Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ideal backup Point and Shoot?

I apologize if this bugs anyone, I know there is the extensive "what is your b/u" thread.....

I am now in the market for one, since my k10 is en route to the service center, and I was caught naked without a backup.

My limits? I don't really have any, per se. Just a few guidelines, really.

1-Lower the cost, the happier I am. I did just buy my wife an Olympus 850, which is nice, but I can't justify a 2nd one for me, since when I travel, I'm not getting into the pool with the kids. I was thinking between $100-150, give or take a few.

2-Ideally, this camera would use SD/SDHC. Since it would be the backup to my k10d, I have plenty of those cards. So there's some logic to that.

3-The local shop demo'd a newer Olympus (1020, i think) which had nice continuous drive, at what appeared to be close to full res if not full res. Which was nice, and a nice to have feature, but that alone won't make me spring for a $300+ backup. (Once I hit $300, I am looking at backup dSLR bodies).

Admittedly, I am not married to a specific brand at this point. Just trying to figure out the most bang for my buck, and wondering if that doesn't push me to a Nikon CoolPix like this one :
COOLPIX L18 from Nikon

This is the wonderful challenge of picking a backup....I can't justify spending oodles....but i do need one, as I painfully was reminded of last week (and almost broke down and bought something from ritz...)

07-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A Canon Rebel.
07-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
define back up please

I have a P&S but I don't consider it as a back up, more an alternate, light weight option.

For back up to my K10D, I have in order, *istD, PZ-1, Ricoh XR-2s and KX.

The P&S has a different function, it is a compact one lens (with some attachments) camera.

I have a Kodak 7590, which has full manual, plus automatic modes, 5MP sensor and a fast F3.2 38-380 (mm equivelent on 35mm) lens.

It is a work/business travel camera, when used with a .45x wide angle adaptor and close up lenses.

I wish pentax made a similar camera with electronic view finder, and ideally a 24-150mm equivelent lens, but they don't. I looked in 2005 at all the options and this was the best I found.
07-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lowell, I do agree with your viewpoint that it's not so much a backup as an alternate, but I guess when compared to some folks, my alternate is the backup---I travel a lot, and photography (as if you couldn't guess isn't how I make a living. So, while it would be a bummer to be without the dSLR, I also don't have that need to make sure I travel with a spare body.

As was said elsewhere in another thread, a photo by a P&S is better than none at all.

So when I am considering it as a backup, to me its something with a tiny footprint which can step in should my k10d go down (again), so that I am not totally without images from a trip.
I managed last week because it was only DC, and I can and will be back plenty of times. I can't say that Ill be to Zagreb or Moscow a lot after my business trips, so not having any camera would kill me.

The camera guy at the local shop was trying to get me on (i think) an Olympus 1020. Then when I said "lower price", he offered up a gently used Olympus 770 (I believe). The 1020 was nice, but too expensive. The 770 wasn't bad, but looked more than a little used, plus it's over a year old. For a bit more, I could get a recently released CoolPix, which seems to meet my needs.

Brand-wise, I think I am down to Nikon, Olympus and Pentax. Honestly leaning toward Nikon, because it would use SD, and seems to be a bit better (and more affordable) than the Oly or Pentax offerings. The only drawback with the CoolPix line is no rechargable batteries, but that might not always be seen as a negative.

Really think I am narrowing things down to that one CoolPix I sent a link for.

If it was a trip-of-a-lifetime type thing (ie, safari or a return to Tahiti) then a second dSLR body would be on the list, if only as a rental. But now, I can be happy with the alternative

07-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
though, now I am wondering what would be better among these:

Nikon CoolPix L18--bad: AA batteries. Good: f/2.8, never tried a nikon, uses SD/SDHC

Pentax Optio M50--Bad:No IS--looks like i just missed it. Good: Nice zoom,uses SD/SDHC

Olympus Stylus 830--Bad:Uses xD.Good: nice zoom,IS

The coolpix at 120 is the easiest option. The other two at 180 seem worth considering tho

Last edited by jmdeegan; 07-18-2008 at 11:45 AM.
07-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
Lowell, I do agree with your viewpoint that it's not so much a backup as an alternate, but I guess when compared to some folks, my alternate is the backup---I travel a lot, and photography (as if you couldn't guess isn't how I make a living. So, while it would be a bummer to be without the dSLR, I also don't have that need to make sure I travel with a spare body.

As was said elsewhere in another thread, a photo by a P&S is better than none at all.

So when I am considering it as a backup, to me its something with a tiny footprint which can step in should my k10d go down (again), so that I am not totally without images from a trip.
I managed last week because it was only DC, and I can and will be back plenty of times. I can't say that Ill be to Zagreb or Moscow a lot after my business trips, so not having any camera would kill me.

The camera guy at the local shop was trying to get me on (i think) an Olympus 1020. Then when I said "lower price", he offered up a gently used Olympus 770 (I believe). The 1020 was nice, but too expensive. The 770 wasn't bad, but looked more than a little used, plus it's over a year old. For a bit more, I could get a recently released CoolPix, which seems to meet my needs.

Brand-wise, I think I am down to Nikon, Olympus and Pentax. Honestly leaning toward Nikon, because it would use SD, and seems to be a bit better (and more affordable) than the Oly or Pentax offerings. The only drawback with the CoolPix line is no rechargable batteries, but that might not always be seen as a negative.

Really think I am narrowing things down to that one CoolPix I sent a link for.

If it was a trip-of-a-lifetime type thing (ie, safari or a return to Tahiti) then a second dSLR body would be on the list, if only as a rental. But now, I can be happy with the alternative

Don't get me wrong here, I travel for buisness frequently, (between 30 and 45 weeks per year) and I never go anywhere without my little kodak. Even if I was willing to carry the additional weight of my real camera kit, which I am not, I would not want to subject it to what I do with my P&S. I simply have too much invested in it to chance loosing it, damaging it or what ever. a nice P&S is the perfect solution, but go for one with lots of control options, My Kodak is really a compact electronic version of a DSLR
07-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounds like I've got a lot more research in front of me LOL

The challenge for me is, theoretically I have 2 backups (just, they are my wife's, and she never travels with me). For a family trip, like our summer vacation, I am covered-we will have her canon, the new olympus (which I really dig), and with any luck, the k10d back from denver.

The menus and lazy features are neat...except...I don't want to get lazy whenever I use the p&s.

I am starting to like the Optio M50 though, but it sounds like the opinions on this board have most steering clear of Pentax p&s as there are better options for the same or less money.

This may prove to be harder than deciding on my dslr....

07-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

After doing some PPing of my vacation pics from May, one thing I've definitely come to a conclusion on, at least for myself, is that if I'm going to get a backup P&S, it needs to be able to shoot in RAW format. There were several that were too dark that I was able to save because I had shot them in RAW; if I had shot them in JPG format, whether or not I could've saved them would've been a toss-up.

Several that have been mentioned around here lately include:
Canon G9--if you want to save some money and don't need 12MP, take a look at any other model in the G series other than the G7 (for some reason, Canon opted to leave RAW out of the G7).
Fuji E-900-the only downer on this one is that it takes XD cards
Panasonic LX2/Leica D-Lux 3--if I had to buy one today, I would most likely get the Panasonic. It's also smaller and cheaper than the G9, which is a plus for me.

Heather
07-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a fair point to consider...though, some of my nicer recent ones were accidentally shot in jpg. so as of now, I wouldn't call it a deal killer for me-after all, I have only been able to shoot RAW for 8 months.

PLus, all those suggested are very nice, and over what I was hoping to spend. Honestly, in my mind once I break $300, I start debating a 2nd dslr body (even though it violates the one part of my mission-a small alternate).

I don't know why, but I keep being mentally drawn back to the Olympus, maybe because the 850 is the last p&s I have hands on experience with....but i thought it was a nice interface, plenty of modes, and while it does use xD, I can adjust, and it will take micro SD (which usually come with adapters, which means the micro SD could be used in my k10d in a pinch)

decisions decisions...i swear, ending up with the k10 was easier
07-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Actually, if I decide not to go the route of the more expensive P&S with RAW, for the price I'd pay for a G9, I could pick up both a used 2nd body and an inexpensive P&S that the husband could use, as well. Having a second body could come in handy for those times where I want to use 2 lenses, but I don't want to keep switching out lenses, as well as being a backup to the K10.

I'm going to wait until Photokina to see what Pentax has up their sleeve. If they introduce a smaller, more basic body, then I may very well go that route and pick up something like the very basic, very inexpensive Canon A470, as it's basic enough that my husband can use it, too, plus it uses AA batteries.

Steves Digicams - Canon Powershot A470 - Hands on Review

This is almost as bad as deciding on which lenses to buy.
I may have to put up a poll when I'm about ready to buy and get the opinions of the collective wisdom around here.

Heather
07-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No one said you can have only one P&S! PSBA! Already have the Pana, Olympus 4040 (love that 1.8 lens), and Olympus Stylus 700. Will most likely add a Pentax W60. The Z10 & M50 are nice also. Waiting to see what Pentax brings out at Photokina. Wish I had bought the 750z years ago.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Enter now.
07-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #12
Forum Member

Dont do the a470 its cheap for a reason, for about the same price you can pick up an used but like new optio a30, fuji f20, canon a570, and many more that will give you better performance and the a570 used 2 aa's and sd. For just a bit more (160-200 new) the fuji e900 uses 2aa's has raw, 32-128 zoom, manual controls, great iq - only thing it used xd cards. Others on the forum might have even better ideas.

All you need is a $20 1 gb xd card....
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=DF059990848130&br...&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Or 28mm wa lens, sd, manual control, aa's.....
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=DN05999099045M&br...&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Last edited by amicah22; 07-20-2008 at 12:34 AM.
07-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
heather-you make a good point about waiting till after photokina, but isn't that in late september?

if i saw the dates right, odds are ill have picked something by then.

i may just go with that low cost nikon to make sure i have something in the interim, and then see what comes out of the show, incase something appeals to me more. i will admit to liking the new oly i got for the wife, but not enough to buy a 2nd.
07-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I believe it's the last week in September, if I'm not mistaken.

In the meantime, I've done some more searching and I think I've discovered a possible solution that would allow me to have a P&S and a second body without breaking the bank. I've been looking at some of the old Nikon p&s models and it looks like I can pick up a Coolpix 5400, gently used, for less than $100 on Fleabay. Sure, it's only 5.1 mp, but from what I understand, I could get a decent 11x14 out of it, though. It takes CF cards, which I do have 1 of, and I can also get the SD to CF adapter that will allow me to use my SD cards with it. The problem I have with the e900 is that I can't find any XD cards over 2GBs and I would prefer to have at least a 4GB card, if I'm going to be shooting RAW.

Steves Digicams - Nikon Coolpix 5400 - User Review
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Digital Camera Sample Photos and Specifications

I'll still wait until after Photokina before deciding what I want to do about a second body. If I was going to get a second body today, it would most likely be the K100D Super, since it supports SDM. I don't have any SDM lenses yet, but I want to be prepared for that eventuality.

Heather
07-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The just-announced Panasonic LX-3 looks really interesting.

Panasonic reveals DMC-FZ28 megazoom, DMC-LX3 and DMC-FX37 - Engadget