Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #226
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
But there is IFA :

The Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin (IFA) is one of the world's largest consumer electronics trade fairs.
The next IFA will be held in Berlin from 6 September to 11 September in 2013.
RICOH will be present in Hall 2.2/110.
  • Ricoh HZ15
  • HD Pentax DA limiteds (15, 21, 35, 40 ,70) (s/b)
  • Pentax AF360/540 FGZ II
  • Pentax ?-?
There will be something for LIST.4 and LIST.5. Ricoh Imaging has a Press Conference scheduled for September 5. They surelky wouldn't tip all the surprised before the big event!!

08-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #227
Forum Member

ran into my regional rep today

... He was updating displays at a local camera shop. (there were no unfilled gaps so nothing new will be on display very soon)

I thot I'd press him on what might be coming up and he replied, "There's ALWAYS something coming up every autumn."

I proceeded to list off all the recent announcements as an obvious deduction, which doesn't leave much...

A new 645? I think it's due for an update. "..not likely yet."
Yes, we know MF has a long service life but it's about time for an update on that one, IMO. Was this just a way of dodging the topic?

Hmmm. How about a K5 update? Or maybe a K3?.. This elicited a little grin. And a change of topic.
Make of this what you will.
08-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #228
Veteran Member

When will Adam add a betting subforum here? I think that one could have made pretty good money betting against FF release or announcement for years.

Who's willing to take a bet? I say an upgraded APS-C DSLR by Pentax will be announced around Sept 5th 2013.

Last edited by Raffwal; 08-31-2013 at 02:02 AM.
08-31-2013, 01:57 AM   #229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote
... He was updating displays at a local camera shop. (there were no unfilled gaps so nothing new will be on display very soon)
Even with an announcement, it would take some time to get the products in the shops.
Don't worry, he will re-update them later

08-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #230
Veteran Member

They've already announced new versions of the limited lenses plus new updated flashes. Given this action already, i believe a new camera announcement is just around the corner, so to speak

I think it will be a new APS camera, however. They might put a 24mp sensor in it - not sure how i feel about that.
08-31-2013, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #231
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote
Hmmm. How about a K5 update? Or maybe a K3?.. This elicited a little grin. And a change of topic.
Make of this what you will.
Well he just thought off the one time he cheated on his wife with that wonderfull 18 year old girl Katrien.

09-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #232
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
When will Adam add a betting subforum here? I think that one could have made pretty good money betting against FF release or announcement for years.

Who's willing to take a bet? I say an upgraded APS-C DSLR by Pentax will be announced around Sept 5th 2013.
Hmmm...no-one makes big money backing the odds-on favourite do they!

Notch me down for the outside chance: the long awaited full-frame, alongside a revamped line of FA Ltds (with similar treatment to the DA Ltds), and two new FF-capable zooms (24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8). A risky bet, I know, but it'll be a big win if it comes through!

On a more serious note, I'd say an upgraded APS-C is highly likely (K5iii, to line up with the rest of the APS-C series?). Given remarks from earlier in the year there's a good chance it'll be marketed as 'professional-grade', although I'm not too sure what that would entail over and above the quality of the K5 / K5ii.

That would leave the fabled 'K3' designation for my risky outside bet

09-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Hey - there's every single time a few believers to be milked!
09-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #234
Veteran Member

Notch me down for the outside chance: the long awaited full-frame, alongside a revamped line of FA Ltds (with similar treatment to the DA Ltds), and two new FF-capable zooms (24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8). A risky bet, I know, but it'll be a big win if it comes through!

On a more serious note, I'd say an upgraded APS-C is highly likely (K5iii, to line up with the rest of the APS-C series?). Given remarks from earlier in the year there's a good chance it'll be marketed as 'professional-grade', although I'm not too sure what that would entail over and above the quality of the K5 / K5ii.

That would leave the fabled 'K3' designation for my risky outside bet
I'm not sure that Ricoh would have refreshed the Limited lenses in the way they have if the only new camera they have in mind is a standard-issue black box. So while a conventional replacement or companion for the K5II is highly likely, I'm hoping for a second, wild-card camera which might be rather different and is very much the small, svelte body specifically intended to match these small prime lenses. Think Canon 100D/SL1 but taken all the way up in terms of sensor, style and materials, and perhaps not even with a mirror. People in the West might think WTF but that wouldn't matter in the least if such a camera were a hit with folks in Asia. That market alone would likely keep Ricoh running at full capacity. Time to starting issuing virtual tokens for virtual bottles of champagne so we can all place our bets ...
09-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #235
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I'm not sure that Ricoh would have refreshed the Limited lenses in the way they have if the only new camera they have in mind is a standard-issue black box. So while a conventional replacement or companion for the K5II is highly likely, I'm hoping for a second, wild-card camera which might be rather different and is very much the small, svelte body specifically intended to match these small prime lenses. Think Canon 100D/SL1 but taken all the way up in terms of sensor, style and materials, and perhaps not even with a mirror. People in the West might think WTF but that wouldn't matter in the least if such a camera were a hit with folks in Asia. That market alone would likely keep Ricoh running at full capacity. Time to starting issuing virtual tokens for virtual bottles of champagne so we can all place our bets ...
God spare us tiny DSLRs with grip, like Canon 100D.
Let's hope it is something retro coming, some K1000 / LX like DSLR; that with DA limiteds is a match made in heaven.
Why this? Take a look at DPreview popular camera chart — that damn beautiful and retro Fuji X100/100s is sitting there since it was anounced. Even GR disappeared a month after the review, but X100s stood. And it stays now too. No other camera ever approached its constant popularity.
09-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #236
Pentaxian

Uluru: popularity doen't necessarily translate in sales I'm willing to bet Pentax sells more than Fuji.
There is a possible marketing story behind the update, they made it clear those are higher grade lenses (suitable for a higher grade camera). I doubt that higher grade camera would be smaller, as performance needs space.
09-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Lol, as I said folks in the West might think WTF. But that really won't matter if customers in Asia like a camera of that kind. And, yes, the Fuji X100s is another and very successful on the idea of small, svelte, classic, beautifully designed, high quality throughout. The Limited refresh suggests that Ricoh are after more than just another lens to put on the front of a camera, imho, though there's nothing wrong with that and thousands of other lenses are out there often at much lower cost. However, in the Limiteds (including the FAs) Ricoh have an opportunity to make a very distinct statement with a body, accessories and marketing all tailored for that line. Had Pentax had the means, I think they might have done this long before now. Just guessing of course, but it is somewhat in the vein of making the most of what you have.
09-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #238
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
However, in the Limiteds (including the FAs) Ricoh have an opportunity to make a very distinct statement with a body, accessories and marketing all tailored for that line. Had Pentax had the means, I think they might have done this long before now. Just guessing of course, but it is somewhat in the vein of making the most of what you have.
I really think this is what they did with K-7, as it's pretty much custom made for DA Ltd. But I also think they want cameras that are well suited for use with larger lenses like DA*.
09-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #239
Forum Member

Hi all,

I spoke with a Pentax retailer this afternoon... To paraphrase: "Ricoh are investing a great deal in Pentax, and they are going about it the right way. The plans for the future are exciting"...
Well, that is exciting news/rumors!
09-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
God help us if Pentax makes anything.

Better to have everyone equally upset over nothing than to have half the Forum singing hosanna and the othre half declaiming dooooom.