Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I agree, the K-30 design was not harmonic. It was more original, of course, but I bet they've found out that a large number of especially female buyers were put off by the design. I think it looked a little bit like they've left the styling to one of those car tuners which will take a normal cheap car and turn it into something that most grown up people would be embarrassed to drive to the mall.

The K-50 doesn't look quite as stylish as the K-x, but I disagree that it looks like a Canon. It's larger than the 100D (sits between the 100D and the 700D in size) and heavier than even the 700D, but IMHO it has more harmonic looks than both of them. And of course it's much more rugged.
So the extra cost of the K-50 when compared to the K-30 is justified because female buyers "may" like this body styling more?

06-06-2013, 01:16 AM - 6 Likes   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been a Pentaxian since 2010 when I bought my first Pentax - the K-7. Since then, the same exact process has occurred over, and over, and over, and over again without fail. Has it not grown tiresome?

Just the past month there have been complaints about how Pentax is clearly falling behind because the releases expected in March, April, and May never came. "WHERE ARE YOU PENTAX?! WAKE UP!! JUST RELEASE A NEW CAMERA ALREADY!!" And now that they have, we can add another "and over" to the above cycle.

K-30, May 2012:

QuoteQuote:
The main reason though that I just don't like the K-30 though is the body. I find it very unattractive. It reminds me way too much of the boxy plastic cameras they made in the late 80's and 90's.
QuoteQuote:
The design of this camera is just ugly.
QuoteQuote:
It looks almost like something a kid would carry, a fake toy camera and I don't mean that in a cute way. They could make it in hot Barbie pink with high end Swarovsky bling and I'd still think it was butt ugly. They're trying to market that camera to us all but that camera just doesn't really appeal to the eye, I don't think. There's nothing wrong with the innards but the body could use a better design for sure.
QuoteQuote:
I agree the K30 is hideous, especially compared to the near utilitarian perfection of the K5
QuoteQuote:
I look at that camera actually and I just cannot believe that the same company that made the K-30 made it until I look at my P3 that is. That's the same thing to me. It's actually a very good camera, but the design just doesn't appeal to me at all.
K-50, June 2013:

QuoteQuote:
I hope this hoax......the body design si terrible.....no character
QuoteQuote:
epoch of degradation
QuoteQuote:
K-30 is more sexy with outstanding design. K-50 is.....no design.
QuoteQuote:
The design of this camera is just ugly.
I personally don't find it attractive, and would agree with it being very "canon-esque," however we seem to have this incredible proclivity for being completely blind to the forest while we focus on just the trees.

The truth is, even if Pentax put "one too many zero's" on the order form for the 16mpx Sony Sensor, that it is a phenomenal sensor, especially for this demographic of potential consumers targeted - beginners, firsttimers, and casual hobbyists. Does it appeal to me? Absolutely not. But are we unable to appreciate that this is
  • a new PENTAX, resulting in new Press Releases (DPR, Photorumors, etc), ensuing in free marketing
  • a new PENTAX, resulting in new reviews (DPR, Photozone, Image Resource, The Phoblographer, etc), ensuing in free marketing
  • a new PENTAX, resulting in an addition to the lineup that is 100% competitive in this bracket with class-leading features of weather sealing, dual control wheels, 100% OVF, Focus Peaking, Full HD Video, IBIS, etc
  • a new PENTAX, resulting in the perception that Pentax covers all (APS-C) tiers to the beginner (K-50, K-30, K-5 II, K-5 IIs - that's pretty damn good from a "looking-in-from-outside perspective"), giving faith into the investment of Pentax, often discouraged as "Pentax is dying, and it's just a matter of time."
  • a new PENTAX, resulting in new buyers even if it is just a refresh. How many consumers sprung for the T3i over the T5i despite being the same camera with a couple new tricks and three years newer and over twice the price? Negligible - Canon may be despised for their God-awful, repackaged entry level products, but they aren't dumb. They know how to sell cameras and do it better than anyone. Different market but related - why do chips and cereals change their entire package - "NEW LOOK, SAME GREAT TASTE!" - because "Fresh" and "New" is fundamental to a product's perceived value, even if it's the same exact thing
  • a new PENTAX, resulting in more sales, that then provides resources for great lenses and that mythical FF that apparently will be received with the same fervor as the second coming. Canon's and Nikon's 1DX/5DIII/D4/D800's and 300 f/2.8 or 600 f/4's wouldn't exist if it weren't for their ###D/D####'s.
  • If the DA L WR rumors prove true, then Pentax has just re-solidified its commitment to industry leading (not just in the quality of it, but both its ubiquitousness to the lens lineup and afffordability compared to the competition)
I could go on, but I would hope that isn't necessary. Regardless, the overwhelming theme is that it is a new PENTAX. And we would all be fools to claim that it is a junk camera even if it didn't appeal to us. I can't think of a DSLR that Pentax made that was utter crap in the past 7 years whereas it's no secret that Canon/Nikon intentionally cripple their own entry levels. With the same exact specs, how many would have killed for this K-50, knowing what that sensor and the K-30 can do, 5 years ago as a premium APS-C DSLR for $2,000, and yet it is Pentax's entry level standard today? Pentax is known for quality, and I am entirely confident that this will push that envelope even further, albeit in the entry level segment. A dark, unnavigable place which I realize is where the majority of us forum dwellers have escaped from eons ago in nothing short of spectacular fashion.

Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 06-06-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
06-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
a new PENTAX, resulting in the perception that Pentax covers all (APS-C) tiers to the beginner (K-50, K-30, K-5 II, K-5 IIs - that's pretty damn good from a "looking-in-from-outside perspective"), giving faith into the investment of Pentax, often discouraged as "Pentax is dying, and it's just a matter of time."
I agree with your sentiment, but I think you're slightly wrong here: Why would they keep the K-30? The K-50 looks a lot like a replacement.

The addition of the DA-L WR'ed lens makes me wonder, though: If there is a smaller and simpler K-500 coming up, maybe that camera too will be WR?
06-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #124
Veteran Member

[*]a new PENTAX, resulting in an addition to the lineup that is 100% competitive in this bracket with class-leading features of weather sealing, dual control wheels, 100% OVF, Focus Peaking, Full HD Video, IBIS, etc
[*]If the DA L WR rumors prove true, then Pentax has just re-solidified its commitment to industry leading (not just in the quality of it, but both its ubiquitousness to the lens lineup and afffordability compared to the competition)
Two good points. No one offers this package in this market segment. Now they need to sell the product better, preventing customers from leaving the store with the inferior offerings from Canikon.

Regarding the exterior design, I personally gets annoyed that it doesn't has more in common with the K7/K5 design which imo is the best and most elegant dslr design from any manufacturer. The look of it gives the impression of being tough, durable and stylish.

06-06-2013, 01:53 AM - 2 Likes   #125
Banned

Bold, unique desigs do not ecessarily sell all too well. Camera buyers are mostly conservative, and if Pentax want to grow, Pentax must be prepared to sacrifice a bit of their pride and make one or two bodies more conforming on the outside, but packing them with goodies on the inside.

K50 design is a bit more mainstream, but after looking at it more closely, its far better than Canon designs. This design is a well balanced blend, that mingles well among T5s, d3200s etc, yet it still has something of its own. It won't divide opinions of mums, dads and grandpas like the K30 has done. When a salesman hands it over and says it looks similar to Canons or Nikon,s costs about same but it's fully WR, has pentaprism etc ...
there are no visual deterrents, nothing that challenges their perception, no bizarre excuses that will stop them from buying a better value.

Do you get it folks? Do you really get this k50? It's brilliant. If you don't get it, I believe you're a bit childlish at this moment because you think only about yourself. But it will pass.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-06-2013 at 02:00 AM.
06-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Digit Photo is legit source, very well known seller with excellent reputation...
First i was shocked to notice K30 is already out but I now realize this one was launched in May last year.
I would prefer a 2 body APSC lineup with this K50 and K5II replacement (K3?). Having a K500 would not bring much in comparison with all offerings already available from Canikon and beyond. This K50 is a great so called entry level camera.
Prestige wise a FF on top (ML maybe) would be a good complement. An above K3 APSC would not bring much either and would lead to wrong price point, competing with D600 etc
06-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #127
Forum Member

it looks like a cross between a kx and k30. I still prefer the k30 though

06-06-2013, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a new PENTAX, resulting in the perception that Pentax covers all (APS-C) tiers to the beginner (K-50, K-30, K-5 II, K-5 IIs - that's pretty damn good from a "looking-in-from-outside perspective"), giving faith into the investment of Pentax, often discouraged as "Pentax is dying, and it's just a matter of time."
Before the K5, different tier cameras were very different from eachother. It meant different IQ, different features and clearly different sensors. See the K110D, K200D, K20D, KR, K7, etc... Worlds of difference between the models.

But now, there is this whole range of different tier cameras, that seem to the have the same insides. Which is why I haven't seen any reason to upgrade since buying the K5. Since the K5, no Pentax DSLRs have been released that really differ from eachother like the different models did before 2010.

It seems like they are desperate to issue "new" models, and revert to recycling 2010 technology over and over and over again to keep bringing cameras to the market and to keep making money off of uninformed newbies.

It only confirms that Pentax is struggling.
06-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote

Do you get it folks? Do you really get this k50? It's brilliant. If you don't get it, I believe you're a bit childlish at this moment because you think only about yourself. But it will pass.
How does spending more money on the k-50 than the k-30 when their only difference is styling make me brilliant? That seems like a childish investment to me.
06-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #130
ogl
Banned

The price of K-50 is close to K-5II.

"New" Pentax cameras don't need any investments at all. It's the indication of financial weakness of company.
K-5II has minor tweaks. K-50 has no tweaks at all - only new body + cheap WR DAL kit.
Is DA18-55 WR bad? Is plastic mount better than metal for WR lens? Is it much cheaper?
No. It's match economy. Yes...It looks like they economize the matches in walking mountain trip.

Last edited by ogl; 06-06-2013 at 02:25 AM.
06-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Regarding the exterior design, I personally gets annoyed that it doesn't has more in common with the K7/K5 design which imo is the best and most elegant dslr design from any manufacturer.
Agreed! I picked up my LX the other day, first time in a long time, and it suddenly struck me that the K-5 has much of the same DNA without looking "retro" at all.
06-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #132
Forum Member

Does anyone actually check the original post?

The website has been modified this morning. The K50 has been removed.
06-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #133
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
How does spending more money on the k-50 than the k-30 when their only difference is styling make me brilliant? That seems like a childish investment to me.
Well, re price, let's wait and see. Pricing always come last, and with the official announcement.

If K50 is some intermediate level offer, not pure entry level, the price is fine. K30 was similarly expensive at launch, maybe more, and this is a better camera in some aspects even than K30. Magnesium body alone is well worth the price. It is a great value.

But Pentaxians may asks themselves this: "Ok, I don't get it. This is same as the K30. Why would I get one of these? What's the deal?"
And the answer is obvious: it is not intended for those who got the K30 or K5(II). If you got a K30, then you're ready for Pentax. But what about others?

What about those thousands of people who didn't get into Pentax because the K30 looked a bit too strange to them despite being good? A body salesman skipped because they were unsure, uncomfortable? I think all others deserve a chance, and this is the chance. Don't spit on it — give it a fair go. Can you live with a fact that not everything is made to your exacting satisfaction, and that there are millions of others who don't dig Pentax because it's too extreme for them?

Shall we laugh at Pentax for giving them a chance?

Wait for bodies and specs that you're lusting for. They will come .. albeit not right now. But soon.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-06-2013 at 02:29 AM.
06-06-2013, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Before the K5, different tier cameras were very different from eachother. It meant different IQ, different features and clearly different sensors. See the K110D, K200D, K20D, KR, K7, etc... Worlds of difference between the models.

But now, there is this whole range of different tier cameras, that seem to the have the same insides. Which is why I haven't seen any reason to upgrade since buying the K5. Since the K5, no Pentax DSLRs have been released that really differ from eachother like the different models did before 2010.

It seems like they are desperate to issue "new" models, and revert to recycling 2010 technology over and over and over again to keep bringing cameras to the market and to keep making money off of uninformed newbies.

It only confirms that Pentax is struggling.
But has 2010 tech gone out of date that much? The 16 MP Exmor sensor is still one of the best sensors out their. The 24 MP Exmor is okay, Toshiba's 24 MP sensor is great, but the file sizes go up a lot. Canon has been recycling their 18 MP sensor for way longer than anyone else in the industry.

Is it so bad to use one of best sensors again? I don't think this model is aimed toward the current existing K-5/K-30 owners, more for the new camera buyers and the K-x/K-7 and older users.

Maybe waiting for the next big sensor tech breakthrough is a wise decision. 16 MP is way more than what most households even need or use. 4x6 prints were fine long ago with 6 mp cameras. My Kr has 12 MP with the D90 sensor, and that camera(D90) is still being made(?) and sold!

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2013/06/24-hours-only-nikon-d90-w18-105-new-...n-for-600.html
just my .02
06-06-2013, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #135
ogl
Banned

I have been a Pentaxian since 2010 when I bought my first Pentax - the K-7. Since then, the same exact process has occurred over, and over, and over, and over again without fail. Has it not grown tiresome?

Just the past month there have been complaints about how Pentax is clearly falling behind because the releases expected in March, April, and May never came. "WHERE ARE YOU PENTAX?! WAKE UP!! JUST RELEASE A NEW CAMERA ALREADY!!"
It's hard to be a fan.

It's not new camera. It's mockery.