05-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really what I wanted to hear after picking my ordered K5iis 30 min ago

05-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Personally, I don't mind paying higher prices if I know I'm supporting a progressive company that's moving forward. Although, that new price on the 43mm might make me think real hard about earning my Limited Collector's Badge, I still might if something real and significant were also happening (better communication with this forum by an official Pentax rep might even be enough).

Don't also forget we're all going to see another price hike real soon, in the form of internet sales taxes. I'm pretty sure Congress will approve the collection of sales taxes in the not too distant future.
As an FA43 owner, I wouldn't pay the $500 I paid for it again. I certainly wouldn't pay $750.
05-01-2013, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is about time they raised the prices on these gems. They were very under valued for what they were. Come on, people. These are Pentax lenses we are talking about. Compare these prices to that of Leica lenses. What a bargain. We better stock up, boys.
05-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Personally, I don't mind paying higher prices if I know I'm supporting a progressive company that's moving forward.
Huh? Progressive in what way? Its not like they are leading a technology revolution with a 40 year old mount. Pentax is playing catch-up in almost every aspect of the game. They make really good cameras that I like, but so do other companies.

05-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Anybody think higher prices might just be inflation?
No. Inflation is not a real factor here. 50% for an established lens that is years old? Inflation?
05-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Huh? Progressive in what way? Its not like they are leading a technology revolution with a 40 year old mount. Pentax is playing catch-up in almost every aspect of the game. They make really good cameras that I like, but so do other companies.
That was sarcasm... a poor attempt, I guess.
05-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #67
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Blame? Seems to be quite obvious. It takes about 1,5 years to develop a DSLR. A new owner is guaranteed to mean some change of plans and/or new strategies...
Nikon developed their entry level full frame in nine months

05-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #68
Veteran Member

That was sarcasm... a poor attempt, I guess.
Thanks for clarifying because I reacted the same way to your post. Its a tense time with Pentax raising prices old older models of lenses for no apparent reason. I wish they would put as much effort into an improved AF system as they appear to put into playing games with their current customer base. But then MBAs have always been easier to generate and hire than engineers.
05-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got home a while ago, had some dinner and thought I would see what is on the forum.

I don't understand. I didn't understand the previous price increase either. This is stupidity rising to the top.

The 10-17 and 12-24 are the same lens as what Tokina offers in Canon and Nikon mounts, for substantially le$$. I fail to see any logic in this - at all.

05-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Are Canon and Nikon offerings in line with respect to price between US and other parts of the world?
Pretty much.
Take the Canon 35/1.4.
It's $1425 without tax in Germany,
and $1479 (but currently with $150 "savings") at B&H.
05-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Pretty much.
Take the Canon 35/1.4.
It's $1425 without tax in Germany,
and $1479 (but currently with $150 "savings") at B&H.
And tax is what for the lens in Germany? When I buy it from B&H I pay no tax. So the lens is $1479-$150=$1329 out the door.
Germans on the forum can correct me, of course, by my recollection is that the rate of value-added tax rate generally in force in Germany is 19%.

So, that lens in Germany is $1425 + $271 = $1696 out the door. My poor math skills say that it is $367 dollars more in Germany (or $217 without the "savings" in force currently).

By your reasoning Canon should immediately up the cost of that lens in the US. Wonder why two very successful camera companies don't have completely level pricing around the globe? Hmmm. I wonder.
05-01-2013, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Anybody think higher prices might just be inflation?
There isn't a lot of inflation in the economy right now. Jacking up the price 10 or 20 bucks you could blame on inflation or exchange rates but some lenses had $250 price jumps. I can see no reason to justify a price increase like that. Most companies at least have enough sense to discontinue a product if they aren't making enough profit and then roll out a "new improved" one for the higher price. Sigma has been doing that and nobody is bitching.
05-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #73
Forum Member

Well this completely pushes me over the edge never to look back. I've recently bought into M43 and Nikon, you know Pentax is out of control when I can consider the 4 new, full frame Nikon lenses I bought recently to be a "bargain" Throw in an amazing Yongnuo flash I bought for $200 that has full wireless i-TTL capability with remote flash control via the camera, great power, and exposure accuracy and my biggest regret now is not making the switch sooner...

Nikon, Canon and Olympus have all been offering deals with the Yen's devaluation and Pentax think they can raise prices even further??? Who's running the asylum???
05-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #74
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Not really what I wanted to hear after picking my ordered K5iis 30 min ago
I think NZ prices are safe.
People are talking here about PRIC USA and their local management of prices.
One thing we must constantly remember — PRIC USA is not global Pentax !
Their actions concern US customers, NOT the rest of the world.

Thus let's not judge global Pentax by the behaviour of PRIC USA.
05-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think NZ prices are safe.
People are talking here about PRIC USA and their local management of prices.
One thing we must constantly remember — PRIC USA is not global Pentax !
Their actions concern US customers, NOT the rest of the world.

Thus let's not judge global Pentax by the behaviour of PRIC USA.
Here's my take on that issue.

Pentax Japan took direct control of Pentax USA with the replacement of Ned a while back. They also said that the new head of Pentax USA is only an Exec VP and that the President of the Company is the CEO or Pentax USA. So, the head of Pentax Japan is in charge officially, through a surrogate, at Pentax USA. It makes it darn hard to say this is only a rouge action by Pentax USA and not a reflection of the attitudes and judgement of Pentax Japan.