Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #1

Adapter/lens loose fit fix

I contacted Fotodiox about my OM to Q adapter having a loose fit. Here's the response I got from Fotodiox Tech Support:

"This is something that can happen with the adapters (sometimes right out of the box if the factory didn't position them right), the movement and looseness of the lens is due to the spring mechanism that’s used to hold the lens tight to the adapter. The 3 flanges in the middle of the adapter (that the lens locks onto) are split open slightly, this gap is what gives the tension that holds the lens tight to the body.

Over time and use this gap can decrease in size (or in your case, the factory just didn't open the gap enough), what can be done is to get a slim metal object (a flat eyeglass screwdriver is ideal) and insert it into the slit to open it up just a little bit (see attached image, make sure to do it to all 3 evenly). The more you open it up the tighter the lens will be to the adapter, too much and the lens will have a hard time mounting so make sure to do it just a little bit at a time, it doesn't take much at all to get a tight fit".

This easy fix worked great on my adapter. Now I don't have to send it back!

Lacro

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D700  Photo 
01-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for contacting the company and posting a quick fix. Job well done. You are going to have a lot of fun now! The Q is great fun.
thanks
barondla
01-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #3

That's a fix I had to apply to a cheap glassless Minolta MD to PK mount adapter. Some lenses are more snug then others and I have to repeat the procedure after using one of the very snug ones.

One of my old Kiron teleconverters has "springs" similar to those but one end is cut free so it is more of a finger. Either the metal is better or that design works better because I've never had to bend the "fingers" to get more tension.

The better teleconverters and adapters use actual steel springs as in the camera mount.

Thanks for sharing this simple fix.
01-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hrm, I wonder if that works on the Q flange as well...

Charles