Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Scott can you publish the link for the tripod rings, I have a 42mm to Q adapter without a tripod mount that could sure use one.

Thanks Hans
Hi Hans,

The Pentax K to Q adapter is probably quite a bit larger diameter than your M42 to Q adapter -- the perfect ring would probably have a 67 or 67.5mm ID. My RJ K to Q is a bit small for my 65mm ring that fits my FA* 300 f4.5 but could be modded for it if I needed to. If you can measure the outside diameter of your adapter, I might be able to find one that's at least close.

Scott

01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just got off the phone with Lynn - Pentax parts - and my order for the DA*300 tripod foot was not in the shipment that just came in. She said maybe the next shipment. I then asked if she could add another to my order, since after reading this thread, I assumed more were on order. I asked how many she expects in, and she said "Just yours and now the extra I ordered for stock".

I said, "what do you mean?"

She said that there hasn't been much request for this item and apart from the one I ordered, she ordered one more for her stock, and it was good that I called, because now I was getting it too.

Ok..so here we have a disconnect.

As far as I know there is a single company and a single woman, that is the Pentax parts importer - and I was speaking to her.

Who is the woman who said a bunch were going to be made available?

Last edited by LaurenOE; 01-10-2013 at 11:43 AM.
01-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The part is from part # 48140 (DA*300 ED (IF) SDM)

48140.0D401 Tripod Seat Assy
01-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The part is from part # 48140 (DA*300 ED (IF) SDM)

48140.0D401 Tripod Seat Assy
That's the one that is <$50, right?

Pentax Parts......

01-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's the one that is <$50, right?

Pentax Parts......
Yep. Since I have the DA*300, I can verify everything is correct and works with the K to Q adapter.
01-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She has my credit card info, so maybe that has something to do with ordering.
Dunno.
Sometimes I wonder if folks know how interconnected enthusiasts are these days.
You can't tell one person something one day, and tell another something else the other.
Maybe Pentax is making a retail version of this foot available?
I have to believe there is some kind of innocent mistake here.
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yep. Since I have the DA*300, I can verify everything is correct and works with the K to Q adapter.
Most excellent, thanks.

She has my credit card info, so maybe that has something to do with ordering.
Dunno.
Sometimes I wonder if folks know how interconnected enthusiasts are these days.
You can't tell one person something one day, and tell another something else the other.
I have to believe there is some kind of innocent mistake here.
Don't get me started about the lame answers from Randall S and his inconsistencies between members here in the answers received.

01-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I spoke to Lynn today as well before I saw your message.
She also told me they did not come in and she expected them in the next order.
When I first asked her about this in December she indicated she had a number on order but I did not press her on a count.
Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and confirm an order with a cc since I have not done that yet.
01-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I spoke to Lynn today as well before I saw your message.
She also told me they did not come in and she expected them in the next order.
When I first asked her about this in December she indicated she had a number on order but I did not press her on a count.
Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and confirm an order with a cc since I have not done that yet.
Larry,
For what its worth, unless you actually pay for it you are unlikely to get it from Pentax USA in my experience. If you want one I'd put my CC on the line with them.
-Robert
01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there are two ways for Pentax to sell the tripod foot. One as a replacement part, which would be ordered thru the parts department. Second would be thru the standard retail dealers. Since Pentax only ordered a few as parts it appears they are going to sell the majority of these as retail items. This would include packaging (box) etc. This makes sense. Pentax doesn't need to carry many of these as replacement parts, since few need replacing. It is like trying to order a new car thru the parts department.

The retail side will carry far more tripod feet as an accessory. Bet that was the large amount mentioned. This is much more efficient for them.

Lost track. Did any of the third party rotating tripod collars pan out for use on the Pentax Q-PK adapter?
thanks
barondla
01-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Lost track. Did any of the third party rotating tripod collars pan out for use on the Pentax Q-PK adapter?
Hi barondla,

I posted some observations.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/208945-chinese-tripod-rings-pentax-k2q-adapter.html

Either of these will do with a few easy mods IMO . . . but there are a few downsides I found. I haven't used either of these in the field yet, and that usually causes weaknesses to show up, so the jury's still officially out I'd think.

Look at some followup posts with additional information

Scott
01-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
Pentaxian

You can already buy them in Japan (and have it shipped to you). Of course, that doesn't mean the US office knows anything about this...

I had a company in Hong Kong reverse-engineering a knock-off foot, but then read crewl1's announcement that they were available officially via Pentax US for ~$45, and my manufacturer and I agreed it wasn't worth the effort for the eventual price (would've been ~$50). It's still cheaper to buy and ship them from Japan!
01-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

the tripod foot is equal to the price of a 3rd party adapter with tripod foot...
01-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
the tripod foot is equal to the price of a 3rd party adapter with tripod foot...
Maybe but I wouldn't trust the tripod foot on the Fotodiox for anything more than a small prime unless you beef it up.
01-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Maybe but I wouldn't trust the tripod foot on the Fotodiox for anything more than a small prime unless you beef it up.
. . . and even beefed up, I'd be a little leery trusting a $500 or $1K lens on it. . .

Scott