Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #91

Barondla, I'm pretty sure it's the adapter. The Q10 continues to work with the 02 lens. After reaching a temperature everything I see is the black screen (the Q10 keeps showing exposure info, and menus, settings are enabled) and only taking it indoors helps.

12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the adapter's manual specify operating temperature range? 0 degrees Celsius isn't really that cold -- I would expect most photographic equipment to be designed to continue functioning.

Especially if Pentax claims it to work this might be worth mentioning to Pentax. From a practical standpoint of course, unless Pentax thinks your adapter is defective and replaces it with one that works, if it really won't work then you need to figure out what you can do...

Can you keep the adapter inside your coat until you need it? Can you revive it by putting it back inside your coat for a few minutes? Can some sort of external insulation or heater keep it warmer a little longer? When you say 10 exposures, how long is the adapter (presumeably attached to the camera) exposed to the cool air?
12-05-2012, 03:40 PM - 2 Likes   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Official adapter manual

I haven't seen this on the Pentax website so I scanned my copy for anyone who is interested.
If there is a place for manuals in the forum let me know, or mods feel free to move.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pentax K-Q Adapter Manual.pdf (1.89 MB, 562 views)
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Does the adapter's manual specify operating temperature range?
Oops yes 0-40 degrees C.

12-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #95

40 degrees shouldn't be a problem unless you live in the south but direct sunlight might warm it up quickly. I will try to create a double-layer sleeve for the adapter that protects it during use. It will look absurd on the camera but if it helps, why not... (A new open market for Asian manufacturers.)
12-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #96

So how is the leaf shutter triggered? Is there a mechanical linkage? How about a photo of the back end of the adapter and some Q lenses? Thanks.
12-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So how is the leaf shutter triggered? Is there a mechanical linkage? How about a photo of the back end of the adapter and some Q lenses? Thanks.
Electronically.

12-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #98

Mode compatibility?

I have read that if a DA lens or "A" to "FA" lens is mounted on the Pentax K to Q adapter, and if the lens is set to the "A" position, then the camera can set and adjust the aperture.

If so, does this allow the lens and the Q to operate in a "P" or shutter priority mode?
12-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
I have read that if a DA lens or "A" to "FA" lens is mounted on the Pentax K to Q adapter, and if the lens is set to the "A" position, then the camera can set and adjust the aperture.

If so, does this allow the lens and the Q to operate in a "P" or shutter priority mode?
Not sure how that could be as there are no contacts on the K side of the adapter and you set the aperture manually with the continuous lever on the adapter itself.
12-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote

You can't set the aperture on the camera. Aperture can only be adjusted on the adapter (and only by telling how much you wish to close it). In P, Tv or BC, the camera will be forced to stay in Av, but you may use M to control shutter speed.
12-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pihe Quote
You can't set the aperture on the camera. Aperture can only be adjusted on the adapter (and only by telling how much you wish to close it). In P, Tv or BC, the camera will be forced to stay in Av, but you may use M to control shutter speed.
Yes -- that was something of a surprise -- and you can't change a fixed ISO in M, but you can change it in the other modes, then switch back to M. . . a little inconvenient, but I think I can work with it. . . and the flash protocols are still wonky. . .Pentax engineers still have some work to do IMO

Scott
12-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Yes -- that was something of a surprise -- and you can't change a fixed ISO in M, but you can change it in the other modes, then switch back to M. . . a little inconvenient, but I think I can work with it. . .
What? Is this something that's specific to the adapter or something? Because I can certainly change the ISO however I like in M, with any type of lens I have. (With shutter, without shutter, with no electronics at all.)
12-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
What? Is this something that's specific to the adapter or something? Because I can certainly change the ISO however I like in M, with any type of lens I have. (With shutter, without shutter, with no electronics at all.)
Nope-- I just tried it again, and now it works like it should -- I was playing with it earlier and was locked out from the ISO screen. . . I have no idea what I did to make that happen. . . sorry!

Scott
12-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Quick question.
My adapter makes a little clicking noise when I handle it, and on closer inspection there is a little lever on the inside that freely moves. The lever must grab something as it doesn't make the noise with a lens attached.

Anyone else? Normal?
12-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes - that is the aperture setting lever that is linked to the dial on the adapter. In one direction you can watch it move as you move the dial.