Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why?
That lens is:
- Sigma
- shorter
- old
I don't see the point about the brand : is the Pentax lens suppose to be better just because it's a Pentax ?

honestly, is 60mm (10% longer then) such a big deal, a huge difference ? Would you buy the 560 if you have the 500 ?
And i think, that if you have the choice between a 500/4.5 or a 560/5.6 but the latter is $1,000, you'd take the first and crop a very little bit your picture with a great pleasure !

Again, i don't see the point about "old", if you mean that because the Sigma is from around 2004, and thus, it's a bad lens because it's 8years old, then my point is that it's not a very valid argument : lots of old lens are very very good.
If your point is that you hope that the new 560 will be better than the old Sigma 500, because the Pentax is newer, that may be not the case, but anyway, it's only hope for now!

09-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
I don't see the point about the brand : is the Pentax lens suppose to be better just because it's a Pentax ?
No, but it's supposed to be more expensive
We were talking about prices, so let's expand a little bit the 3 points:
- a third party lens maker, with very few exceptions, would have to sell its products for less than the OEM. Sigma definitely fits here.
- the Sigma being shorter means it should be less expensive, even if we're only talking about 60mm. OTOH it's faster, which adds to the price. How to balance the two, I have no idea if it's even possible; we're also talking about different designs (even though some people here have the wrong idea that the Pentax will be a cheap, mediocre lens).
However, the Pentax being closer to 600mm than 500 IMO means it shouldn't cost less.
- the Sigma being launched how many years ago means the R&D expenses were probably recovered long time ago, and let's not forget what time does to street prices.
09-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

- a third party lens maker, with very few exceptions, would have to sell its products for less than the OEM. Sigma definitely fits here.
- the Sigma being shorter means it should be less expensive, even if we're only talking about 60mm. OTOH it's faster, which adds to the price. How to balance the two, I have no idea if it's even possible; we're also talking about different designs (even though some people here have the wrong idea that the Pentax will be a cheap, mediocre lens).
However, the Pentax being closer to 600mm than 500 IMO means it shouldn't cost less.
- the Sigma being launched how many years ago means the R&D expenses were probably recovered long time ago, and let's not forget what time does to street prices.
The 560 is supposed to be a budget lens .
09-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Care to bet about that?
L.E. Wait... what kind of budget are we talking about? Hopefully not this kind:
http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/leica-most-expensive-lens

09-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Care to bet about that?
L.E. Wait... what kind of budget are we talking about? Hopefully not this kind:
The world's most expensive camera lens
Any Pentaxian should know that you never bet on Pentax .

I've been given very specific information about the targeted price range, which is below the Sigma.
09-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Hmm... inside info, nice. The bet still holds

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-07-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: removing extra comma
09-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Hmm... inside, info, nice. The bet still holds
Oh and, of course, nobody knows about U.S. prices these days.
I wonder if the 31 limited will soon cost more than a Noctilux :P

09-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Are you kidding? It's a lot cheaper than what you pay for other systems!
No I am not kidding. I think Pentax should have kept it in their catalog. Like I said there were plenty of people that did buy it. I couldn't at that point in time nor any other system either. It was a quasi special order unit and it wasn't like they had shelves full of them. While 13,000 is a lot of money, $8,500 is still a significant purchase. If I had it, I would certainly get an FA* 600/4.
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
No I am not kidding. I think Pentax should have kept it in their catalog. Like I said there were plenty of people that did buy it. I couldn't at that point in time nor any other system either. It was a quasi special order unit and it wasn't like they had shelves full of them. While 13,000 is a lot of money, $8,500 is still a significant purchase. If I had it, I would certainly get an FA* 600/4.
Yes, of course, they never should have stopped production of it.
Now, for the average wildlife shooter, compare, what's less expensive to get into the trade?
Pentax, Canon, Nikon or Sony?

If Pentax plays their cards right, they could soon establish quite a market in that segment.
09-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If Pentax plays their cards right, they could soon establish quite a market in that segment.
specialy when thinking that it's better to be APS-C for this !
09-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
specialy when thinking that it's better to be APS-C for this !
Certainly, although a D800 has the same pixel density as a 24mp APS-C sensor, plus the Nikon AF is second to none right now.
But, still... a D800 alone costs as much as a K3 + 300/4.
09-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Yes, of course, they never should have stopped production of it.
Now, for the average wildlife shooter, compare, what's less expensive to get into the trade?
Pentax, Canon, Nikon or Sony?

If that FA* 250-600/5.6 and FA* 600/4 were still in the lineup, would clearly be. They should had seals to those two and Call them D FA 600/4 WRand D FA 250-600/5.6 WR and call it good. If I had the money for a Canon 600 L, I would still scrounge up a FA* 600 instead or maybe a Sigma prime.
09-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Full name is HD Pentax-DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW.

AW means All Weather (this is the branding of the recent 645 lenses). HD corresponds to a new coating: goodbye smc, sorry for you Takumars.

Source : Digicam Info ?????????????????????? - ????info
09-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Full name is HD Pentax-DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW.

AW means All Weather (this is the branding of the recent 645 lenses). HD corresponds to a new coating: goodbye smc, sorry for you Takumars.

Source : Digicam Info ?????????????????????? - ????info
That doesn't necessarily mean Pentax is doing away with SMC on the rest of the lenses. It could have something to do with this particular telescope lens. HD may be a way to denote lenses that have Aero Bright added. It could also be a marketing gimmick.

Last edited by Blue; 09-09-2012 at 11:59 AM.
09-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #45

I have very little interest in long lenses, let alone exotically long lenses so I've been following the rumours surrounding the 560 in the name of lazy curiosity, largely since it's nice to see a camera or lens maker do something new. But I was under the impression that the 560 is:

-very awkwardly shaped, and one would imagine balanced...
-lacking or limiting exotic elements...
-as fast as a garbage truck...

...all in the name of being cheap.

Though I acknowledge that there has been some frankly insane pricing decisions committed by Pentax in the last little while, it benefits them to have the cheapest extra-long option for novice birders, astrophotographers, and sports-shooters (or merely those on a budget). It does not benefit Pentax at all to have a single extreme telephoto option which is harder to transport, has a less advanced optical design, and is significantly slower than a comparably priced third party option (which is incidentally available in the other mounts as well). As I mentioned above, I don't follow the prices of long glass very closely, but I really do feel that for this lens to make any impact it needs to be under US $2000. In other words, at $4000 I yawn and read some reviews, at $1600 I start telling myself that I should really be taking more bird pictures. That's one market. The other is people who already knew they wanted to take bird pictures, and at $1600 they have some incentive to switch systems.

Also, with regard to the trade off between the focal length and aperture, I cannot imagine a possible world where 60mm of reach would cost as much in dollars as two thirds of a stop of light gathering. But if it were, Sigma has a 500mm f6.3 for around $1000 (and it comes with your choice of a free 150mm f5.0 or, for a few hundred more a 50mm f4.5).

Now I never said anything about mediocre, but it has to be cheap because, if not, well what the the hell is it? And who the hell is it for?