Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
06 lens ?

anyone using the 06 lens ? and what do you think of it ?

01-05-2013, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Hi dh4412,

I haven't shot it much, but first impressions are that it's sharp throughout the zoom range wide open. CA/PF seems to be pretty well controlled. It easily outperforms the 02 zoom. At very close to the same size (in the storage position) as the 02 zoom, it clearly shows the advantage of the small sensor ILC, IMO. I can't imagine any other format where the kit zoom and a fast constant aperture portrait to long tele zoom would be almost the same size and weight

Focusing outdoors is fast, indoors, it's pretty slow (and I'm being kind).

Bottom line, for a constant f2.8 long event zoom, it's a significant bargain IMO. I haven't heard of anyone who has it and doesn't like it.

Scott
01-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the reply snostorm, sounds like a good lens, wondering to get that one , over using the adapter and manual lenses, have not been really satisfied with the images i'm getting from the adapters and lenses, yet
01-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #4

Makes me hope for a constant 2.8 standard zoom. I have the 02, nice lens but I think not as good as the sensor. Wonder why Pentax didn't make it that we from the start.

01-06-2013, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Riv

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
anyone using the 06 lens ? and what do you think of it ?

I've had mine about 3 weeks, even though I pre-ordered. Had issues with the 1st, severe electrical failure. The replacement has been working fine, and it's a great lens for the Q. I wish it shared the build quality of the 02 zoom as far as the barrel construction goes. I really don't like the flex in the focus ring, feels cheap. I shimmed mine with a couple strips from a plastic page protector, and it's much better. Doesn't flex anymore and has just a touch more resistance during MF than the 02. Shimming also fixed my second complaint about it, If you use the MF (2X/4X) feature on the Q you'll notice that while zooming it will jump into the magnified MF assist view. Even if your being extra careful not to touch the focus ring, any damping of the focus ring just isn't there and turning the zoom ring will at times cause it to move just enough to trip the MF assist. The shim isn't a prefect solution, but it's at least removable and doesn't require taking the lens apart. I really don't think it would have cost that much for Pentax to build that part of the lens the right way.

Over-all I'm happy with it, and you can't beat it's size for what it is
01-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instead of being repetitive, I agree with snostorm's assessment 100%. I'm very glad I bought this lens.

Addressing Riv's comments about the focus ring - when I first used mine, I had the same problem - I would turn the zoom ring, and at times the 4x focus magnification came up. I just sat down with the lens on the camera and paid attention to what was happening. The first time I turned the zoom ring without really looking at what I was doing, the 4x mag came up. Then I paid attention to where my fingers were placed on the lens with my second try. The 4x mag popped up again this time, but I saw the end of my finger was actually touching the focus ring. Now really paying attention to what I was doing and making sure my figures were on the zoom ring only, I zoomed in and out a bunch of times and the 4x mag never popped up. So with that, I can honestly say that there is nothing wrong with the focus ring on my lens - I just have to be sure that my fingers are only on the zoom ring.
01-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
not quite sure what you mean, Riv when you talk about shimming the lens ? you mean at the mount ? oh and i found with the manual focus 2x 4x that as soon as i put my finger on the shutter button that feature would turn off, so now focus with the magnification if i need to, then touch the shutter, is that what others have been doing ?

01-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Anyone willing to post some sample photos?
01-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
Riv

not quite sure what you mean, Riv when you talk about shimming the lens ? you mean at the mount ? oh and i found with the manual focus 2x 4x that as soon as i put my finger on the shutter button that feature would turn off, so now focus with the magnification if i need to, then touch the shutter, is that what others have been doing ?
Not at the mount, look at the front of the lens. I just placed a thin strip in the gap along the inside diameter of the focus ring. Yes, half pressing the shutter does cancel the MF assist feature, but that didn't help the zero dampening of the ring. I know it's focus by wire but it could have been dampened, and could have been made thicker to stop the flex (they did it on the 02).
01-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Riv,

Shimming this lens is an extremely good tip!!

Doing this might be a good idea if anyone plans on trying some add-on TCs to get more reach with AF as this would tend to keep things aligned and place less stress on the zoom helicoil which might become a problem with the extra weight hanging off the end of the lens.

Scott
01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
any way you can show a picture of this shim or shims, Riv, and just where and how it goes on the inside of the focusing ring ? if you can that would be cool.
01-07-2013, 03:59 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Riv

any way you can show a picture of this shim or shims, Riv, and just where and how it goes on the inside of the focusing ring ? if you can that would be cool.

Here ya go, it's really pretty simple. I spent more time watching how the lens works to make sure a shim could be used safely, than making the shim. And umm.. in my defense, I screwed up a little today. Left (part of) my Q kit sitting on my desk, as I forgot the wife had a contractor coming over to blow some insulation into the attic. So, after I post these quick and literally dirty shots, I'm off to do A LOT of clean up.. Didn't notice they blow that much dust around until I took these. Access to the attic is in my office/computer room...

This is the shim obviously removed from the lens. As you might be able to make out, I cut it from the edge of the page protector, leaving the welded seem intact.

Here it's half installed

This is pretty much fully installed. You can see it pretty well because the flash was used. Normally it would go un-noticed.

If you should need to remove it, a sewing needle(pin) can be used to lift the edge of it.

If you plan to make one, my advice would be to leave a couple times wider than the ring so you can remove it easy. My taste for the desired resistance will likely to be different than anyone else's. You could alter the resistance by making it longer or shorter, not to mention your choice of material to use may be a different thickness to start with. I choose the page protector because it was on hand and durable. Using something made from paper is probably a bad idea.
01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
Riv

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Riv,

Shimming this lens is an extremely good tip!!

Doing this might be a good idea if anyone plans on trying some add-on TCs to get more reach with AF as this would tend to keep things aligned and place less stress on the zoom helicoil which might become a problem with the extra weight hanging off the end of the lens.

Scott
From the above post you can now see where I was reffering to. I'm pretty sure you'd agree that this wouldn't really help shim out the inner barrel itself. If someone was going to try a front mounted TC, I'd personally look for one as close to 40.5mm tread as you can get.
01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice Riv - thanks for sharing your mod!
01-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #15

Original Poster
thanks Riv, that is plain as day now, i could not really envision it, amazing though that the tolerance of the ring even needs that, something that pentax hopefully will see somehow or other; pretty creative solution though, thanks again.