Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
As to the original poster's rumor, I was just thinking as I was playing around with my new K-30 that a K-5 matched with the K-30's improvements would be a great camera. Maybe they'll do that along with something else added in to surprise us. Priced reasonably ($1100-$1200?) it could sell somewhat well.
If K5 replacement is a 24Mpx APS-c, it has to have major improvement with AF and QC in order to compete with others. Sony A77 ($1300) and Nikon D3200 ($650) both house a 24Mpx APS-c sensor. Of coarse these are different machines with different capabilities....
I am not sure how Pentax is going to attract new customers if the specifications are similar to Sony or NIkon and trying to sell the replacement at >US$1500.00.

08-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #47
Veteran Member

We've all seen cameras that were issued too early. I'm glad that Pentax is taking the time to do it right and get the bugs out before they ship. Even several owners of the D800 have had to send it back to get some focus problem fixed. Is that what you guys really want - to send it back for another month of fixing once you get the batteries charged?

The slow delivery of the K5 successor is probably an indicator that Ricoh is having an impact on the camera - and i think thats good!
08-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The slow delivery of the K5 successor is probably an indicator that Ricoh is having an impact on the camera - and i think thats good!
Except that they're likely not going to release only one camera .
08-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
If K5 replacement is a 24Mpx APS-c, it has to have major improvement with AF and QC in order to compete with others. Sony A77 ($1300) and Nikon D3200 ($650) both house a 24Mpx APS-c sensor. Of coarse these are different machines with different capabilities....
I am not sure how Pentax is going to attract new customers if the specifications are similar to Sony or NIkon and trying to sell the replacement at >US$1500.00.
I think you are right here. Of course Pentax needs to do something to keep its current customers, but that is not how a company survives. They will need to attract new people to the Pentax name. They used to provide a value and added features to the Canikon offerings, but as the technology keeps improving, the cameras are starting to really be similar (of course, I am not talking about the lens lineup or the ergonomics, etc, here).

Don't get me wrong...I am all in with pentax at this point and I will be through one more APS-C (then I really will have to switch if they don't offer a full frame for business reasons), but I think for Pentax to survive they must attract new and not rely on just keeping the old.

08-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #50
Veteran Member

If Pentax is delaying the release of the K-5 successor by 6 months it can only be so it releases a FF at the same time.
08-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #51
Veteran Member

What would the business purpose be for delaying the k-5 successor?
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
In addition to ff being useful for sports (IMHO that requires both timing and detail to get it right), landscapes (so you don't have to stitch), macro and wildlife, ff is also great at events and parties. .
FF is less useful for most of these things, particularly wildlife and macro. For landscape you won't see the difference between a 24mp APS and a 24mp FF image in a final print.

08-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #53
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
If Pentax is delaying the release of the K-5 successor by 6 months it can only be so it releases a FF at the same time.
When did the 6 month delay commence?
08-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
When did the 6 month delay commence?
When that rumour was announced by another member yesterday.
08-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
FF is less useful for most of these things, particularly wildlife and macro. For landscape you won't see the difference between a 24mp APS and a 24mp FF image in a final print.
But there is a difference in post processing. To get an aps to look the same as ff in a print it takes a little more work. There is a reason why so many pros will go for ff. If they were the same the no one would spend the extra money on ff cameras.
08-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #56
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
When that rumour was announced by another member yesterday.
ohh.. hehehe well I don't like that rumor... so let's not rumorize that one. let's rumorize september instead
08-06-2012, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote

In addition to ff being useful for sports (IMHO that requires both timing and detail to get it right), landscapes (so you don't have to stitch), macro and wildlife, ff is also great at events and parties.
At the end, its about right tool for the job and/or the proper application and FF is not the cureall for everything.
I'm easily getting very good results from the much despised small sensor Q for macro and long range animal shots.

Just a Q+macro lens; On a FF camera or even APS-C, you'd need to use crazy lengths of extension tubes or close focus lenses.

Long reach - wildlife?
Q+FA*80-200 at f4 (1100mm equivalent); On FF or APS-C; it would need at least a crazy expensive 400/5.6 and crop from there.

Sometimes, pano stitch gets the landscape at far better resolution than 1 shot would from a camera.
Imageshack - imgp1062imgp1083and2mor.jpg
08-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You will not see a FF camera the size of the Q. The image circle projected by the lens requires a lens mount that is larger than the Q.

Pentax Q: 98 x 58 x 31 mm.
Olympus XA: 102 x 65 x 40 mm.

Not quite the same size, but pretty darn close.
08-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I wonder more about the future of the Q? If they could get it closer to my X10 with an OVF or EVF and a little larger sensor, I might be a buyer. I like what I see from the Q, but a viewfinder is a must have for me......although I hear that Sony Rx100 "White dots' screen works in bright light...but I'd have to see it to believe it?

Pinhole.....Those are excellent shots!

Regards!
08-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #60
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Just a Q+macro lens; On a FF camera or even APS-C, you'd need to use crazy lengths of extension tubes or close focus lenses.

Is that a single shot or the results of a focus stack?