Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PMA 2009 rumors on Pentax

As stated at PMA 2009 Preview Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

Pentax
Expect some big news from Pentax at PMA. Hoya, Pentax’s parent, issued a statement with its second quarter 2008 financial results that revealed some of the things to come from Pentax in 2009, including 3 new types of DSLR cameras.

Here’s a quote relevant portions of the statement: Next year, we are planning to launch some three types, including minor design change versions, of single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras. With a desire to offer cameras which will demonstrate our advantages, as announced in the Photokina held in Germany, we will relaunch ourselves next year as a manufacturer of all-weather cameras which are strong outdoors, highly water-resistnat, splash-proof, and dustproof, small and light, easily portable and tough (durable).

Anyone care to speculate?

01-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since they will make all weather sealed line up,
I guess one of them will be Weather Sealed Km/K2000.
01-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #3

"K-M sized" K300 with 14mp sensor.
01-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably more lower end bodies, nothing for the advanced user.

01-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Probably more lower end bodies, nothing for the advanced user.
For you I guess nothing Pentax will bring won't be "advanced" enough but all the signs point to a departure from the policy of incremental updates. I hope to see two new models with well above features and performance compared to the ones they replace. And yes, that includes a very "advanced" K20D succesor.

Radu
01-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
More white bodies in clear plastic bags?
01-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

How about a Red White and Blue body lineup, will appeal to USA, France, Britian and Australia!!

01-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
For you I guess nothing Pentax will bring won't be "advanced" enough but all the signs point to a departure from the policy of incremental updates. I hope to see two new models with well above features and performance compared to the ones they replace. And yes, that includes a very "advanced" K20D succesor.

Radu
I've mentioned in several previous threads what I think is advanced enough.
I'm just pessimistic about seeing it.
01-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think we'll see at least 2 models of weather sealed Point & Shoot cameras in colorful colors to complete with Olympus' highly popular weather-sealed P&S models. Also, perhaps a K-m with weather seals.

I'm still hanging on to my K10D until a worthy replacement comes out. Mainly seeking low-noise high-ISO model.
01-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
racinsince55

I've got a buddy whose sister knows a guy who's related by marriage to the third cousin of a salesman who works for a marketing firm who, in 1955, represented the printer in Japan who did the labels for a major, un-named SLR maker and word has it that Pentax, yes Pentax, may have some new stuff @ PMA???

I think it's all hogwash since the guy at Wolf Camera told me that Pentax and Hoya are going out of business!
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If Pentax goes out of business, I will buy Olympus and hope they don't go under either. :P
01-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
I've got a buddy whose sister knows a guy who's related by marriage to the third cousin of a salesman who works for a marketing firm who, in 1955, represented the printer in Japan who did the labels for a major, un-named SLR maker and word has it that Pentax, yes Pentax, may have some new stuff @ PMA???

I think it's all hogwash since the guy at Wolf Camera told me that Pentax and Hoya are going out of business!
The guy at Wolf is confused. Wolf and Ritz are closing up most of their stores in NY state and its probably them thats going out.
01-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seriously, what can we expect?
There will be no FF in 2009, this is clear.
So, what can come?

- better S/N
- better AF
- better life-view
(with contrast AF)
- faster buffer etc.
- more software options
(e.g. define shutter speed for Auto-ISO jump, as in Nikons)

What I don't care about:

- Video
- mudproof 10m
(there's the rumor that Pentax will try to become the "outdoor" brand. Well, I am not so sure if the majority of users needs this. Normal rainproof ok, but beyond that?)
- other gimmicks like GPS etc.

Pentax,
I think there is a market for a very high ISO, 6MP full frame camera.
Think about it ...
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
How can a poorly paid salesman at Wolf (or Ritz) know what is going on at Pentax/Hoya in Japan? Your guy at Wolf is full of s***.
01-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm waiting for a shiny yellow K-m with "PENTAXI" written over it.