Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
O-RC1 water proof remote control

did anyone had a chance to test this water proof remote with the Q?
Pentax Remote Control WP reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
it suppose to have much better range than F.
It is weather sealed so how can you change battery ( can you)?

Attached Images

05-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think you can change the battery in it- which is sort of a bummer, but I've never had any of my remote control F's run dry.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you Adam,
yes, I never had to change battery in my F ( nearly 3 years old).
O-RC1 should be OK with the Q, one was just sold on AU eBay with black Q with assurance that they are happy with each other.
Zoom obviously will do nothing with Q, just wonder what Fn could possibly do

Last edited by i_trax; 05-12-2012 at 01:30 AM.
05-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the q and that remote. I'LLC try it out and report back.

The fn button may be for use with other Pentax point and shoots.

06-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I should have posted this about a month ago, but the waterproof remote works just fine with the q. Tried it this evening.
06-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you dmort.
"Fn" does anything?
kind regards
jack
06-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

THe Fn button doesn't do anything. However the focus button does work, you can autofocus remotely.

07-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #8

I used this remote for a couple of times. And now I can't find it ;'( have to buy a new one. The size is so tiny. I attached a lanyard to it too. I guess I'm just very disorganised.

Question - does the middle button focus and the top button release the shutter? Is it how it's supposed to be used? I wasn't really sure. Other cheap remotes on ebay only has one button to operate.
12-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Short answer: no you can't

I bought one a few month ago. Now I believe the battery's dead already . So I tried to change it (basically sending it back for replacement would nearly cost its price, so I thought it'd be better to do it myself).

Unfortunately it's all glued and welded together. Once you remove the 4 screws on the back, you have to pull hard to unglue the circuits from the top plastic part (where the buttons are). Then you have to unscrew two more very little tiny screws to remove the the circuit board from the bottom. There is the battery, on the board... but the contacts are welded (2-points)! Cheap electronics! They basically won't go!

Now my remote is definitely dead I think.

So to answer i_trax' question: no, you can't change the battery (it's a CR2025 by the way). But not because it's weather sealed (you could replace the seal pretty easily I think), but because it's cheap electronics.
12-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #10

Just a short follow-up on yesterday's post. I bought a replacement battery. Took a flat screwdriver, pushed hard on the weld. Nothing broke
I put the replacement battery in place, closed and screwed the remote back in place. I aimed at my camera and fired... Yay!

Not sure it is waterproof anymore, but basically you can change the battery, although it's a pain in the ass.

I should note my remote stopped working again after the first shot. I think it has something worse than a dead battery
02-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You can very easily change the "button cell" in the Remote F. Use a JIS or Philips cross head screw driver to remove the little black screws. Pull the plastic shell apart. Push out the old cell from the battery holder on the tiny motherboard, and push a new one in. Close it up.
Chinese ones fro evil Bay cost $ 2 t0 3 and work just as well.
Now I cannot understand how you can get these tiny devices wet? I think the waterproof O-RC1 Remote is just a high priced gimmick.
02-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #12

Remote Battery Blues

Half way through the diss-assembly the remote decided to work again. Perhaps the battery was out of place. I would however like to know there's new fresh (relatively) battery in there.
The way you can tell if in fact a remote control is working even without it's paired device is to press the button and aim it at your video or live view camera - the digital sensor can see the infra and near infrared - you will see it flashing! In so far as getting it wet. It's nice to have devices that you don't have to worry about when you are outdoors. I love to set up my WG3 with a little grip-pod to take group photos even when it's raining. Doesn't everything get wet sooner or later in India anyway?
02-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
Forum Member

JJC remote works well and is very cheap. Easy to replace slide out battery compartment too.
02-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #14

JJC Card Style Compact IR Remote for Pentax / Samsung Cameras (E7) #00075771
Is this the one? I see it advertised for $5.99. I suppose that it can be made waterproof by placing it in a ziplock bag.
02-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

For the cost of a replacement battery, I bought a UNIVERSAL REMOTE for a paltry $ 2.99 with FREE shipping from an eBay Seller called "buyhere99" -
see attachment. Works great with my K-5 and K-20D. Worked well with my nieces Nikon 5200 too. More grippable than the Pentax Remote.
I have seen this model plastered all over eBay and Amazon com for almost the same price.
The battery tray slides out at the press of a button and you can put in a new battery when the old one dies (estimated life of 3-years). Again batteries are very expensive in the US (one-fourth the price here in Bangalore), so why buy a battery when you can buy the Remote for the same price or even cheaper.
I just do not know how these Chinese manufactures ships it thru USPS - yes with USPS / CHINA POST dual labels - for a paltry $ 2.99???
I have used USPS and I can tell you it would cost twice more than the $ 2.99 for shipping alone in the US.
Regards.