Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
A neat little bragging right for the K10D/K20D

Jack Howard, administrator at Popphoto.com's forums and online technical editor, wrote up a little article about the best options for HDR DSLR's. He's written a whole how to book for HDR photography using mainly the K10D, and now he lists the K10D/K20D as in the top 3 cameras for HDR in 2008.

The other two listed are the Nikon D3 and the Canon 1D MkIII. I think we're in good company with regards to HDR photography. I'm surprised to see that none of the more affordable DSLR's have a very good bracketing feature (although there is a workaround for Canon shooters if they tether their cameras with a special software program.)

Here's the link Cool Cameras for HDR Photography - - PopPhotoJanuary 2008

SLC

01-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Seems to be keeping company in a pretty elite crowd...
01-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
And it goes to show that Pentax makes a whole lot of value into their cameras; they've got photography in mind, not strictly sales. These cameras are priced in the advanced amature range, but they are doing everything they can to make them as useful for even professional applications as they can. I've never regretted going Pentax one bit, in fact I pity people who ask what to get and are swept away by the tsunami of Canon XT series users out there to a less capable camera and a brand that makes them pay 2x the price for most of the features you can get from Pentax for just a little more.

SLC
01-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I read that article too. The prices are what get me:

PENTAX K20D: $1300

CANON 1D MKIII: $5000

NIKON D3: $5000

01-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link, I had been meaning to give HDR shooting a try with my K10
01-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

pardon my ignorance

but if you have a tripod, and you have a camera which could have its exposure changed... and you have more than 30 megabytes on your memory card, you can do HDR...

why would one camera be better than another

EDIT: ofcourse... he starts talkinga bout handheld HDR...
01-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
pardon my ignorance

but if you have a tripod, and you have a camera which could have its exposure changed... and you have more than 30 megabytes on your memory card, you can do HDR...

why would one camera be better than another

EDIT: ofcourse... he starts talkinga bout handheld HDR...
First line of the article:
Pretty much every DSLR out there can be used to make High Dynamic Range images, but some make it easier than others.

But hey, a little bragging in an elite crowd is fun.

And he makes a salient point here:

There are two key performance features that set these cameras apart from the pack: Auto Exposure Bracketing and Burst rate. A.E.B. helps a lot with HDRI, since the less you have to touch -- and possibly move the camera -- between exposures, the better aligned the photos will be when they merge. As for burst, the quicker it's captured, the less chance there will be of moving objects in the scene -- a challenge in HDR processing

01-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say that the sample pics in the article leave a lot to be desired though. The Canon shot is full of lens flare and is fairly bland. The Nikon and Pentax shots look a bit surreal and the colours are off and need WB correction. It didn't do any of the models or the technique any favours to the uninitiated that are wonder what the fuss is about.

Surprised they didn't use a subject that would show off HDR better.
01-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K10D can do 5 shot bracketing? Thats great, I didn't know that. That was one of the things that was keeping me in debate about whether to get it or wait and get the K20D because I want to do more HDR. Looking at the specs on Pentax's website I kept seeing it only does 3, was that a firmware update or something? Now I'm even more excited for my K10D to arrive, its on the truck and should be here later this week.
01-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Image quality and dynamic range of each image should also be considered - sure, you can HDR with a JPG from a P&S but, If you want a high quality HDR they're suggesting you try one of those three cameras (technically - I think they mention 5 cameras)
01-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
The K10D can do 5 shot bracketing? Thats great, I didn't know that. That was one of the things that was keeping me in debate about whether to get it or wait and get the K20D because I want to do more HDR. Looking at the specs on Pentax's website I kept seeing it only does 3, was that a firmware update or something? Now I'm even more excited for my K10D to arrive, its on the truck and should be here later this week.
As far as I can remember the 5 has been there from day one.
01-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
Indeed it does 5 shots for bracleting. and does it very well. I have used the function many times, and works a treat with photomatix. You can even adjust the middle (normal) shot and will adjust the brackets either side. Canon friends of mine are dead jealous.
01-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

To give you an idea, (now that I have got my K10D out), press and hold the bracket button on the top left, then turn the front dial until you get the number 3, 5, or off. select 5.
Used the back dial to select the amount, .3 .7 1 1.3 1.7 or 2 stop (depending on how you have set you camera for brackets - you can do .5 steps or even 1 step as well).

Then after you have selected, use the dial that you have set for ev (mine is the front again) this will adjust the ev, yet keep the bracket distance as you have set it. Clever eh?
01-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
To give you an idea, (now that I have got my K10D out), press and hold the bracket button on the top left, then turn the front dial until you get the number 3, 5, or off. select 5.
Used the back dial to select the amount, .3 .7 1 1.3 1.7 or 2 stop (depending on how you have set you camera for brackets - you can do .5 steps or even 1 step as well).

Then after you have selected, use the dial that you have set for ev (mine is the front again) this will adjust the ev, yet keep the bracket distance as you have set it. Clever eh?
Thats nice to know, I will definitely be giving that a workout when my camera gets here.
01-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
...Use the back dial to select the amount, .3 .7 1 1.3 1.7 or 2 stop (depending on how you have set you camera for brackets - you can do .5 steps or even 1 step as well).
Here's another Exposure Bracketing-related (K10D) tip: The 5-shot EB will work even when you're using the Remote (either Immed or +3 sec delay) to trip the shutter. It only makes one exposure per click of the remote, but sure enough, if you hit the remote 5 times, those 5 shots will be the 5 exposures in your bracket.

This means you don't have to touch the camera at all to get a 5-shot set.