicate, high-precision framing, and sports scenes where the timing of shutter release is critical. The K-30 also accepts interchangeable PENTAX Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screens to facilitate manual focusing operation. Optional focus screens include cross-lined and scale types, to accommodate more specialized applications.
05-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #234
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Are the DA Limiteds any worse?
The DA 40 LTD is only 3 years newer than the FA 31 LTD. Everyone seems to miss that the FA 31 LTD got a bigthumbsup on the re-test on the K-5 but the DA 35/2.4 AL did not.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
In all the time since they were released, Pentax has not improved on the FA Limiteds. Nor will they, IMO, since their priorities have changed from producing optical excellence to increasing profits at all costs. The last gasp of their idealism and commitment to photographers was the release of the 645D which made no financial sense. But did make sense in terms of a need to preserve their honour in light of promises they had been making for years.

(Please do not mistake me. This does not mean that I think Pentax will make no more good products. Only that exemplary items like the FA Limited will enter the era of mythology. I wonder how long will it be before they stop production? At that time expect the prices to rise to two grand.)

The discussion of the Photozone tests regarding the FA Limited lenses omits one possibility, indeed a very real fact that explains the apparent contradictions in resolution figures, etc. These tests are not capable of measuring the excellence of the FA Limited lenses, since they were specifically designed to optimise rendering quality at the expense of raw test scores. This is well known and documented. Please see previous threads and white paper of Jun Hirakawa. This will clear up the confusion.

I pointed this very thing out in the FA 43 re-test thread. I also linked to the pages of the paper at Voe's flickr. People may be surprised at how useful those lenses do on a full frame sensor when used they way there were designed to be used.
05-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If the D600 will be that price then it wont be better at anything except the sensor.
I'm thinking about plastic body, less buttons, no WR, smaller buffer, less FPS, slower processor, maybe even a penta mirror viewfinder and they might cripple the mount like with the entery level nikons
Well, we'll see. Perhaps the extreme response for the D800 at $3k will make them think twice about releasing another camera that's such a great value. To me, though, it seems unlikely that they would unveil a 'stripper' model when the D700 is $2200 *right now*.

I guess we could put it this way - for $2300 you can have the D700 with the nikon 50mm f/1.8 RIGHT NOW.

For $2100, you can have the k5 with the 31mm f/1.8 RIGHT NOW. This is basically a wash.

Which do you think is the better tool?
05-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #236

Photos: Gallery
So... How many pages of FF MP blather and nobody said squat about the big, bright FF OVF? (or did I miss it between the elebenteenth millionth discussion of FF DoF/ IQ?)

Everyone go out right now and drop $10 on an old 35mm kmount, and then come back to apsc after a week of shooting it (even if you don't load any film, just use the finder)... and tell me the whole apsc crap line again.

I dig my K-20D, (and the K-10D thats now in my 'oh sh*t) bag. I'm learning to deal with the cramped ergonomics of the K-5, but I won't miss that undersized toy when they go back to real sized bodies. But I love the finders on my film bodies... Pure joy!
05-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #237
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
I'm learning to deal with the cramped ergonomics of the K-5, but I won't miss that undersized toy when they go back to real sized bodies.
This is undervaluing the whole Pentax concept in creating photographic tools that are both ergonomically and technically sound, whilst still being lightweight, physically small and yet robust. If you're looking for heavy and large FF bodies, there are amply available D800s, D3Xs, 1DMkIVs and 5DMkIIIs available.
05-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Well, we'll see. Perhaps the extreme response for the D800 at $3k will make them think twice about releasing another camera that's such a great value. To me, though, it seems unlikely that they would unveil a 'stripper' model when the D700 is $2200 *right now*.

I guess we could put it this way - for $2300 you can have the D700 with the nikon 50mm f/1.8 RIGHT NOW.

For $2100, you can have the k5 with the 31mm f/1.8 RIGHT NOW. This is basically a wash.

Which do you think is the better tool?
about the D700, looks what is happening now with the K30 and the K5, this what can happen to the D700 as well and i'm pretty sure, the K-30 is cheaper to make then the K5 at the moment. Get a camera like D700 but with hardware that is shared by other camera's to reduce the overall production costs and strip it from some functions and stop making the D700.

About what i would have.
Well the D600 are all speculations, so it's quite easy if you ask me. I get the K5 with 31mm now, that way i can make photos instead of wait.
Also 31mm is a great investment, not a lens that will ever become cheap, something that cant be said about the Nikon 50mm. That one most likely willl get replaced in his life reducing his value.
05-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
24mp beginner level camera vs the K-30 with 16mp? I don't think so... only Nikon can do it (they can do whatever they want)..
No, i see no reason to use the 16mp AGAIN. beginners loves to see the number of megapixels and this will be on par with the D3200 and better than the canon's supposedly 18mp (*yawn) for their T4i. Again, more knowledgeable camera users will love the twin dials, the weather resistance, the durablility of the K30, and they should feel that 16mp is plenty especially with the improve iso vs. the 24 mp sensor.

Calling it now, K-z will be 24 mps.
05-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #240
Veteran Member

D800 hardly weighs much more than a K-5. In fact when I pick up my K-5/31LTD combo it feels really solid, dense and metallic. It is definitely a heavier combo than the D800 and the Nikkor 50/1.4G I had. The Sigma 50 and D800 weighs more of course.K5 and grip with a 60-250 is similar size and weight to a D800 and 70-200. No need for a grip on the 800 though I feel.