Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #556
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Do we? It should be an interesting Photokina, but... more interesting than CP+?
Wow that is almost 4 months longer waiting

07-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #557
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Just checking in while still on holiday, everything snafu here I see. I think you guys don't need psychiatry, just a day out in the sun with your cameras :-)
If my own laptop were fixed, I wouldn't be gathering so much post counts like this instead of shutter counts ) so while waiting for repairs to it, all I can do is make a thousand posts in a weak notebook...
07-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #558
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 replacement

Lets face it, Pentax will launck a new version of the K5, with the missing niceties the K30 lacks, and a full frame will come next year if ever. They won't leave the K30 as their top of the line dslr
07-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #559
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Lets face it, Pentax will launck a new version of the K5, with the missing niceties the K30 lacks, and a full frame will come next year if ever. They won't leave the K30 as their top of the line dslr
My hope would not be that they would release a full frame camera, but that they would have a model and add some full frame lenses to their road map, maybe looking at the spring of next year for release.

07-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #560
Veteran Member

I think they will announce a K-5 replacement but it won't be the full deal everyone expects - they need an upgrade path within the format unless they intend to downgrade it to 'enthusiast' only. (The K-30 may well be the top model in the APS-C line of DSLR cameras although I suspect there will by one slightly higher up in the range). I believe that Pentax will make one more APS-C DSLR camera that is 'not quite' a K-5 replacement and reserve the higher quality production model to a new FF camera. They will probably announce a FF but it may only be in a mockup or prototype form to keep us interested and on the hook. A 24MP APS-C and an 16MP FF will be the top and entry level models respectively, the latter offering an upgrade path.
07-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I think they will announce a K-5 replacement but it won't be the full deal everyone expects - they need an upgrade path within the format unless they intend to downgrade it to 'enthusiast' only. (The K-30 may well be the top model in the APS-C line of DSLR cameras although I suspect there will by one slightly higher up in the range). I believe that Pentax will make one more APS-C DSLR camera that is 'not quite' a K-5 replacement and reserve the higher quality production model to a new FF camera. They will probably announce a FF but it may only be in a mockup or prototype form to keep us interested and on the hook. A 24MP APS-C and an 16MP FF will be the top and entry level models respectively, the latter offering an upgrade path.
Well, while I haven't a clue what Pentax will do, APS-C is their one chance to shine, imho. So I hope they don't introduce a replacement for the K5 that isn't top-notch in some way because if it is top-notch Pentax can rightly say they are the kings of this format. That's a pretty good place to be if you want to get your flagship camera into stores. Any upgrade to FF, if it comes, will surely be 90% in the format itself with, perhaps, a beefed-up imaging engine, a super OVF and the like. Chances are that I would still buy a K5 replacement because sometime next year I will likely need to but I'd prefer not to think Pentax were letting themselves down in some way by doing a Canonikon and deliberately leaving off features one might otherwise expect.
07-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #562
Veteran Member

Would it be possible for Pentax to produce a hybrid of full frame and aps-c? This way both side of the full frame and aps-c camp is satisfied.

07-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #563
Pentaxian

K-5 ii
07-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
Would it be possible for Pentax to produce a hybrid of full frame and aps-c? This way both side of the full frame and aps-c camp is satisfied.
I'm not sure what you mean.

There's been chips 'halfway between' APS-C and FF.

However... Pentax has smallish volumes, and no one else is going to purchase the same chip (APS-H, etc). So an APS-H might not be substantially (or any) cheaper than FF.
07-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #565
Banned

Well we only have to wait just a few more weeks. I hope they will offer a K-5 upgrade and a Full Frame with dual-core chip to make it snappy fast. I think that is the main area where they can still improve on the current AF-module without developing a complete new system.
07-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #566
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

However... Pentax has smallish volumes, and no one else is going to purchase the same chip (APS-H, etc). So an APS-H might not be substantially (or any) cheaper than FF.
Doh! That's right ElJamoquio...I forgot that's why the sensor chip needs to be bought elsewhere....ie sony...
07-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #567
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

Well, I still think that having a different sensor is a way to stand out from the crowd. To compete with a camera that performse better then other hi-end (7D, D300) camera's because off the larger sensor.
07-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I think they will announce a K-5 replacement but it won't be the full deal everyone expects - they need an upgrade path within the format unless they intend to downgrade it to 'enthusiast' only.
I was trying to figure out why you would conclude that. A FF will be an upgrade even if the previous upgrade were a full featured APS. Or perhaps you were saying that because you think Pentax needs to keep to a lower price point for the flagship model, considering the new FF models from Nikon.

One possibility is that Pentax could come out with a FF-ready model, regards internal dimensions, in preparing for a FF model later in 2013. It would be equipped with an APS 24mp model in 2012 but then come out with a FF sensor in 2013. This would allow them to spread FF development costs over 2 model years.

I have seen printed output from Sony's 24mp sensor from a Nex7 camera at my photoclub and it is really quite nice. If you go to dpreview.com and enter the Nex forums you will find threads discussing the question as to whether an individual should choose the 16 mp Nex camera or the 24 mp camera. Thats probably whats in our future, if Pentax comes out with a 24mp model this fall.

Another alternative is for Pentax to simply do a brush-up on the existing K5, reuse the 16mp, but upgrade the AF as in the K30 or even better - whatever that is, include focus peaking, include upgraded video stuff, and issue it as the K5s. Save the development dollars for the future FF model.

I like the existing 16mp from my quietly shuttered K5 and won't upgrade this time around in either case. But whatever happens, photokina and Pentax will be fun to watch
07-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
I hope they'll release an APS-H K-3 (new K-5), same sensor as in the k-30 but uncut. :-) shouldn't be so hard? 1500$? What I heard from this forum the sensor wafers are APS-H sized before they are cut to APS-C, and because Pentax are alredy in on the 16mp sensor, why cripple it?

Then there'll be the K-1 with FF sensor.
07-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #570
Pentaxian

The wafers are circular, and big enough so that several sensors can be fit on them (e.g. 300mm diameter). On those, the APS-C sized sensors are made through a lithographic process, and of course they are cut to size.
There's no such thing as cutting an APS-H sensor to APS-C.