Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How does the Q compare to my other cameras

I shot images with 3 cameras, to the left The Kr with 12 mp APS-C Cmos sensor with DA 35 f2.4 rated by this site as sharpness 9.2, Center my Can** S100 1/1.7 Cmos 12 mp sensor zoom set to 50mm EFL, Right the Q With 12mp 1/2.3 Cmos sensor with 01 f1.9 Prime EFL 47mm rated by this site 8.6 in sharpness.
All images were shot Jpeg straight from the camera with no, pp just some in camera exposure comp the render common exposures. All the images are very close in IQ but when pixel peeping IQ does line up with sensor size the Kr with the largest sensor and best IQ to the Q with smallest sensor and the lowest IQ. But the difference is in my opinion very slight and much less than I had expected. I didn't get the Q to replace my DSLR but to do things it couldn't do.

Hans

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
11-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't argue with sensor size!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice comparison. I find that the full images are very pleasing on many of the settings. It's so small that it's a joy to carry - even with 2 extra huge batteries. I just may be selling my K-x as a result of getting my Q.
11-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I didn't get the Q to replace my DSLR but to do things it couldn't do.
+1 Exactly my reasons for getting a Q! It also does things my compact cameras (Panasonic & W90) cannot do, like manual exposure and good-looking B/W.

11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

[more Q fanboy comments] I also ran a similar test but compared the Q to all my small sensor bodies as well as the k-5. As I hoped, the Q was noticably better quality than my Canon Elph300HS, Sony DSC-HX10V (with its 18mp sensor) and Sony DSC-HX100V bridge at all ISOs. Bottom line is I feel you really get more than your money's worth in IQ for the size of body and sensor.