Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax to launch medium format digital camera, but only sell it in Japan?

Sorry if this has already been posted.

PMA: Pentax revives medium format digital camera plan news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

03-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Huh? So Pentax is going to show this later this month and a possible replacement for the K20D in the summer? We go from no DSLR developments to two possible ones in the span of 6 months? Anyone else get whiplash here?
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #3

So it wasn't displayed in PMA 'cause it's only a Japan related affair, and hopefully it will have a lot of buzz.

After Rollei/Sinar/Hy6 bankrupt they'll have some market share, i think :ugh:
03-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I quote form the article: "It will not be marketed in the United States because Pentax predicted it would only sell 200 units there".

Very wise behavior. I would ignore a "200 units only" continent too.

(My apologies to Canada)

03-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andreas Quote
(My apologies to Canada)
Hey, when you include Canada it would be 220 units - that's go to be worth something!

It amuses me that the US is the world's "economic superpower", yet it's consumers are so stingy that the manufacturers treat it like a third-world country. It is a puzzlement...
03-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I wonder what sales figures they expect for Japan?
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
cyg

Yes!

The 645d is coming!

Right after the DA* 60-250 starts shipping...

03-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Forum Member

I will eat my shorts if Pentax ever makes a functional 645D, much less ships it.
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

645D is likely a $20,000 camera, $25,000 Loonies, 2 Million Yen

OK big spenders who reside in USA or Canada, Will you pay $20,000 US Dollars for a 645D? If they build it in Japan at least they won't have to ship it elsewhere. Now I'm wondering if they have the facilities to manufacture dslr cameras in Japan?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
Hey, when you include Canada it would be 220 units - that's go to be worth something!

It amuses me that the US is the world's "economic superpower", yet it's consumers are so stingy that the manufacturers treat it like a third-world country. It is a puzzlement...
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote

Give it a couple years...they finally gave us the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru WRX/STI and look what happened...

Not to mention the Nissan GT-R, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, all the VW R-models, etc...

Japan is Pentax's home market...they are going to concentrate on that. Plus...who really knows what Hoya is really gonna do?
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just read this same article a few minutes ago.

This echos exactly what I have been saying for the last 6-12 months...the 645D will be a limited edition, niche market camera, and most likely very VERY expensive.

I guess all the fanboys out there can feel like they have something in their chosen corner,. but in the real world, it's not much news to me.

Jason
03-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems Japan often gets stuff that the US doesn't. They actually sell a lot of medium format film rangefinders over there, apparently.

It's a bit of a stereotype, but Japan really outclasses us for sheer photogeekery. Maybe to the point of not giving us enough credit, but, hey, overseas folks always kind of complain that we get better deals here in America. The downside of that is it comes from *volume,* ...whereas for a camera that costs like a Prius, the import duties and such probably would just make em that much more expensive.

Cool to see, though. There we go.
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This makes Pentax better than Canon and Nikon and Sony since we have digital MF and they "only" have 24x36mm sensors, right? Right? We'll have a higher pro model than pretty much everyone, especially now that Rollei and Co. have gone under.

"All ur pro photogs are belong to us!"

Surely our cameras are better because of that
03-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I just read this same article a few minutes ago.

This echos exactly what I have been saying for the last 6-12 months...the 645D will be a limited edition, niche market camera, and most likely very VERY expensive.

I guess all the fanboys out there can feel like they have something in their chosen corner,. but in the real world, it's not much news to me.

Jason

If true, I see it as the start of a platform. Prices will come down; new version with new sensors will come. Remember the price of the first DSLR's?
03-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
So it wasn't displayed in PMA 'cause it's only a Japan related affair, and hopefully it will have a lot of buzz.

After Rollei/Sinar/Hy6 bankrupt they'll have some market share, i think :ugh:
HOYA.."Big fish in a little pond" . Just the way they like it.