Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adding a hotshoe would put it in direct competition with the Q.

01-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #347
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Is that a bad thing?

What's the difference between the K-30 and the K-5II?
01-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #348
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Do you really think the GRD is a comparable product to the MX-1 but for the hot shoe? It is a single FL, and its list is $100 more.
You're asking the wrong person. Even with a zoom, I inevitably shoot 99% of the time at the widest and fastest focal length anyway so a zoom is wasted on me. So I would pretty much use an MX-1 just like a GRD anyway, which means they are comparable, in which case the features of the GRD are much better.

Except for video. Ricoh video to date is total pants. Any camera/phone is better at video than a GRD. But to be fair that's primarily due to the CCD sensor. The new CMOS as in this MX-1 is more video capable.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
GXR S10 kit is more like it, but still more money. You are not paying that for the hot shoe, though. If you are buying into the GXR system, you are getting a whole lot more options.
Not really,. The only options you get with the GXR 'system' is merely a swappable back (ie the same card, battery, settings, file sequence etc) you can use on any of the 6 GXR camera (unit)s currently on offer, from P&S zoom to rangefinder mount. Just like any other range of half a dozen disparate cameras from any other maker (eg Fuji superzoom, X10, X100 etc), you only buy the one you need/want.

So if you only want one of the cameras, eg many people have just bought the Mount A12 and ignored the rest, you won't have any reason to swap the back onto another camera so the GXR 'system' doesn't mean anything as you just treat it as standard camera.

PS. The file sequence thing is one of the unsung boons if you have more than one GXR camera unit. You can swap between the cameras and keep the image numbers continuing in sequence on the same SD card as if you were still shooting with one camera.
01-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Is that a bad thing?

About $500.

01-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I don't think that will be a problem ... Q still offers the luxury of removable lenses.
Something that MX will probably never do ...
01-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #351
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Not really,. The only options you get with the GXR 'system' is merely a swappable back (ie the same card, battery, settings, file sequence etc) you can use on any of the 6 GXR camera (unit)s currently on offer, from P&S zoom to rangefinder mount. Just like any other range of half a dozen disparate cameras from any other maker (eg Fuji superzoom, X10, X100 etc), you only buy the one you need/want.

So if you only want one of the cameras, eg many people have just bought the Mount A12 and ignored the rest, you won't have any reason to swap the back onto another camera so the GXR 'system' doesn't mean anything as you just treat it as standard camera.
That is exactly what I am saying. Your aren't just getting the added flexibility of a hot shoe (a relatively cheap and common accessory platform) but the ability to transform the entire camera. It does not seem fair to say the GXR is an M1 for people who want a hot shoe and EVF. It is a very different system from a fixed mounted P&S with a hot shoe.
01-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #352
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donghao Quote
Well, K-01 would have been a success if it looked like this one...
Excellent point.

01-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Excellent point.
And was similarly priced.
01-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Is that a bad thing?

It makes perfect sense to differentiate cameras in the line. To answer your question: A good bit. The K-5 takes a grip, the K-30 does not. The K-5 has a top LCD, the K-30 does not. And on.
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #355
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Sure, as classic as faux woodgrain on cars.
Hey, what wrong with faux woodgrain on cars? Or vinyl roofs? Or fake dual exhausts? Just kidding.
01-10-2013, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #356
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The GXR feels much more responsive (in terms of AF and LV) even compared to the Pentax K-01. I don't think Pentax and Ricoh have combined their technologies yet, I also don't think it's as easy as it sounds from a development standpoint.
My (global) investment brokerage firm was acquired by a similar, smaller (global) brokerage firm / investment bank in January, 2009. We ran two completely separate firms side-by-side for three years while we studied the operations of both firms. We combined operations, technologies, personnel, policies and branding image in successive steps from February-July, 2012. In September we began fixing things that didn't work. We expect that to be complete in December, 2014.

None of the above says a thing about developing a new product.

Any undergraduate business management curriculum includes studies of how NOT to merge two companies (PennCentral, anyone?). PRIC seems to be doing this deliberately and prudently, as has worked out more often than not.
01-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #357
Pentaxian

Thank you, monochrome; I hope this will put to rest ideas like Pentax Ricoh starting product development before coming into existence
01-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #358
Veteran Member

Yep, merging two companies as big as Ricoh and Pentax is a lot of work ... it will take a couple of years until the company is fully merged and can go full steam ahead.
Studies, decision as to what to keep and get rid of (getting rid of redundant things), personnel evaluations, meetings over meetings ... "office politics"... etc ...

I'd hate to be in the middle of that stir that's for sure ...
01-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My (global) investment brokerage firm was acquired by a similar, smaller (global) brokerage firm / investment bank in January, 2009. We ran two completely separate firms side-by-side for three years while we studied the operations of both firms. We combined operations, technologies, personnel, policies and branding image in successive steps from February-July, 2012. In September we began fixing things that didn't work. We expect that to be complete in December, 2014.

None of the above says a thing about developing a new product.

Any undergraduate business management curriculum includes studies of how NOT to merge two companies (PennCentral, anyone?). PRIC seems to be doing this deliberately and prudently, as has worked out more often than not.
I agree with what you are saying...but I hope this marriage is greater than the sum of its parts.
Let's be honest, Pentax has not been viewed as a top notch camera company for a couple of decades. And Ricoh, while big in the office machine world, has always been a bit player in the camera world too (interesting, well built products no doubt, but always far from mainstream).
01-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #360
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I agree with what you are saying...but I hope this marriage is greater than the sum of its parts.
Let's be honest, Pentax has not been viewed as a top notch camera company for a couple of decades. And Ricoh, while big in the office machine world, has always been a bit player in the camera world too (interesting, well built products no doubt, but always far from mainstream).
Just because Pentax is not one of the big sellers does not make it a bottom dweller. Leica also is not a top seller. Me thinks Pentax and Ricoh are top notch companies as it pertains to cameras. My two cents.