Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Amazon - K30 Kit Deal
Posted By: black-kx, 11-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Amazon has Used-Very good to Like-New K-30 package with 18-135 lens from $745 - $762 with 30day return policy (ships by Amazon)

I watched them and it was around $900 for few weeks and just dropped to $762 for Like-New one... In my opinion it is a steal becasue lens is worth at least $350.

What do you guys think?
Views: 5,974
11-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you were to slow. Well, for the like new one. Grabbed it on my lunch break. Before I saw this thread. I had been watching a blue body only one for $470 and missed it. Figured the black one with the 18-135 was worth it like you said. I was going crazy between k-30 and the k-5 for the last 2 days and that price pushed me over. I will test it good the next week to see if anything is wrong with it.
11-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frooggy Quote
I think you were to slow. Well, for the like new one. Grabbed it on my lunch break. Before I saw this thread. I had been watching a blue body only one for $470 and missed it. Figured the black one with the 18-135 was worth it like you said. I was going crazy between k-30 and the k-5 for the last 2 days and that price pushed me over. I will test it good the next week to see if anything is wrong with it.
Hi, did you order it from Amazon Warehouse? how long did yours take for the shipping?
11-03-2012, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, through amazon warehouse. Its in prep stage as I type. Should be here by Tuesday at the latest.

11-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
Amazon had 2 of -"Like-New" -- I bought one as well before I posted it here... I figured that I can't go wrong to try and see it, plus Amazon has very good return policy (and 30 days is plenty)

I have placed an order couple weeks ago for $900 and then canceled it before it shipped (thought it was not worth to upgrade and that I wouldn't see too much difference from it between my K-x) and I'm glad I did cancel.

This price of $762 also pushed me to order it again. I was debating between K-5 and K-30 as well.

Mine shows as already shipped and will be delivered on 11/07/12.

Last edited by black-kx; 11-03-2012 at 08:49 PM.
11-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by black-kx Quote
Amazon had 2 of -"Like-New" -- I bought one as well before I posted it here... I figured that I can't go wrong to try and see it, plus Amazon has very good return policy (and 30 days is plenty)

I have placed an order couple weeks ago for $900 and then canceled it before it shipped (thought that I wouldn't see too much difference from it between my K-x) and I'm glad I did cancel.

This price of $762 also pushed me to order it. I was debating between K-5 and K-30 as well. Mine shows as already shipped and will be delivered on 11/07/12.
As far as what I have seen, they posed at least 5, other than 2 , and the price is now $745.79 ~ very attractive!
11-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, there are some that are rated very good right now. There was only 2 "like new". Not sure of their rating system so I went the extra $40 for the like news. But I have gotten some "very good" other things from them and they were "like new" to me.

11-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks! I didn't realize the difference b/w "like new" and "very good". Now I got it.

and both of them are eligible for 30 days return policy. that's enough, isn't it?
11-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. I imagine "very good" might just have a scratch or something. Put it through its paces and check it out good.
11-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Forum Member

I saw the same deal on Amazon, and ordered one after calling Amazon Customer Service to reassure myself that the included lens was really the 18-135mm at that price. I see today they still have several more offered at $745.79! The Amazon Warehouse Deals price on the kit with the standard 18-55mm lens was not much less. Seems like a fantastic deal, but i wonder why they have so many of these in Warehouse Deals? I figure that if it's not right when I get it, I can return it within the 30-day grace period.

My only concern now is warranty. Technically, the products sold by Amazon Warehouse Deals are used, so I would not get the original sales slip. My Amazon receipt says, "Condition: Used - Very Good". I plan to phone Pentax Customer Service and ask if they consider the original 1 yr. warranty applies to this product since it is being sold by the same original seller (I presume), or if they would not extend a warranty to this product. Amazon offers a 1 yr. Square Trade warranty on "Opened Box Goods" for sale, but I have read that other buyers have had issues with Square Trade over whether the "Used" item was covered under the original manufacturer warranty or their warranty. The Square Trade warranty is not supposed to start until any manufacturer's warranty expires. If there is no original manufacturer's warranty, then the Square Trade warranty starts on day 31 after delivery, since you can return the item for the 1st 30 days. Additionally, your credit card extended warranty will not work unless there is an original manufacturer's warranty. It would be nice to get a written opinion from Pentax USA on this. IMHO, the great price makes hassling with all this BS worthwhile! Anybody have experience of wisdom on this subject?
11-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Forum Member

Pentax Open Box Warranty

I thought I would post an update to my previous post after talking to Pentax Customer Service. I asked if the "Open Box" or "Used" Pentax cameras/lenses offered on such sites as Amazon's Warehouse Deals would be covered under the original manufacturer's or importer's warranty. The support person I spoke with was very helpful and put me on hold while he talked to corporate. The answer is NO. Only new Pentax equipment is covered under warranty in the US, and only the original buyer is covered. He said that when you send your equipment in for warranty service, they use the buyer's invoice to determine the date of purchase, and if the invoice is from a Pentax dealer and it does not say anything about used or open box, you likely would be covered. So, make sure it's a great deal... which I think the current offers for the K-30 with 18-135mm WR lens are! At least you get 30 days to make sure it works, and nearly a $300 savings to pay for repairs if you need it. Another option would be to buy an after-market warranty at Amazon.
11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Forum Member

I wish I have seen this earlier...
11-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holy cow. They were low all day yesterday (and past week) and now all the used bodies are gone almost?
11-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #14

Original Poster
an update on my K-30 kit w/18-135mm

I received it today, didn't get to open it until evening so not much time playing wiht it. I do like it and it is a great iprovement over my K-x. (and the shutter sound is much quiter)

I have just checked the information on it: Manufactoring date is 07/2012, shutter count was 218.

Camera is in new condition. I do like the WR 18-135 lens and it's size. I was planning on selling the lens to keep my upgrade costs down... but now I'm not sure if I will.

(attached photo is: straight Jpeg out of camera, resized only, no editing, ISO 20,000, F5.6, 1/80, 135mm)-Processed RAW should look much better
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
11-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by black-kx Quote
an update on my K-30 kit w/18-135mm

(attached photo is: straight Jpeg out of camera, resized only, no editing, ISO 20,000, F5.6, 1/80, 135mm)-Processed RAW should look much better
Congrats! you got a really good deal!