Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
new K-7 firmware v1.02.00.16

Seen on dpreview:
New K7 firmware!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

New minor firmware upgrade on Pentax Japan's site. No word on what it fixes. People have installed it without breaking anything (or seeing anything different).

12-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posted already
12-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I'm lurking everywhere...
12-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I found one change. Before upgrade, the vertical shading and horisontal shading in "Shading Type" in "Custom Filter" in "Digital Filters" were mixed up.

12-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #5

fine sharpness 2 ????

I just installed this firmware coming from v1.0,

question: why are fine sharpness and fine sharpness 2 cursors "moved" simultanously..? shouldn't the fine sharpness and fine sharpness 2 controls be independent of each other ?
Haven't found a technical explanation what both controls modify.

I thank you in advance for kind reply.
12-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcurl Quote
I just installed this firmware coming from v1.0,

question: why are fine sharpness and fine sharpness 2 cursors "moved" simultanously..? shouldn't the fine sharpness and fine sharpness 2 controls be independent of each other ?
Haven't found a technical explanation what both controls modify.

I thank you in advance for kind reply.
The Sharpness slider adjusts the contrast at the edge of highlights in the image. It's particularly noticeable on pictures with a lot of detail, like a close-up of tree bark or a coarse material. The higher the "Sharpness" slider, the more each strand of material stands out, but then the highlights can sometimes get exaggerated over the shadows, which may or may not look very good. I believe this is a post-processing option that affects JPEG output, not RAW. Although I think the RAW file keeps the sharpness setting stored in the EXIF data for when you convert it to other formats.

By default, this slider will affect a specific number of pixels on both the dark side and the highlight side of the separation. Fine sharpness reduces the number of pixels that this setting affects, so that the sharpening looks "finer" and less blatant. Fine Sharpness 2 reduces the number of pixels being affected even more than Fine Sharpness.

Here's a crude example:

The following are 100% crops of pictures I took of a lens cloth on my desk. The camera was set to Manual, with shutter speed at 1/50, aperture at 7.1, iso at 400 and flash at -2 ev using my 18-55 WR kit lens at 18mm from about a foot away. "Custom Image" was set to "Bright". All other post-processing is turned off, including noise reduction. JPEG quality is set to max.

This one was taken with the sharpness slider at -4 and with Fine Sharpness disabled:

It looks kinda blurry, especially considering this was taken from a foot away.

This one was taken with the sharpness slider at +4 with Fine Sharpness disabled:

It's much sharper, but the highlights are excessive. The cloth looks like it has more grain than it should. Also, the sharpness processing has highlighted the noise as much as the grain, so the noise is a lot more visible than it was in the first picture.

This one was taken with the sharpness slider at +4 with Fine Sharpness enabled:

Here the highlights appear to have been blurred out to allow more of the blue to show through. In the middle of the picture, the cloth shows less noise. However on the speaker cone behind the cloth, the noise is even worse than the last 2 pictures.

This one was taken with the sharpness slider at +4 with Fine Sharpness 2 enabled:

The highlights are sharp, but still allowing the blue to show through properly. There's a lot of detail to the grain here. There's some noise on the cloth in the middle of the picture, but only where there were more visible highlights to begin with. However the noise on the speaker cone is worse than ever, and now it looks more washed-out because of all the random highlights that got "sharpened".
12-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #7

Live View not focusing

I hardly use the live view option, but thought I'd play around with it a bit, after updating to 1.02 it doesn't want to focus when you use live view. Click it back to viewing thru the eye piece & it focuses fine. Anyone else have this issue?

12-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bser83 Quote
I hardly use the live view option, but thought I'd play around with it a bit, after updating to 1.02 it doesn't want to focus when you use live view. Click it back to viewing thru the eye piece & it focuses fine. Anyone else have this issue?
In live view, focusing is done by pressing and holding the "AF" button on the back of the camera, not by half-pressing the shutter button. Just hold that "AF" button until the focus indicator lights up. Depending on which focusing mode you're using, focusing in live view can be ridiculously slow.

This is how my K7 has always done focusing in live view since I bought it.
12-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bser83 Quote
Please do yourself a favor and read the K-7 operating manual first.
Operation of Live View is stated very clearly in page 156 of the operating manual.
12-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #10

Thank you GoremanX And my apologizes creampuff, I just got the K-7 for Christmas & haven't had a chance to read the manual yet. Thanks for the page number though I'll be sure to read all about it.
12-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Please do yourself a favor and read the K-7 operating manual first.
Operation of Live View is stated very clearly in page 156 of the operating manual.

Give the guy a break, probably half of the questions asked on this forum could be answered by the manual. It is/was Christmas after all
12-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Give the guy a break, probably half of the questions asked on this forum could be answered by the manual. It is/was Christmas after all
Very true!

Having said that, the first thing I did when I got my K7 was read through the manual thoroughly. After all, I had 6.5 hours to waste while the battery charged.

(6.5 HOURS!!! WTF is up with that?!? Aren't we almost in 2010?!? Aren't the days of "overnight charging" finished yet?!?)
12-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote

(6.5 HOURS!!! WTF is up with that?!? Aren't we almost in 2010?!? Aren't the days of "overnight charging" finished yet?!?)
This is very true and even now, it takes along time to charge.
12-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

On the other hand, the battery life is really pretty remarkable...
12-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
On the other hand, the battery life is really pretty remarkable...
This is very true. With the Grip, it can go an easy 12 gigs or so.