Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q10 arrives. Q10 vs Q comparison images.

Q10 arrived at camera store today. Borrowed demo to compare with my Q. Both cameras have newest firmware. These were all shot in Raw. Normally I process in supplied Silkypix Raw converter. Q10 wouldn't open in my orig K-01/Q copy. Didn't think to borrow new software from store. These DNGs were converted in Photoshop Elements 8. Only converted to jpegs and resized (one rotated). No levels, cropping, WB, etc was done in editing. Set both Q up the same - lowest noise reduction possible. Go easy on me the shots were done in about 40 minutes before dark. Testing isn't easy.
thanks
barondla

Q then Q10 image.
"Bench" f2.2 1/80, iso125.
"Playground Tunnel" f2.5 1/50 iso125.
All handheld with SR on.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
10-29-2012, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for posting the samples! To me it looks like the verdict is that the Q had a P&S sensor, and the Q10 also has a P&S sensor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks for posting the samples! To me it looks like the verdict is that the Q had a P&S sensor, and the Q10 also has a P&S sensor.
HAHA, ya... But a really good point and shoot sensor, I need to show some of the examples of image I have saved because I shot raw, the Qs DR is beyond a P&S...

Images look the same to me, but what I want to know is how was the processing times? I figured they both have the new firmware but the Q10 has the new hardware and I was thinking thats where the difference will be made...
10-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If it's got faster performance, then Pentax did what they said they did, which is great! I wonder if the Q10's processor is a prime M derivative.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
bmonki, the Q10 shoots faster. Q on jpeg lo speed drive shoots about 5-6 then really slows down. Same settings on Q10 got 33 and never slowed down. They were both tested on same PNY class 10 16gb card. Q10 also quit blinking the "working" light on the back much quicker. Q10 probably would have gone more than 33 shots - I got tired and stopped it.

Will try more tomorrow.
thanks
barondla
10-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I've always found the Q buffer to be too small. I don't need a firehose, but I do need enough buffer to hold a couple RAW files.
10-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
bmonki, the Q10 shoots faster. Q on jpeg lo speed drive shoots about 5-6 then really slows down. Same settings on Q10 got 33 and never slowed down. They were both tested on same PNY class 10 16gb card. Q10 also quit blinking the "working" light on the back much quicker. Q10 probably would have gone more than 33 shots - I got tired and stopped it.

Will try more tomorrow.
thanks
barondla
Thats where I figured the differences would show is in processing speed, nice to know it's a lot faster, can make a big difference in street shooting, I dont go blastign photos but sometimes you can have a moment after the moment you had a moment and the buffer can get annoying, but thankfully doesn't go for to long so I could imagine it feeling speedy on the Q10, why did they have to cheap out on the body and give the annoying colors, I'm sorry but if you live in an inner city the colors RED are off limits as thats associated with gangs, no one rocks full red gear in america unless you live in the boonies and no nothing about what colors are associated with what...