Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Schneider claims they developed the SA digital lens

Translated version of http://www.photoscala.de/node/1730

yeah right!, maybe they designed the ubber grip pattern on the Samsung SA lens. or that blue band...

Now get ye arses out there and develop some REAL SLR lens for the K mount, that'd be fantastic news for us.

(If that scenario comes true, then Pentax would have support from Zeiss, Vogtlander AND Schneider)

02-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
Translated version of http://www.photoscala.de/node/1730

(If that scenario comes true, then Pentax would have support from Zeiss, Vogtlander AND Schneider)
Do you mean...Cosina_Tokina?
Rui
02-07-2008, 04:42 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Strange. I read the original interview (in German) - and the guy claims what you posted, although most of the time I got the feeling, he talked about PS-lenses. Yet,...

Jan
02-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Do you mean...Cosina_Tokina?
Rui
Tokina? Where? What did Tokina bring for now? 12-24 and? not sure anymore...

02-07-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Trying to read that Google translation has turned my mind to mush! Looks like Yoda-speak
02-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I heard somewhere that Yoda's speech is grammatically correct - in German...

Any Deutschlanders here willing to confirm that?
02-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Trying to read that Google translation has turned my mind to mush! Looks like Yoda-speak
I've read it in German. One sentence may stand out: "In the actual case of the SLR lenses for Samsung it is that mass production is done by Samsung. But Schneider Kreuznach is responsible for the development of the lenses, tests of prototypes and quality checking of mass produced lenses."

The particular term "responsible for the development" may mean that they did development inhouse but the German phrasing would not rule out an interpretation where they only supervised a development at Samsung or elsewhere incl. Pentax.

A sentence earlier he said "The apparent similiarity of a Pentax and a Schneider-Kreuznach lens is due to the constraints imposed by the design of the camera".

Earlier again he said "It is true cooperation, not licensing our name".

02-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Samsung has talked about in their quest to dominate (or be 3rd by 2010) that they might start to produce their own lenses w/ unique designs etc. I hope they start w/ the 600mm F4 and work down
lol
02-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah...

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Samsung has talked about in their quest to dominate (or be 3rd by 2010) that they might start to produce their own lenses w/ unique designs etc. I hope they start w/ the 600mm F4 and work down
lol
that'll be a big seller.

Cheers,
Cameron
02-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I've read it in German. One sentence may stand out: "In the actual case of the SLR lenses for Samsung it is that mass production is done by Samsung. But Schneider Kreuznach is responsible for the development of the lenses, tests of prototypes and quality checking of mass produced lenses."
Could this not be similar to the relationship that Zeiss had with Contax/Kyocera? Zeiss designed the lenses, and Kyocera manufactured them to Zeiss's specifications, and boy, were they great.

Rob
02-08-2008, 05:16 AM   #11

Well, German is my native language, but I don't get it...

So, the 18 - 55 kit lens Schneider-Kreuznach is NOT the same as the 18 - 55 Pentax ?
Just "similar due to the constraints imposed by the design of the camera"?

But the same "Made in Vietnam" and the same specs otherwise.. Just coincidence...

I have my doubts.

EDIT: Well, the article is rather old.. and has lot of comments of german readers. The same doubts here, to say the least, they are even furious remarks about "modern marketing bullsh*t"...
02-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #12

remember the good old days of American K cars? back then, people tell you to buy the car if it was produced on Tuesday or Wednesday, since it's less of a lemon than the cars produced on Monday and Friday. Same cars, same engineering. Quality just go to hell on a bad day. I know this is more of a urban myth than anything else but...

I don't pretend that I know about lens manufacturing and quality control. that said, one could argue that Sneider Krueznach have a higher quality control standards on lens testing before they accept a Vietnam-made lens. a little bit of that could go a long way in lens quality. I know it's just hypothesis, nonetheless SK clearly have had a historically good reputation of producing quality lens. they are not a cheezy 3rd party company by all measure.
02-09-2008, 03:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I've read it in German. One sentence may stand out: "In the actual case of the SLR lenses for Samsung it is that mass production is done by Samsung. But Schneider Kreuznach is responsible for the development of the lenses, tests of prototypes and quality checking of mass produced lenses.".
Massproduction is payed by Samsung, but it happens at Pentax lens assemblent plants in Vietnam.
Schneider may very well has tested the lenses to see that it meets a certain quality standard, otherwise they wouldn't put their name upon it. The DA 18-55 was released by Pentax before they signed the partnership with Samsung.
02-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Massproduction is payed by Samsung, but it happens at Pentax lens assemblent plants in Vietnam.
Schneider may very well has tested the lenses to see that it meets a certain quality standard, otherwise they wouldn't put their name upon it. The DA 18-55 was released by Pentax before they signed the partnership with Samsung.
What about the 35/2 ?