Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Point and Shoot Contest #3 results

The results are finally in! Pardon for the awful delay, but work has been keeping me very very busy (I've not even gotten a chance to shoot a roll of film for the past 4 weeks)

After having a hard time deciding which is which, I have decided that the winning picture is:

by bbpa103.

I find the picture staggering, honestly. Sunset, on a river, paddling along... simply epic! I envy you a lot for having the chance of taking that picture.

As promised, the runner-ups are as follows:

I couldn't decide which of them are 2nd and 3rd place, because I just love them both:

by mummy

Lovely girl friend, expressive, and great pose. The image is also soft, which I quite like.

by woof

I'm a sucker for both macro and b/w shots, and you've included both in this picture. The noise adds a lot, IMO. It gives the image a very film-like quality.

Other notable achievements include, in no particular order:

by LaRee

Very captivating macro. Just wondering if the dew drops were moving or stationary.

by property#1

Beautiful landscape. Something I could never see in my country. A circular polarising filter would have made this image a winner.

by LaRee again

All I can say is that I wish I was there with my girlfriend. Quite romantic, this shot.

by mummy

Lovely colours and subject, but the bokeh seems a bit... awkward to me. (camera's fault)

by serindipity

I enjoy architecture. The older the better. And Scotland is one of the best places to do this kind of photography.

by Fl_Gulfer

Bird shot. With a Point&shoot. Not something you see everyday, I'll tell you that.

by barondla

Not a big fan of 16:9, but this is almost studio-quality photography.
They look like white lilies. Are those things even real? I've never seen any like that in my life.

by jgredline

Daniel likes your XPS and MyBook quite a lot, I take it. Keep an eye on him, in a couple of years his work might be featured in a gallery or two.

by wildherre

Lovely lighting, but your Pentax would have fared much much better in this case.

That's about it. Thank you everybody for participating!

bbpa103, you are in charge of hosting and judging the next P&S contest, should you choose to do so.

I had to remove some smilies, because here is a 21 image limit...

03-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ftpaddict
good job!!!!and thanks for taking on this daunting task...
The winner is well deserving of this.
03-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Javier. It wasn't very daunting, but I did have a bit of a hard time choosing them, because the amount of high quality work was very... high.
03-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great stuff. Now I'm looking at my camera bag and wondering why i spent all that money!! This group has everything and all are well taken. Portraits, bird shots, flowers, landscapes, Wow great stuff everyone.
great job with the judging.

03-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #5

ftpaddict. Lots of really great shots to choose from. Thanks. The real question this summer is do I risk taking my K100D or do I stick with the P&S and my old K1000 for canoeing. I'll get the next thread started. I assume about three weeks is a good length of time - so about 2 Apr. Ken.
03-13-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bbpa103 Quote
ftpaddict. Lots of really great shots to choose from. Thanks. The real question this summer is do I risk taking my K100D or do I stick with the P&S and my old K1000 for canoeing. I'll get the next thread started. I assume about three weeks is a good length of time - so about 2 Apr. Ken.
Buy a Canon EOS XTi/400D with kit lens. That way you won't feel sorry if you drop it into the river accidentally.

Can't wait to participate in the next P&S contest. Although I doubt I'll even have a slight chance of winning, I already know what to enter with.

Congratulations again!
03-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Buy a Canon EOS XTi/400D with kit lens. That way you won't feel sorry if you drop it into the river accidentally.
Thanks for laugh, I needed it this morning

03-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Inactive Account

>> I'm a sucker for both macro and b/w shots, and you've included both in this picture. The noise
>> adds a lot, IMO. It gives the image a very film-like quality.

Thank you very much. Actually, I was going for that with this picture. I have always loved the grain structure of Tri-X, and while this is a little exaggerated, that was the idea behind "pushing" the exposure. It was an experiment, and is now something I can add to my bag of tricks.

Again, thanks very much for selecting this as a runner-up.

woof!
03-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bbpa103 Quote
I do a lot of Kayaking on Lake Champlain... that's where the picture of Colchester Point came from. The risk is not so much that you will drop the camera in the water. That assumes you are not using the strap. Which you should.

But even if you had a Nikkonos, and dropped it you would likely not be able to retrieve it. Well, maybe. But the real risk is the ever present danger of tipping. I am sure you know this, but I am just covering it so people think about it a little...

I use a (very) large size zip lock bag. The more air in the bag the better. I actually use one of those very large zip locks that you see for stowing sweaters and stuff. I put my (small) camera bag in it and and studiously zip it up even when the camera is out. I actually double the bags up... but that's me.

No accidents yet, but I have much greater peace of mind. When I see a bad situation coming I usually have time to stow the camera. The one thing I do is try to actually keep as much air as possible in the bag on the theory that it might float if I need it to.
03-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great contest. Congrats to the winners. The contest just keeps getting better.
The white flowers are Tulips. They are real - real dead now. Don't last long. No studio just available light and a tripod indoors.
thanks
barondla
03-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #11

Congrats to the winner, thats a very impressive photo.

Thanks ftpaddict for your compliment

Linh
03-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #12

Linh/Woof. Thanks for the comments. I'm quadruple+ redundancy for waterproof/ layering. I usually have my K1000 and lens wrapped in multiple zip lock bags and that inside a Seal Line Baja 5HD bag. The P&S Coolpix and Samsung I'm less worried about so was quite pleased with this one. Of course always wondering......... "I wonder how that shot would have turned out with the SLR?"