Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Point & Shoot Contest #6: Childhood

Welcome to the Point & Shoot Contest #6. Have fun posting your pictures taken with fixed-lens cameras. Show the world that it's not the technology but the person behind the lens that matters!

The theme for this week is Childhood -- how you interpret this is up to you. It could be a picture of a child or an adult acting less than grown-up. But a poignant reflection on memory and growing is what I'd love to see. A lost marble, a favourite Christmas, a birthday cake... who knows? Be creative!

Here are the rules:

1. Any non-SLR camera can be used. Any brand. Film or digital.
2. Maximum image dimensions are 800x800 pixels.
3. Post-processing is fine, at your discretion.
4. Limit of 2 photos per person.
5. Please list the camera brand and model, plus location and any other info of interest.
6. The judge will award 1st, 2nd, 3rd prizes. Honour and fame be yours!
7. The winner of this contest will set up and judge the next one.
8. Entries close at midnight Sunday 11 May 2008 GMT. You've got three weeks.

Previous Themes:
1. none 2. none 3. Beauty 4. Green 5. Architecture

And, as customary, I post a pic to kick off proceedings. I found this lost meccano toy in our new house, remnants of a lost childhood.

Good luck!

EDIT: OK, bad example. That photo was taken with my K100D.

Last edited by rparmar; 04-20-2008 at 04:21 PM.
04-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bumping this and hoping people take an interest in their childhood... or other people's!
04-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#6 Childhood

Taken on my patio.

Last edited by Ahab; 08-31-2009 at 09:25 AM.
04-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An entry... yaaay!

04-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

What does the lion say?

I think this is evocative of the subject. Taken with a 2.0 mp Nikon Coolpix. My first digital.

Last edited by woof; 04-26-2008 at 05:17 AM.
04-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one taken with my Canon Powershot S60.

Last edited by xs400; 05-30-2008 at 08:44 AM.
04-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Entry for "childhood".
Makes me remember school snow days and practice. Found this in the woods!
Panasonic LX2.
thanks
barondla

Attached Images

04-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
Igilligan

The Cardboard Box

I remember playing for days in an old refridgerator box as a child.... My daughter found a dewalt box just as fun...

Shot with a fuji s6000

04-27-2008, 01:48 AM   #9
Igilligan

Thru the eyes of a child

fuji S6000 taken at mcd's
05-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My youngest son in a box in our livingroom. You know how kids love boxes! This is from Sept 2005 taken with my Panasonic fz30. I didn't see any time-frame requirements, so this is my submission.
05-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A reminder that the contest closes this Sunday. I am sure there are lots more childhood photos out there!
05-17-2008, 02:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Doh! I forgot to judge this contest! Will do so today.

And only seven entries... it doesn't seem like there's been much point'n'shoot interest lately.
05-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Winner!

Here's my take on the entries. As usual I try to be at least a little critical. Understand that all opinions are subjective and I am far from a photography expert.

Ahab: Taken one day after the challenge was posed, this deserves props for enthusiasm. A pair of girl's shoes are placed on what looks like a record album of "Sidewalk Games". This immediately reminds me of hopscotch -- so I have to say full marks for the implementation. Maybe it would be better to have the text facing the viewer?

Woof: Nothing is simpler for the theme of childhood than taking a picture of a child, but this one has totally captivating eyes and expression. The tonality is good except for the blown out right border.

xs400 gives us a stack of games, similar to those piled up in many a closet, I imagine. I must say I have not heard of Candy Land. I wonder how this subject could have been made more engaging or elicited more of an emotion?

barondla gives us a basketball in the snow, an object -- incredibly -- just chanced upon in the woods! Snow can be very difficult to capture but the texture of the thin layer on top of the ball gets across the feeling perfectly.

Igilligan: Why is it that adult feet are so ugly but children's feet are so darned cute? These obviously belong to someone who is having good fun. I can't really criticise this entry technically -- it has quite a lot of detail.

Igilligan: I almost forgot you could submit two entries until Igilligan did -- I am glad for the special effort. This child is obviously having great fun making googly eyes through some prismatic glass. We can only imagine what she sees! This is a good snapshot but I prefer the composition of the previous entry.

LaRee gives us another box and another pair of astounding eyes. If only we could see with the eyes of these children -- how different would the world be? The "Technical Packaging Components" lettering unfortunately distracts me a lot from the face.

You would think that things would be easy for a judge with only seven entries. But how am I supposed to tell someone their child's picture was not good enough? I can honestly say I loved seeing all the entries and was disappointed not to get more. There is a lot one can do with point'n'shoot cameras despite the one serious flaw: lack of control over depth of field. I really hope that people get out there and support future contests.

I had to go back to my original theme description to pick a winner. "A poignant reflection on memory and growing is what I'd love to see" and so I can only say that barondla is our winner. No children in the frame but instead the ever-present trace of children, which I hope none of us forget how to see.
05-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
"A poignant reflection on memory and growing is what I'd love to see" and so I can only say that barondla is our winner. No children in the frame but instead the ever-present trace of children, which I hope none of us forget how to see.
I agree. Nice work barondla. Great story. Congrats!

woof!
05-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone. A tough contest for me. Don't have kids to photograph. Not a people photographer. Found my subject by accident looking for nature shots. Almost didn't think to enter the shot. Thanks rparmar for picking my shot as the winner.
I love woof's shot of the little girl. Wow. What a look. The eyes are incredible. Beautiful in B&W. Could look at the picture all day long.
Really like LaRees's shot of son. Also incredible eyes. So blue and pure. Would love to pose him with woof's model.
The graphic nature of Igilligans shot (feet) is dramatic. Really grabs your attention. Nothing to distract. Great composition.
The enties in this contest set a high quality level. Shows what can be done with a P&S camera. Glad I didn't have to pick.
Will start next contest soon.
thanks again
barondla