Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I agree. They said the K-500 comes with the Li-ion battery but it clearly doesn't. Most suspicious is their claim the viewfinder doesn't show focus confirmation points but then they don't mention the lack of electronic level. I'll wait for another review before I believe the focus points claim.
Yeah, seems a bit fussy if not messy for now.

06-13-2013, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the K-500 does NOT have VF focus point indicators that is a very, very stupid move by Pentax.

Unbelievably stupid because all the competition does. And sine by other competition I mean Canikon and their larger product families cutting a corner on what many see as a necessity just makes Pentax look cheap while the others "get it" on convenient usage. You have newbies often using the 5 an 11-point (slow) focus points and they like to know what actually has been targeted. That feedback loop is critical for them to make better photos.

This is one of the ways good engineering is killed by beancounters and it will almost certainly get a major knock-down on points in the reviews. It did before and will again.
06-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I've never before complained about a new product released by Pentax but I can't help it this time due to the body style. The rounded top looks just like a Canon camera, especially around the pop-up flash. I think Canon makes some very nice products but they are so ugly I hate to look at them.

I mention the design because I'm surprised by it after Pentax released the K-30, with such bold lines and a distinctive, unique profile. Too bad. Oh well, just my thoughts.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagi Quote
This is one sad announcement. Really frustrating to see, a brand one loves, making so unreasonable moves. Replacing great camera models after just one year or even less on the market, while leaving the products, that have been on the market for almost three years unchanged.

Replacing a great distinctive design of K-30 with the "I'm so boring, you probably wouldn't want to buy me" looks of the K-50 and K-500. And without any serious progression. There is no articulated screen, which in my opinion buyers in this segment would really appreciate. I am affraid, buyers in the consumer segement don't just appreciate a great sensor and a nice processing unit. And to be honest - no one really needs 100 different colours, the choice with K-30 is more than enough. And Q7 with the larger sensor is just, what it should be from the very beginning.

So - with announcements like this, even as a huge Pentax lover, I really can't see a bright future for the brand. Really sad ...
I have a feeling that there will be a sequel to the k-30 styling even if production is stopped (and so far there is no indication that k-30 is discontinued YET).

In fact, looking at one of the photos of the k-500 top view reminds me of the k-10D styling.

Last edited by aleonx3; 06-13-2013 at 07:11 AM.
06-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Another preview confirms the lack of selectable focus indicators in K-500:
Pentax K-50 and K-500 unveiled: First Look | What Digital Camera
QuoteQuote:
A further difference between the K-50 and K-500 is that the former will feature focus point indicators in the viewfinder and also a digital level, while the latter will offer neither. Pentax's omission of focus point indicators has proved controversial in the past, and was one criticism we had of the Pentax K-x.
And yet another good preview:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/06/12/first-impressions-pentax-k-500/

The pics--taken with the kit lens--look awesome.

Photoblogapher note on K-50:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/06/12/first-impressions-pentax-k-50/
QuoteQuote:
Autofocus

In our preliminary tests, the autofocus didn’t seem to be much improved over the previous system in normal lighting but it was exceptional in low lighting–and that was our major gripe about the K-30. To be fair, we often used the center focusing point and recomposed, and we didn’t test the outer points at all. That will be the camera’s biggest test.
--and:
QuoteQuote:
...were surprised by how much the autofocus improved when using the center focusing point in low light conditions.

Last edited by causey; 06-13-2013 at 06:59 AM.
06-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I was hoping the K-500 would be like:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

And I say so because the K-01 was not really a workable concept, the K-30/K-50/K-500 pentaprisms are excellent.

Only problem I can see is with AA battery compatibility size-wise. I wonder if they can get away with 3 batteries (and a 2 battery tilt/rotate flash please).
06-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Look at the second one, it's like the K-01 never left!
I gotta say... that yellow/black K-50 is a sexy beast. 'Til the yellow bits get all grimy with use, that is...
06-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Can people CALM down. This happens every time a camera is released - quickie "reviews" that aren't.

This is from DPReivew:
The K500 is a more budget-conscious model ($599/£449 with a standard, non-water-resistant 18-55mm lens), with only the weather-sealed body, electronic level, and included battery differentiating it from the K50. Unlike its pricier sibling, the K-500 comes only in black. We're a little surprised by this, but according to Pentax, it's a logistical issue. Offering three cameras in multiple color options would simply have been too much to handle.

06-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Can people CALM down. This happens every time a camera is released - quickie "reviews" that aren't.
There is a short video at WhatDigitalCamera. The guy presenting the camera actually has a K-500 in his hands. I tend to believe what he says. Which doesn't mean I'm not calm.
06-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #159
Veteran Member

I think the new models are fine, just.. kind of unnecessary. Not a lotta innovation going on here, but I'm glad they're at least continuing to make the K & Q lines. The K-30 was an interesting camera, and design-wise a departure from the previous lineup, but without being too quirky, like the K-01. But then again, this is just my opinion... Maybe most people prefer conventional styling... Maybe more people will buy the K-50 than did the K-30. I can't see too many people giving up their K-30s for a K-50, though. I know I wouldn't.

So color me... meh.
06-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Oops! You're almost right. K2 production ended the same year the LX commenced production. However it was the M series cameras that were sold in that year, the KM and KX having ended production in 1977. Still great days for Pentax, with four or five models on the shelves at one time. Thirty years and more later, they're heading back that way, it seems.
Let's hope so! They really had a lot of presence back then. I was just a teenager when the MX+ME were introduced, but already ready to purchase my second SLR - I had just sold my Topcon Unirex, which was a great camera but a dead end as a system (difficult to get lenses at all). I had friends with the OM-1, it was high on my list, but the MX was a jewel and I was lost to Pentax :-)

If they get a public awareness of the K-500 and K-50 like they did with with the MX and ME back then, they may very well grow again. I remember they didn't just get praise, some complained that the cameras were far too small, and some just laughed at the automatic ME, especially in the M-40 kit version. But they were very, very visible in shops and in magazines.
06-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #161
nah

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Docrmw, these are just entry level DSLRs that we've seen before, no game changers. People have to stop drinking the Pentax Kool-Aid and see what other companies are doing and what Pentax is not. I picked up a Sony RX100 before my trip to Europe 3 weeks back and is it ever an awesome camera.

The Sony RX1 and RX100 are game changers in their space, these K cameras are not.
06-13-2013, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #162

All grousing about FF aside, I think this is awesome. This positions the company very well in the mid- to upper-mid-tier DSLR market. They now have a nice stable of excellent cameras for enthusiast photographers who are "in-the-know." (as opposed to those who buy their camera at Walmart, LOL! All due respect to Walmart of course!)

I mean seriously - for anyone looking for a sub-$500 DSLR (which is undoubtedly where the price will settle to shortly after introduction), what will compare with the K-500? The Nikon D3100, which doesn't even offer exposure bracketing? The Canon T3i which feels like a child's toy? If any of my friends or relatives ask my advice on which camera to buy, they'd better be prepared for an enthusiastic and long-winded endorsement of the Pentax lineup.

And for those who see this as a pointless upgrade to the K-30, please consider that this is what technology companies do. They have to keep moving forward. Frankly I'd be quite worried if they DIDN'T have a successor to the K-30 in the cooker.
06-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The cameras are getting quick exposure here in Sweden. Cyberphoto.se, one of the biggest camera retailers hypes them big time (although they seems to have forgotten about the Q).
On Facebook they write (I translated):
QuoteQuote:
Pentax launches!

K-50 and K-500 are in the foundation the same camera, but K-50 has weather sealing and comes in kit with weather sealed lenses. Of course with a price difference.

When you read the specification they feel like two affordable newcomers to the market!
On their blog they also write about them:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax now launches K-50 and K-500. Two similar models where the main differences is that K-50 got weather sealing och comes in kit with weather protected lenses.

In the big picture the K-50 / K-500 is an upgraded K-30. Just like K-30 they got 16 MPixels resolution and a well built weather protection. The max ISO now peaks at 51200. They are class-best with a burst rate of up to 6 pics/second and the viewfinder covers 100% of the picture which is uncommon below the Pro section.

Just like in the past Pentax offers colorful cameras, and we have to see which color variants that makes it to Sweden. At least, black and white will be available.
Fotosidan, I think it's the biggest photo magazine in Sweden, sounds interested too and mentions that:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax says that they have been able to deliver two models thanks to the extra resources that the new owner Ricoh has provided. The goal now is to become the main brand for outdoor open air shooters.
06-13-2013, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #164

Oh, and if I were in charge I would get a K-500 in the hands of every photography student I could find. Reach out to community colleges, private schools, workshops, even online photography classes - photography students are potentially a big market. Students often don't have big budgets, but if you could get them hooked on the Pentax line with their first DSLR they would probably be loyal return customers for a long time. Position the K-500 as the ultimate "Student Camera."
06-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
There is a short video at WhatDigitalCamera. The guy presenting the camera actually has a K-500 in his hands. I tend to believe what he says. Which doesn't mean I'm not calm.
I did not say they did not have one for review, merely that they could be (and many initial quickie reviews are) wrong about specific facts. As for who isn't calm, these discussions tend to spin out of control on the flimsiest information.