Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #661
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm expecting Adam to drop by any minute and say:
If you buy the OEM adapter you wouldn't have to ...............
But, at $250 and another $50 for a hard to find tripod foot, I'll keep focusing my peaking inside the lens to see just what I have going on in there.

02-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #662
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
But, at $250 and another $50 for a hard to find tripod foot
You just got BlackBalled from the Pentax Gearheads Club.

When it warms up let's get together and you can try out the expensive version.
02-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #663
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You just got BlackBalled from the Pentax Gearheads Club.

When it warms up let's get together and you can try out the expensive version.
Sounds good, if it ever warms up around here.
Bring on the Spring!
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
But, at $250 and another $50 for a hard to find tripod foot,
For some of us the tripod foot was about $1500. Of course that came with a free Pentax DA*300.
If you ever use the Pentax oem adapter you will never go back.
thanks
barondla

02-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think someone with a Fotodiox needs to do a how-to video. If I had one I'd do it.
02-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I think someone with a Fotodiox needs to do a how-to video. If I had one I'd do it.
Well, it isn't as though the video on my K-01 has had much of a work out. I think to make it interesting, I'd have to add a little "Who's on first" routine to go along with it.

And then you have a guy in Saint Louis saying he can hardly wait until it gets warm. For us in Minnesota, well you've already got summer down there!
02-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #667
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
And then you have a guy in Saint Louis saying he can hardly wait until it gets warm. For us in Minnesota, well you've already got summer down there!
Summer? We'll talk in August .

02-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #668
Veteran Member

Some confusion has taken place regarding how the newer (adjustable) Fotodiox adapter works. It is correct that all the K mount lenses have the aperture lever and work in the same way. Mounting a lens on this adapter always should be done with the collar in the marked "open" position which ensures a clean mount coupling (as the lens faces out, this is the left or counter-clockwise position). If the lens has its own physical aperture, just leave the adapter collar alone and use the more-precise ring on the lens. If you have a modern mount lens with no physical aperture the coupler collar will open up the aperture as you move the adapter collar to the right (clockwise) into the marked "locked" fully open aperture position.

Mounting a lens when the Fotodiox adapter collar is in the marked "locked" position probably will not do damage, but the coupling system may or may not work depending on how the lever and pin mesh. At worst, you might have to giggle or carefully pull away the lens lever outward (away from the center of the lens to get it re-aligned correctly).
I don't have my adapter just now, but I know my K mount. Even if the "lock" position is in fact the open position there's no reason for this to harm a lens when mounted. That's the position all normal K mount cameras always are in when mounting lenses. (And of course the closed position, apparently labeled "open", doesn't even touch the lever on the lens.)

So even if I confuse people about the labeling on the adapter this should never harm anything. Except their minds of course, but mine is already broken, so it's only reasonable if I break others.
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Except their minds of course, but mine is already broken
Yeah, excelent performance from my mind here. My adapter isn't even made by Fotodiox, but rather RJ. Or at least that's what it has printed on it. It seems to be the same as the Fotodiox adapter though, except for reversing the Lock<->Open positions (text only, not function).
02-28-2013, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #670
Veteran Member

Actually, the adapter is properly marked because the implied concept is unrelated to the iris opening. Think of "open" as disengaged or free. Left in this setting, the lens pin and the adapter pin on a lens with a physical aperture never need to engage. For those of us who want the physical lens aperture unencumbered, we leave the setting open and make our exacting adjustments using the more-precise and well marked physical aperture. If you start using with the coupler on the adapter, then you run into the possibility that the lens will stay open when you are trying to close it down later using the lens aperture. I don't know why that happens, but it does (tested and confirmed this on several lenses that have properly working apertures).

On a modern lens that lacks a physical aperture ring, the adapter will work correctly whether or not the coupler is positioned in the "lock" or "open" position. It is also true that every K-mount body accepts lenses in the position that is similar to what is marked "lock" on the adapter. It is also correct that mounting in either position will not damage a mechanism; however, for some reason there have been times when I have had to jiggle the lens pin on lenses with a physical aperture in order to restore full range of aperture function. For purposes of consistency, I strongly urge people to remember to always mount a lens with the Fotodiox or similar collared coupler set to "open."

As requested by crewl1, I have put together a video indicating the proper technique posted on Youtube at

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 02-28-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: video has fully rendered...
02-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Jim. I've added the link to the video to the sticky Pentax Q Resources thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/158849-pentax-q-resources.html
Anyone can add helpful links to that thread, and referring new users there will probably answer a lot of their questions.
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #672
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tigers vs Rays

Detroit Tigers won 12 to 2 Q with my DA 18-135 @ about 60mm. I didn't know how much of a lens I would need from my seat so I took the zoom. It was fun trying to capture action with the Q and the Fotodiox adapter, got some jello distorted bats but captured a few balls. All shots were within range of my Kr with 55-300 and I should have taken that, the results would have been easier to capture.

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by hnikesch; 02-28-2013 at 07:13 PM.
02-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #673
Veteran Member

As requested by crewl1, I have put together a video indicating the proper technique.
Well if that doesn't clarify this, nothing will.

Thanks for taking the time to make and share the video. Nice clear concise instructions - a great addition to the Q resource department.
02-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Tigers vs Rays Detroit Tigers won 12 to 2 Q with my DA 18-135 @ about 60mm. I didn't know how much of a lens I would need from my seat so I took the zoom. It was fun trying to capture action with the Q and the Fotodiox adapter, got some jello distorted bats but captured a few balls. All shots were within range of my Kr with 55-300 and I should have taken that the results would have been easier to capture. Hans
Hans, great work. What's up with those illegal bats? You are really putting the Q through its paces.
02-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #675
Veteran Member

Those bats are a special edition for Spring training! Who needs performance enhancers when you have those bats? New growth wood just doesn't measure up, I guess.

Seriously, that really tells you when it comes to action shooting, you need a mechanical shutter even when your hand (railing, monopod, tripod) is rock steady. Of course, if you want to do a bit of mind binding along with weird motion blur, then the Fotodiox adapter is a very good vehicle for it!