Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Interview with Pentax's John Carlson

Pardon me if someone beat me to the punch.

Pentax interview

03-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #2

Thanks for posting!

Interesting interview; and besides, in the final comment, I'm positively surprised to see him comparing Pentax with Apple: I have done this comparison myself, and I think it's spot-on.

Both companies have many points in common, and I sure hope that Pentax, in 8-10 years, will become what Apple is now: not the dominant player in marketing numbers, but certainly the dominant player (and a prestigious one too) for those with an eye on the finer details.
03-11-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

A pleasant read, but nothing I didn't already know.
03-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
@Cateto:

"Interesting interview; and besides, in the final comment, I'm positively surprised to see him comparing Pentax with Apple: I have done this comparison myself, and I think it's spot-on."

I agree with you. Although the Apple comparison is more difficult to see now than it would have been about 15-20 years ago when Apple seemed to have an aversion to marketing, and were relying almost solely on "Mac Evangelists" to promote their platform. I think a comparison is more readily made between Pentax and Subaru.

"Both companies have many points in common, and I sure hope that Pentax, in 8-10 years, will become what Apple is now: not the dominant player in marketing numbers, but certainly the dominant player (and a prestigious one too) for those with an eye on the finer details."

I couldn't have stated that better. That's exactly what I'm hoping will happen with Pentax.

-XM

03-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He said that 645D is too expensive to sell. I think that 645D is dead.
Need to wait another pro-camera.
03-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It was interesting to hear him talk about the price of the 645D. It sounds like pentax built up a reputation (probably aided and abetted by us) of low-price high-quality that is simply impossible to deliver in a medium format digital for the price we were expecting. It was also interesting to hear that the 17-70 is intended to replace the 16-45. I wonder if this will be the begining of a redesign/fixing for some of the more popular non-SDM lenses.
03-12-2008, 02:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The only thing that Pentax and Apple have in common is that their products can't run Autodesk software.

03-12-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
@ftpaddict:

"The only thing that Pentax and Apple have in common is that their products can't run Autodesk software."

Operating under the assumption that you don't expect that iPods should be able to run CAD or 3D rendering software, you must have been directing your comment at Apple's line of computers.

My brief response comes in four parts:

1) Generally speaking, a computer can not run software which is not written for it's platform. This is not, by any reasonable person, regarded as a deficiency of said platform.

2) Autodesk software can be run on the Windows XP platform.

3) The current Mac models can run Windows XP.

Your statement is incorrect.

-XM
03-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I really don't see the Apple analogy; the Subaru one works better for me. To me, Pentax is not as innovative as I perceive Apple to be. Subaru makes totally competent, highly dependable cars that are not flashy and are (I think) good values. I've owned a lot of cars, of different makes, and think that the Subaru Outback wagon that I own is one of the best of the bunch. No flash, but really good across the board. I've owned Pentax cameras since the late 60's (along with others) and feel that they fit the same description.
03-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I really don't see the Apple analogy; the Subaru one works better for me. To me, Pentax is not as innovative as I perceive Apple to be. Subaru makes totally competent, highly dependable cars that are not flashy and are (I think) good values. I've owned a lot of cars, of different makes, and think that the Subaru Outback wagon that I own is one of the best of the bunch. No flash, but really good across the board. I've owned Pentax cameras since the late 60's (along with others) and feel that they fit the same description.
Not to mention most people don't give either a second look despite them being better than the competition. Hopefully the k10d was their WRX and now we'll get a STi.
03-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
The only thing that Pentax and Apple have in common is that their products can't run Autodesk software.
As a joke that is nice, but for serious discussion, you should oversimplify things a little less IMO.

But strictly for the sake of discussion, I would like to say that you are wrong:

if Autodesk runs on Windows (sorry, I never used it), then Autodesk runs on all current Mac computers based on Intel processors: by using Bootcamp, Macs can be booted either on Mac OS X or on Windows, thus you can run Autodesk.
03-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I disagree: in my opinion, the very DNA of Pentax by now is that they make seriously good products including very innovative features. Just compare the K10D, when it was launched, with the competition. Several in the exposure modes were completely new and have been later copied by Canikons. And when you have a quiet look at the ergonomy of Pentax dSLR (and particularly the K10D/K20D), you feel it simply WORKS, just like Macs: there is no grease, all is well thought and put in the right place.

Further, if you look at the IQ, you will realize that Pentax, as Apple, focus on what matters (i.e., good, realistic pictures) and forgets about the plasticky image quality of other major brands. Just like Apple offers the stuff you need and forgets about the thousands of useless possibilities offered by Microsoft in most applications, which are used by 1% of users but are bloating the equipment of 100% of the users.
03-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I love the comparison between Apple and Pentax since both have changed the way I do things photographically for the better. They're both very good at making high quality, no nonsense, fun to use pieces of kit that when you finally give them a fair shake (which most are unwilling to do) are a joy to work with. I didn't enjoy using my windows computers, I didn't really enjoy using my Nikon 35 mm gear, I certainly didn't enjoy using the Nikon digital gear that I evaluated before going with the K10D, to me that's where they are the most similar. The Pentax feels like an extension of my hand when I'm using it, the Apple computer feels like an extension of my brain when I'm using it. They do indeed "just work".

I'm a huge fan of both!

SLC
03-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
As a joke that is nice, but for serious discussion, you should oversimplify things a little less IMO.

But strictly for the sake of discussion, I would like to say that you are wrong:

if Autodesk runs on Windows (sorry, I never used it), then Autodesk runs on all current Mac computers based on Intel processors: by using Bootcamp, Macs can be booted either on Mac OS X or on Windows, thus you can run Autodesk.
I KNOOOOW!

Autodesk have developed AutoCAD and 3DS Max, if any of those ring a bell.
Until 2006-2007, no Mac could run Windows. That only changed recently. Perhaps PENTAX will follow suit? (by marketing their lenses in F and EF mounts? crazy enough to work...)

Note that I am an avid hater of Apple's marketing strategy, but it could just be what the doctor ordered, for Pentax.
03-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Apple/Pentax analogy works for me because I use both for very similar reasons. They both do a better job for me than other tools I have tried. Both put quality over quantity. Both help me get more milage from my passion and make more money with my business.