Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

No More Astronomical Telescopes from PENTAX

I know they were insanely expensive$$$$$ But if I won the Lottery YES Please.. In the Astro Imaging community these were a jewel.. Good news is they are sill making Astronomical eyepieces..(For NOW) That are loved by Astronomers worldwide..

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pentax.jp%2Fjapan%2...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Telescope Reviews: Goodbye, Pentax!

'And I Thought The D3X Was Way Cool'

'This will Make Those Canon Sports Pro's Look Twice'

Last edited by Adrian Owerko; 12-25-2008 at 05:28 AM.
12-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well heck, maybe they'll have a clearance sale...
12-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #3

IMHO this lens is too heavy & too slow for sport anyway, one only able to get head shots close-up, Canon Sport Pro will laugh at it, if someone really used it for sport.

btw, it is really cool lens for astronomy.
12-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by take Quote
IMHO this lens is too heavy & too slow for sport anyway, one only able to get head shots close-up, Canon Sport Pro will laugh at it, if someone really used it for sport.

btw, it is really cool lens for astronomy.
It's not a lens, it's a telescope of course. The mount is a German equatorial mount not good to terrestrial uses. Of course, any telescope can accept cameras for astrophotography, but the intention is not to use setup like that for shooting anything on the ground. They did it just for fun.

12-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax Telescopese

I didn't even know that Pentax made telescopes. But then, I didn't know they made PC printers, either, until I read the announcement that they were getting out of that business.

Paul Noble
12-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I didn't even know that Pentax made telescopes. But then, I didn't know they made PC printers, either, until I read the announcement that they were getting out of that business.

Paul Noble
I know someone who has 2, 400mm F4 and 900mm F7 but not certain. He uses an ST10 ccd on it.

Here is a link to a few of his photo.

Wayne Malkin | Astrographica
12-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's unfortunate. Although both my telescopes are Vixen my first ever was a hand-me-down Pentax table top (all of 40mm I think)

Thanks for posting this information.

cheers

Greg

12-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Inactive Account

After reading Adrian Owerko's OP I Googled Pentax astronomical telescopes to learn more..

I was already aware that their spotting scopes, spotting scope eyepieces, and some of their binocular offerings were considered to be first class optics, comparable to Zeiss, Swarvoski, and other equally high-end offerings..

I was surprised to learn (really should not have been!!) that Pentax's latest SDP telescope offerings were considered to be top-notch astronomical telescopes..Their price tags certainly reflect the good reviews that I read about them..

Thanks to Adrian for posting the info..It is always interesting to learn something new about Pentax..

I'd love to have one of the Pentax SMC 125 SDP 5", f6.4 APO Refractor Telescopes, an assortment of Pentax XW Eyepieces, a Pentax 7x35 finder scope, a Losmandy G-11 equatorial mount with tripod, and all the accessories to take astronomical photographs with the Pentax 67II camera..

Unfortunately, I do not have a spare $15,000.00 lying around to afford such a setup..The photos that I viewed taken with rigs like this are simply stunning..

I thought regular photography was expensive!!!..Astrophotography takes expensive to a new level!!!..

Bruce
12-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax not out of telescopes yet!

Sky & Telescope (Jan. 2009 pg. 81) has an ad for Borg made by Hutech corp. In the ad Borg says " objective lens cell is produced by Borg's new partner - Pentax Japan, which produces the highest grade optics in the industry".
They make f 3.9 & 5.1 astrographs. Made in Japan. Sounds like Pentax gets to make what they love - the optics and leave the mechanicals to
Borg!

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now!