Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #331
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
Welcome in my world... You just took the red pill and woke up in the real world.
Now, imagine that D700 is even better in difficult conditions than 5d markII... You understand why I dream of a FF camera for months now.

What SHOCKED me was low light performance, not talking AF but in terms of image quality.

My mate shot me under REALLY crappy diffused fluro lighting at a high ISO with the basic canon 50mm 1.8.

07-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #332

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
What SHOCKED me was low light performance, not talking AF but in terms of image quality.

My mate shot me under REALLY crappy diffused fluro lighting at a high ISO with the basic canon 50mm 1.8.
Right, ISO performances are incredible, but dynamic range is also unbelievable!
I participate to another (french) forum, there a guy ("ptitdoux") posted pictures from it's D700 with sun/bright sky in front of him. He is showing the original picture 1st and then what he get using RAW file. Passer ā la gamme pro chez Canon : 7d ou 5dmk2 ? - Appareils Photo et Caméscopes - FORUM Le Grand Forum
and also here, the color version of the recovered wall: Passer ā la gamme pro chez Canon : 7d ou 5dmk2 ? - Appareils Photo et Caméscopes - FORUM Le Grand Forum

And here he showed how he can recover until 3EV of overexposure, and also how he can recover dark areas (until 1600 isos, then it becomes too noisy): Passer ā la gamme pro chez Canon : 7d ou 5dmk2 ? - Appareils Photo et Caméscopes - FORUM Le Grand Forum
Very impressive!
07-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #333
Inactive Account

"I must say that I take my negative views on the 5D Mk2. After hanging out with another photographer last night who shoots with one I was utterly shocked by how good the images are on it especially under TERRIBLE lighting conditions what shocked me even more was the difference of FF with a 50mm lens. We looked at the same lens, same angle, etc using a 7D and a 5D the cropping was night and day.

Also I reverse my views that APS-C is good enough, well yes it is but I must admit FF is so much better, I have seen the light. BRING ON A FF camera.
"

This is the main point of my urge to push for FF. The other is the FF viewfinder and its massive benefits

It is said that the big benefit of FF images is the shallow depth of field that can be achieved. To me this is WAY too simplistic. The degrees of difference of in focus areas to gradually more and more out of focus (and available bokeh benefits) are accentuated and "layered" so much better on FF. You get a staggering improvement of this characteristic.

What this provides is a depth that is vastly better than APS-C. A presence is achievable that you have a lot of difficulty even approaching with even the best small sensors.

This also allows the color rendition of the lens to be used as the lens is designed

My 31 and 77 Limiteds are SCREAMING OUT for FF

Combine this with the not so small benefits of a FF viewfinder and the photo process is improved MANY times over - potential is quadrupled and quadrupled again (not so scientific hype)

FF NOW! If it does not come by mid year 2011 I have to regretfully depart Pentax to a system that can provide that sort of photography
07-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #334
Veteran Member

As I said, I never quite appreciated the benefits until this.

07-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #335

Hi.
Dont know if you get this (rumors about K5 and or K7 super). Dont know the real source of the info. Cheers.

K7 Super – a. Upgraded AF sensor 2. manual video with 720p60. 3. Same 14mp sensor with major improvements for noise and banding.
2. K5 – Will be model between k-x & k-7. K-x with focus points, top lcd, will replace k-x next year. K-x was a “testing the waters” model it was rushed and suprised everyone for good reason!
3. Pro Model this has finally been pushed towards productions thankyou to early success of 645D. I am salivating at this model.

a. Pentax have really listened to feedback and made big changes, DFS can go bye bye for real.

b. body is based on the K7 but slightly larger

c. intended to compete with nikon d300s

d. aimed at sports and action photographers, AF algorithms have been optimized for high speed and action (canon helped here alot). Pentax have had their 2 prototypes at the world cup this year.

e. x-sync 1/250 but possibly up to 1/500 if electronic shutter is properly debugged.

f. No AF motor for screwdrive

g. pentax testing with 2 sensors one from canon the other from sony, both are 18mp decision is resting on final costs of production, if use canon sensor video performance same as EOS7D.

g. no inbody stabilization (big shock!) but is it a coincidence sigma is releasing so many OIS lenses for pentax? h. new range of Pro* pentax zoom lenses basically DA* + OIS they will be black with red look very sexy and standout. h. single SDHC slot but optional battery grip will give second SDHC slow, pentax firmly against sdxc.”
07-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
As I said, I never quite appreciated the benefits until this.

What benefit? The limited DOF is a problem something the image posted illustrate perfectly; unless theres something wrong with my monitor or the image processing. The only thing in focus is part of the persons jacket. No part of the face is within DOF. No professional portrait photographer would have released something like this to his customers.
07-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #337
Veteran Member

That´s an old speculation

07-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
Hi.
Dont know if you get this (rumors about K5 and or K7 super). Dont know the real source of the info. Cheers.
We do. It is completely made up and a fraud.
07-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #339
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
What benefit? The limited DOF is a problem something the image posted illustrate perfectly; unless theres something wrong with my monitor or the image processing. The only thing in focus is part of the persons jacket. No part of the face is within DOF. No professional portrait photographer would have released something like this to his customers.
At least it looks nice at web sizes.
07-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
At least it looks nice at web sizes.
As long as you don't look to close. In another thread, someone commented that most professionals try to keep their aperture above 4 to maximize depth of field. It also shows that focus systems are easily fooled, even on upper end cameras. Too bad they didn't put face/smile recognition on the 5D -- probably saving it for the MKIII.
07-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #341
Veteran Member

That shot was taken at 1.8 under very low light and was intentionally softened for effect.
07-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #342
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to be clear, it was intentional that your face was softened and the center of your chest was left sharp?
07-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #343
Veteran Member

I can nail focus perfectly using a 1.2 lens on a FF camera. it's not an impossible thing to do for people. shooting at f2 and lower doesn't guarantee a person not to misfocus. the thing is, how can you call a person a professional if he/she can't even use a lens effectively at their widest openings? such fast lenses and 35mm slr cameras were not created in the first place if no one can even use them for what they could do.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-11-2010 at 01:30 AM.
07-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #344
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Just to be clear, it was intentional that your face was softened and the center of your chest was left sharp?
it looked liked it was softened on purpose. it's the only part in the image that is soft.
07-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #345
Veteran Member

This discussion about APS-C VS FF reminds me what happened when Leica launched their 35 mm camera back in the '30's. Then, 18x24 cm till 9x12 cm was the professional norm and 6x9 till 6x6 was for amateurs and 35 mm was a toy.
About half a century later 6x6 was for pro's and 35 mm was, sometimes, to good for amateurs…
Now as things are going faster, what's next?